Laptop (Mac Book Pro) Fan Noise - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Laptop (Mac Book Pro) Fan Noise
Old 22nd September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Laptop (Mac Book Pro) Fan Noise

Main Question:
I've been using my Mac Book Pro 2011 for audio and recording on my second bedroom. Is anyone using something that can really keep the CPUs cool enough to not allow the internal fans to kick in?

More Information:
There are 2 fans inside the computer. When I have nothing running and don't plug in the 2nd monitor, the fans spin around 2000 RPM (CPU 60 @ Celsius). When doing anything on them regarding graphics and/or audio they speed up to 3500-4000 RPM (CPU 68-80 Celsius) and this definitely increases the noise floor.

I've seen laptop stands that have 1, 2, & 3 fans below the laptop, but I guessed that at the prices they are being sold, they are not using Low Noise fans. Therefore, I went to Fry's Electronics and picked up a few fans. Got a 120mm 64cfm fan, then a 140mm 84cfm one, and a 200mm 110cfm fan.

Tried the 120mm and the 200mm fan. Placed the laptop 3" above desk and place the fan below it with about 1" below and 1" above the fan. What I have found is that neither fan bring down the temperature of the CPU down very much. But once I start doing audio tracking, the CPU gets hot enough to require the fans to kick back up to 3000-4000 RPM.

I've seen cooling mats for laptops but I can't imagine that they would do a decent job. I know water cooling is more efficient than air cooling but haven't seen a water cooled laptop pad.

Has anyone had any product that actually reduces the heat of the CPU so as not to require the fans to kick in?
Old 24th September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Went to Fry's Electronics over the weekend and saw a bunch of Laptop Cooling Pads, but based on my tests there was nothing that I thought could really help with cooling this laptop. (since it doesn't have fan holes below the unit.)
Still wondering if anyone is cooling their MacBook Pro effectively with something?
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…