Quantcast
What markets are the major DAWs geared to? - Page 3 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What markets are the major DAWs geared to?
Old 22nd September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul in SoCal ➑️
I don't "allow" for anything, read my reply again. Not really a fan of Pro Tools.
Once again, my opinion.

Glad you finally understood your childish behavior doesn't belong here.
Look... If I'm burying the hatchet here at least have the decency to do the same instead of trying to revert back to calling me childish.

I apologize for any insult I made.

Again though, you said Protools "would" become obsolete meaning you do not feel that it currently "is." So that is allowing for it.
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreyM ➑️
I actually didn't come in to bicker. I came to point out that Logic users don't use Logic simply because Apple makes it. But you're right about coming off it. I will move on now.
Ok, my bad. Good to know a lot people think logic is a fine DAW. It sounds great when i use it, prefer it to Pro Tools for sure. Not sure if it just interacts with the plug ins well or what the deal is, but its the best sounding DAW i have used.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Again though, you said Protools "would" become obsolete meaning you do not feel that it currently "is." So that is allowing for it.
In many ways, Pro Toos is indeed obsolete. No 64 bit, no VST. Happy now? But I'm pretty sure Avid will not let so many years leap before a major update that corrects all of that.
Old 22nd September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
I heard Rush uses Logic, those guys really mean business so i assume if they use it there is something worthy going on there.
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
In many ways, Pro Toos is indeed obsolete. No 64 bit, no VST. Happy now? But I'm pretty sure Avid will not let so many years leap before a major update that corrects all of that.
Is it still going to have that stiff sound and plastic feel? I know there has been a huge argument over whether or not DAWS sound different, but after using plug ins and mixdown there is a difference in sound i find. I just can't get on with the work i've done on pro tools, lots of factors in there of course.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
I actually do a ton of composition work in Logic using Kontakt and string libraries. If I didn't love Logic so much I would actually consider Cubase for MIDI work, but I really haven't found Logic to be lacking for what I do.

My composition work is secondary to my audio recording productions.
Old 22nd September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
I only know one composer personally and he uses Logic.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly_Rogers ➑️
Is it still going to have that stiff sound and plastic feel? I know there has been a huge argument over whether or not DAWS sound different, but after using plug ins and mixdown there is a difference in sound i find. I just can't get on with the work i've done on pro tools, lots of factors in there of course.
Oddly, I found Logic to be warmer somehow than Sonar, which is what I was using a few years back and I still think that's impossible. It's all 1s and 0s...

Still love Sonar. X2 looks wonderful.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
I heard Rush uses Logic, those guys really mean business so i assume if they use it there is something worthy going on there.
Ha, for a moment I though you meant Rush Limbaugh and was being sarcastic.
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Oddly, I found Logic to be warmer somehow than Sonar, which is what I was using a few years back and I still think that's impossible. It's all 1s and 0s...

Oh i meant Pro Tools. I agree somehow Logic sounds warmer, it must be the plug ins and the way Logic handles them, it just sounds good in my experience, which is not much, i don't own it.
Old 22nd September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
By the way Paul it looks like Sequoia is aimed at Radio and broadcasting at least partially, which is cool, because it does fit into a niche no other DAW i have heard of gets into.

"Sequoia – the Broadcast Audio Workstation for an efficient production process." is what their website says.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Ha, for a moment I though you meant Rush Limbaugh and was being sarcastic.
Well, we definitely agree on that.

Rush using logic?

I read that today he was commenting on a study in Italy that found male member size to be 10% smaller than 50 years ago. While the scientists aren't sure about the cause and they're investigating the environment as the likely culprit, he claimed that's all BS because the responsibility for such "shrinkage" lies entirely on the feminists (he actually used a different word, but apparently here I can't quote him literally...)

You can't make this s##t up.
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:

True, but not all analog to digital conversion sounds the same, shouldn't it since its just turning a signal into 1s and 0s? Like i said though, if that is the case then it must have something to do with the way it handles plug ins, because not all DAWs have the same processes for those things.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Well, we definitely agree on that.

Rush using logic?

I read that today he was commenting on a study in Italy that found male member size to be 10% smaller than 50 years ago. While the scientists aren't sure about the cause and they're investigating the environment as the likely culprit, he claimed that's all BS because the responsibility for such "shrinkage" lies entirely on the "femi****s."

You can't make this s##t up.
Haha, well, I'm actually a right winger so I like Limbaugh but things like that are ridiculous. I think he says some things for publicity and nothing more. Has to... that's insane.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
True, but not all analog to digital conversion sounds the same, shouldn't it since its just turning a signal into 1s and 0s? Like i said though, if that is the case then it must have something to do with the way it handles plug ins, because not all DAWs have the same processes for those things.
The difference is the audio a DAW handles is already digital. No conversion is made. I think the difference is like you said. Plugin handling. And also panning law. I know that Logic's pan knobs also don't use percentage like +/- 100%. It goes by MIDI value 63 on one side and 64 on the other (127 MIDI values total.)
Old 22nd September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I think another difference might be the summing algorithms which they use.

However the differences are very subtle.

If there are any daw programmers here please chime in
Old 22nd September 2012
Lives for gear

8 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Somewhere out there, there's a guys making better sounding stuff on an opposing DAW from what each of us use. Know what I mean? Lets move onto other topics ... like the Neumann TLM 103 (kidding).
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Cubase has peerless MIDI functions (like note expression.) Also a competent scoring page. Favorite of composers, jazz musicians etc.

Nuendo is the standard for post-production.

Pro Tools is known for its excellent handling of audio and for being a de facto standard in commercial studios.

Sonar has the best interface on the market and it truly shines on multiple screens. Plus the Pro Channel is quite unique.

Reaper is famous for its ridiculously low cost.

Reason attracts the electronic music crowd.

FL Studio same as Ableton (loops, dj's etc.)

Samplitude/Sequoia I don't really know much about those, but I have the impression they're favored by those who like to feel "different"...

Logic is mostly loved by its users because Apple makes it.
OP here- Thanks for this very informative post-curious about a few things:

1. what is "note expression" re: Cubase?
2. is pro-tools mainly used with live audio inputs since it handles audio so well? (live recordings)
3. re: Nuendo-what do you mean by "post production", is this mixing, FX. EQ, etc.? Why would a person buy a DAW just for that unless they were mainly recording live?
4. Does Sonar's "best interface" mean it is the easiest for the average person to learn or that it is the most intuitive way to make music?
5. You said Reason attracts the electronic music crowd- what features are they liking in Reason- I thought EDM was mainly loops and fades?
6. How are Ableton and FL different?

Thanks
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianellefson ➑️
Somewhere out there, there's a guys making better sounding stuff on an opposing DAW from what each of us use. Know what I mean? Lets move onto other topics ... .

I think that hits the nail on the head. And I'm open to being blown away from any format. For example I have Ableton but never use it. N yet i have this you tube clip which keeps me firmly in my place,.. Nothing but respect and love for this. Enjoy!

Making of "The Prodigy - Smack My Bitch Up" in Ableton by Jim Pavloff - YouTube
Motown legend

🎧 15 years
Quote:

Nuendo is the standard for post-production.
On what planet is this?
Old 22nd September 2012
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
lol, this topic was succesfully trolled by the first answer
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dene ➑️
Samplitude/Sequoia is very popular with mastering engineers.
Also very popular in the classical music world, for Sequoia's 4-point source/destination editing. Very useful when you're cutting together 100+ edits in a single piece of music.
Old 22nd September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
there is no industry standard for composers. composers usually work in their home studios or with their laptops and they use whatever they like.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
They don't. I'm quite happy that so many of my competitors can't appreciate the immense value of note expression. So yeah, Logic is the greatest!
As they said in ancient Rome, "quod erat demonstrandum."

I could excuse Logic's lack of midi functions (IMO it is one of the best) but the audio editing and handling, low resolution mono (even in stereo files) waveforms is plainly unacceptable.
Logic needs a serious update. End of story. No matter how die-hard fans some people are they should at least agree on that. I am a long time Logic and Cubase user and have almost abandoned Logic in favor of Cubase. However I would be very interested to see an update soon.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by login ➑️
lol, this topic was succesfully trolled by the first answer
I think my first post was an informed opinion. You may like it or not, but it was a honest opinion. Ironic how your post falls exactly into the definition you're describing.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lune ➑️
OP here- Thanks for this very informative post-curious about a few things:

1. what is "note expression" re: Cubase?
2. is pro-tools mainly used with live audio inputs since it handles audio so well? (live recordings)
3. re: Nuendo-what do you mean by "post production", is this mixing, FX. EQ, etc.? Why would a person buy a DAW just for that unless they were mainly recording live?
4. Does Sonar's "best interface" mean it is the easiest for the average person to learn or that it is the most intuitive way to make music?
5. You said Reason attracts the electronic music crowd- what features are they liking in Reason- I thought EDM was mainly loops and fades?
6. How are Ableton and FL different?

Thanks
1. The ability to edit MIDI parameters down to the single note and independently of channel.
2. Yes. Also Pro Tools is great for mixing.
3. A post-production studio needs a DAW to add material and FX to existing audio material, or to modify the latter. And yes, it could also involve adding live material, like a solo instrument or voice overdub.
4. It doesn't necessarily have to do with how easy it is to learn it, more like how easy it is to use it. The skylight interface is modular and very rationally organized. You have all these modules that can appear or disappear from the screen with a simple keystroke and each one can be floated and resized to any other screen. Sonar's competitors would be stupid to not copy that, and my prediction is that they eventually will. Man, if Cubase could do that it could really approach absolute perfection (in fact that's what many Cubase users are expecting from version 7. I hope Steinberg will deliver.)
5. I didn't say EDM, more like pure electronic music. Reason is a closed system (no third-party plugins allowed), which means inherently more stable and its virtual synthesizers are legendary.
6. You're asking the wrong person here. Really not familiar with either one.
Old 22nd September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Territorial pissings...

Appologies OP

🎧 10 years
Nuendo is a leader in post?

I've only ever seen one film post studio using Nuendo. Most are PT.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by narcoman ➑️
Nuendo is a leader in post?

I've only ever seen one film post studio using Nuendo. Most are PT.
I've seen many studios using Studio One, that does not make it industry standard.

And by the way:

References

It seems there is much more than one.

Now, after saying this I don't support the argument that Nuendo is the industry standard. ProTools STILL is the industry standard, I agree with you on that. This does not mean that Nuendo is far behind and certainly many studios have adopted it. And if ProTools continue to release proprietary formats making old formats redundant and pricing updates so high (let alone the Sibelius fiasco by Avid), I see professionals turning to other solutions gradually.
After all, ProTools has nothing more to offer nowadays except for the "industry Standard" compatibility. If Avid does not change their ways soon things might change dramatically.
Old 23rd September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Paul in So Cal

I have learned a lot from your posts- you seem to know a lot about various daws- two last questions and I won't bug you any more

1. Am I correct in thinking that if a person wanted the two most opposite daws from each other in order to have a variety of tools and methods to compose- would those two be Cubase and Ableton? one geared to a lot of detailed linear MIDI and the other more loop, layer based?

2. Which daw is the best for someone who wants a very fluid, intuitive way to compose with beats, bass, sample triggering, moving objects around to hear them play in different configurations. I want a daw that feels like improvising on a piano.

I am not interested in ultimate mastering, massive numbers of tracks, sophisitcated MIDI tricks (or anything MIDI!), recording live. i am not producing something to sell or that needs to sound professional. i just want something that allows for super easy creativity and flexibility in creating original compositions without having to master lots of details, quantizing, drop down menus, etc.

Something with preset beats, bass lines, etc that can be modified would be great. I'm thinking of a DAW that is almost like one of those cheap Yamaha PSR keyboards- but on steroids.

It must allow wav samples, third party VST's etc. Anything that is easy to preview sounds would be great (mouse over an object and hear it before importing it) Piano roll is an asset.

This is a lot I know but I would appreciate any ideas- i want to jam on a daw
πŸ“ Reply