Quantcast
What markets are the major DAWs geared to? - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What markets are the major DAWs geared to?
Old 22nd September 2012 | Show parent
  #31
Lives for gear
 
TreyM's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul in SoCal ➡️
BTW, I hold two music masters in piano and composition, so I guess you could call me a professor, kid.
Super impressed here...
Old 22nd September 2012 | Show parent
  #32
Lives for gear
 
Paul in SoCal's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreyM ➡️
HAHAHA. Totally clear? LOL you are hilarious.

How old were you when you first got telepathic powers to know what someone believes? And over the internet no less!
I see, maybe English isn't your first language.
Do you know what a rhetorical question is?
Old 22nd September 2012
  #33
Lives for gear
 
Ntk drummer's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul in SoCal ➡️
James Horner uses Pro Tools.
James Newton Howard uses Cubase.
Dave Newman uses Cubase.
Karim Sebastian Elias uses Cubase.
Howard Shore, Michael Giacchino and Don Davis use Digital Performer.

So, what is your claim that Logic is "the standard" among composers based on?
I didn't make that claim. Perhaps you should read my posts again.

But if you're open to considering that you're wrong about logic being obsolete the following link might be interesting.

http://www.logicprohelp.com/vip_users.php

http://www.apple.com/logicpro/in-action/

But I suppose you're now going to claim that these artists are obsolete or that they're using outdated hardware and that what ever you say is correct and accurate without needing to present facts.
Old 22nd September 2012 | Show parent
  #34
Lives for gear
 
Paul in SoCal's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ntk drummer ➡️
I didn't make that claim. Perhaps you should read my posts again.
Your words, verbatim:

"He mentions one composers name and then claims that he proved that logic isn't a standard for composers."

Ever heard of the argumentum ad ignorantiam fallacy? You can't prove a negative... In other words, the assumption that Logic is an industry standard for composers has to be proven. And I have seen nothing of that sort from you or the other guy.

Quote:
But if you're open to considering that you're wrong about logic being obsolete the following link might be interesting.

Logic Pro Help
I don't see many composers in that list (it's mostly pop/rock musicians and producers.) And I know for sure that at least one of them no longer uses Logic (probably more than one...) Do you know how many film composers operate around the world? That list should be crammed with their names, assuming what you claim is true (that Logic is an industry standard.) So, why aren't they there?
Old 22nd September 2012
  #35
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
Old 22nd September 2012 | Show parent
  #36
Lives for gear
 
Paul in SoCal's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreyM ➡️
You're trying really hard to focus on Cubase and film score, but this is actually about your idiotic "Logic is obsolete" gaff.

Is Protools obsolete because it is still 32 bit? If so, is it no longer "Industry Standard?"

I suppose UAD cards and Protools HD systems are also obsolete because native plugins exist?

Hardware outboard gear is obsolete because plugins exist?
Actually I never mentioned industry standards, you and the other guy did. And when I asked you for proof that Logic is the industry standard for composers, I got zippo in reply...

But please keep with the insults, you're going to be very popular with the administrators of this board, whom of course have already received reports of your abusive behavior.
Old 22nd September 2012 | Show parent
  #37
Lives for gear
 
TreyM's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul in SoCal ➡️
Actually I never mentioned industry standards, you and the other guy did. And when I asked you for proof that Logic is the industry standard for composers, I got zippo in reply...

But please keep with the insults, you're going to be very popular with the administrators of this board, whom of course have already received reports of your abusive behavior.
No one claimed Logic was industry standard of anything. The other guy ASKED if it was. I never did. Last time I checked, a question still isn't a statement of fact. It's an inquiry. I don't know why you're asking the guy who asked the same question for proof of what he's asking about, but then again, you've made very little sense so...

So stop ignoring my questions. Read my post above. Is Protools obsolete too?
Old 22nd September 2012 | Show parent
  #38
Lives for gear
 
Paul in SoCal's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreyM ➡️
No one claimed Logic was industry standard of anything. The other guy ASKED if it was.
Like I said, you obviously have no idea what a rhetorical question is. Maybe you should google it...

As for you, this is what you said:

"Yes, Hans Zimmer is the WHOLE industry."

Mocking me for failing to disprove that Logic is the industry standard. Something neither you nor the other guy have ever proved in the first place.

As for protools, your question is a non-sequitur, but I'll answer it anyway. In many ways, Pro Tools isn't the best DAW for composers or songwriters, not only because it isn't 64 bit but also because it can't use VST's, which have pretty much become an industry standard lately. So, if Pro Tools isn't updated for as long as Logic hasn't been, it will definitely become an obsolete DAW. Even though it will still be an industry standard (the music business is anything but rational...)

Waiting for your next volley of insults.
Old 22nd September 2012
  #39
Lives for gear
 
Leevi's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Some "famous" Logic Pro composers are:

Ramin Djawadi
Henry Jackman
Geoff Zanelli
Klaus Badelt
Blake Neely
Old 22nd September 2012 | Show parent
  #40
Lives for gear
 
TreyM's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul in SoCal ➡️
Like I said, you obviously have no idea what a rhetorical question is.
Glad you know 100% that his question was rhetorical. And that you know whether I know what a rhetorical question is. You're amazing.

But back to my earlier point that you continue to ignore. Logic is obsolete?

Is Protools obsolete too?
Old 22nd September 2012
  #41
Lives for gear
 
8 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Why is this so important guys? Just use what you like (or what your customers prefer) and down the road we all go. Logic, Pro Tools, Cubase ... should all be defined by how good the user is. I'm gonna keep using Logic, and I won't judge ya for using Pro Tools. This is gettin silly.
Old 22nd September 2012 | Show parent
  #42
Lives for gear
 
TreyM's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leevi ➡️
Some "famous" Logic Pro composers are:

Ramin Djawadi
Henry Jackman
Geoff Zanelli
Klaus Badelt
By the other guy's "logic" this would mean that Cubase cannot be composer standard either. All the composers aren't using the same DAW! LOL

Also Klaus works (or worked) under Hans Zimmer.
Old 22nd September 2012
  #43
Gear Maniac
 
🎧 5 years
Don't feed the troll, guys. It will never stop.
Old 22nd September 2012 | Show parent
  #44
Lives for gear
 
Leevi's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreyM ➡️
By the other guy's "logic" this would mean that Cubase cannot be composer standard either. All the composers aren't using the same DAW! LOL

Also Klaus works (or worked) under Hans Zimmer.
Many of the folks who work closely with Hans use Cubase indeed.

Then there are people who have recently made switch from Logic to Cubase for various reasons(Trevor Morris for example)

For me it seems that more and more are moving to Cubase, which is not a surprise though.
Old 22nd September 2012 | Show parent
  #45
Lives for gear
 
Paul in SoCal's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreyM ➡️
By the other guy's "logic" this would mean that Cubase cannot be composer standard either. All the composers aren't using the same DAW! LOL

Also Klaus works (or worked) under Hans Zimmer.
I'm not the one who claimed that Cubase is an industry standard. You're the one who mocked me for allegedly failing to prove that Logic isn't.

From my experience, there is no "industry standard" among composers.
Old 22nd September 2012 | Show parent
  #46
Lives for gear
 
TreyM's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leevi ➡️
Many of the folks who work closely with Hans use Cubase indeed.

Then there are people who have recently made switch from Logic to Cubase for various reasons(Trevor Morris for example)
Of course, I was simply stating that just because Hans uses Cubase says nothing about what is composer standard on it's own. The fact that Klaus uses Logic is proof of that. Maybe Cubase IS the composer standard, but this clown running around saying Logic is obsolete needs to be corrected.
Old 22nd September 2012 | Show parent
  #47
Lives for gear
 
TreyM's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul in SoCal ➡️
I'm not the one who claimed that Cubase is an industry standard. You're the one who mocked me for allegedly failing to prove that Logic isn't.

From my experience, there is no "industry standard" among composers.
No, I mocked you because you said most people only use Logic because "Apple makes it," and then ridiculously claimed Logic is obsolete. I don't care about how "standard" it is a a composer's tool. Not sure how you keep missing that. Please show us how Logic is obsolete.
Old 22nd September 2012
  #48
Lives for gear
 
Leevi's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
I think it's pretty safe to say that Logic and Cubase are the favorites of composers at the moment. Digital Performer is a good third

Time to make a peace folks
Old 22nd September 2012 | Show parent
  #49
Lives for gear
 
Paul in SoCal's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianellefson ➡️
Why is this so important guys? Just use what you like (or what your customers prefer) and down the road we all go. Logic, Pro Tools, Cubase ... should all be defined by how good the user is. I'm gonna keep using Logic, and I won't judge ya for using Pro Tools. This is gettin silly.
I'm not judging anyone and quite frankly I don't care what DAW anyone use. This whole brouhaha started because a kid using Logic couldn't stand me criticizing it. Rest assured that if you want to criticize Cubase, you're very welcome to do it and I will never use abusive language like he did.
Old 22nd September 2012 | Show parent
  #50
Gear Maniac
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul in SoCal ➡️
Cubase has peerless MIDI functions (like note expression.) Also a competent scoring page. Favorite of composers, jazz musicians etc.

Nuendo is the standard for post-production.

Pro Tools is known for its excellent handling of audio and for being a de facto standard in commercial studios.

Sonar has the best interface on the market and it truly shines on multiple screens. Plus the Pro Channel is quite unique.

Reaper is famous for its ridiculously low cost.

Reason attracts the electronic music crowd.

FL Studio same as Ableton (loops, dj's etc.)

Samplitude/Sequoia I don't really know much about those, but I have the impression they're favored by those who like to feel "different"...

Logic is mostly loved by its users because Apple makes it. It's long in the tooth and surpassed by its competition, but to them it will forever be the best (disclaimer: I'm a former Logic user.)
Just to add to what you said... Sonar was the first to adopt 64bit processing.
Samplitude/Sequoia is very popular with mastering engineers.
Old 22nd September 2012
  #51
Gear Maniac
 
🎧 5 years
Paul in SoCal has some good points though, and he is the only one who has tried to help the OP. Instead of starting pointless arguments give your own take on what DAWS are used for. I found his initial post useful, everyone else's are worthless actually. And isn't the case that Logic has been in need of an update for a while? It does still sound good to me, but i don't fiddle with knobs, i play the parts.
Old 22nd September 2012 | Show parent
  #52
Lives for gear
 
Paul in SoCal's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreyM ➡️
Of course, I was simply stating that just because Hans uses Cubase says nothing about what is composer standard on it's own.
I never claimed Cubase is a standard, never even talked about standards. You and the other guy did that. And when I used your logic against you, asking for proof, you didn't provide any.

Quote:
this clown running around saying Logic is obsolete needs to be corrected.
I think the guy running around using abusive language against people with different opinions should be ejected from this board.
Old 22nd September 2012
  #53
Gear Maniac
 
🎧 5 years
Seriously Trey come off of it, you came here to get into a bickering match, and you did initiate the confrontation with your mocking replies.
Old 22nd September 2012 | Show parent
  #54
Lives for gear
 
TreyM's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul in SoCal ➡️
I never claimed Cubase is a standard, never even talked about standards. You and the other guy did that. And when I used your logic against you, asking for proof, you didn't provide any.



I think the guy running around insulting people with different opinions should be ejected from this board.
No, you claimed Hans Zimmer didn't use Logic and told the other guy he couldn't prove a negative while you apparently thought you could by showing different other composers who don't use Logic.

Ejected from the board for calling you ridiculous, hilarious, and a clown? Ok... Meanwhile you attempt to insult me by calling me "kid." Which is also hilarious. I would be flattered if it wasn't a sad attempt to irritate me.

With that, I am moving on as Jolly Rogers has suggested.
Old 22nd September 2012
  #55
Lives for gear
 
Ntk drummer's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul in SoCal ➡️
I'm not judging anyone and quite frankly I don't care what DAW anyone use. This whole brouhaha started because a kid using Logic couldn't stand me criticizing it. Rest assured that if you want to criticize Cubase, you're very welcome to do it and I will never use abusive language like he did.
There is nothing wrong with you or anyone criticizing logic or any other daw. Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

The reason why I responded is that you stated that logic is obsolete which is misinforming the original poster.

Logic being obsolete is your opinion. Simple as that. There are no industry or market facts to back your claim.
Old 22nd September 2012 | Show parent
  #56
Lives for gear
 
TreyM's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly_Rogers ➡️
Seriously Trey come off of it, you came here to get into a bickering match, and you did initiate the confrontation with your mocking replies.
I actually didn't come in to bicker. I came to point out that Logic users don't use Logic simply because Apple makes it. But you're right about coming off it. I will move on now.
Old 22nd September 2012 | Show parent
  #57
Lives for gear
 
Paul in SoCal's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ntk drummer ➡️
There is nothing wrong with you or anyone criticizing logic or any other daw. Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

The reason why I responded is that you stated that logic is obsolete which is misinforming the original poster.

Logic being obsolete is your opinion. Simple as that. There are no industry or market facts to back your claim.
I never claimed that what I said is anything more than an opinion.
Unfortunately, some people don't like different opinions and think those entitle them to act as bullies.
Old 22nd September 2012
  #58
Lives for gear
 
Ntk drummer's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul in SoCal ➡️
I never claimed that what I said is anything more than an opinion.
Unfortunately, some people don't like different opinions and think those entitle them to act as bullies.
Fine we can move on.
Old 22nd September 2012 | Show parent
  #59
Lives for gear
 
TreyM's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul in SoCal ➡️
As for protools, your question is a non-sequitur, but I'll answer it anyway. In many ways, Pro Tools isn't the best DAW for composers or songwriters, not only because it isn't 64 bit but also because it can't use VST's, which have pretty much become an industry standard lately. So, if Pro Tools isn't updated for as long as Logic hasn't been, it will definitely become an obsolete DAW. Even though it will still be an industry standard (the music business is anything but rational...)
So, you allow a for a 32-bit Protools while claiming the 64-bit Logic Pro 9 is obsolete? Logic was JUST updated to 9.1.7 a few months ago. It's not like it's DEAD. This was my point all along. Why can't you admit you are wrong about Logic being obsolete? Pride?

This is me being civil now. I am not insulting you here.
Old 22nd September 2012 | Show parent
  #60
Lives for gear
 
Paul in SoCal's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreyM ➡️
So, you allow a for a 32-bit Protools while claiming the 64-bit Logic Pro 9 is obsolete? This was my point all along. Why can't you admit your are wrong about Logic being obsolete? Pride?

This is me being civil now. I am not insulting you here.
I don't "allow" for anything, read my reply again. Not really a fan of Pro Tools.
Once again, my opinion.

Glad you finally understood your childish behavior doesn't belong here. Hence me calling you a "kid."

Quote:
Logic was JUST updated to 9.1.7 a few months ago.
Bug fix. When was Logic 9 released? Has Apple even announced the release of Logic 10? All the major DAW's get through major updates at least once a year.
📝 Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 4616 views: 615080
Avatar for smoke
smoke 7th May 2021
replies: 55 views: 32193
Avatar for IM WHO YOU THINK
IM WHO YOU THINK 13th October 2020
replies: 98 views: 39046
Avatar for dfghdhr
dfghdhr 5th June 2021
replies: 1296 views: 181588
Avatar for heraldo_jones
heraldo_jones 1st February 2016
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump