Best Mac Desktop for audio? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Best Mac Desktop for audio?
Old 21st September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Best Mac Desktop for audio?

Hello,

I'm in the market for a new Mac desktop. My current fastest computer is a 2011 macbook pro 2.5 i7 quad core with ssd and 8 GB Ram.
Since no one knows for sure what's the future of Mac Pro going to be and, most importantly, when that future is going to be, I started to weigh in my options.
The only thing that kept me so far in buying a mac pro is lack of sata 3.
So, my first question is... how much real-world difference makes sata 3 from sata 2?
I'm interested in adding some ssds later and this is my main concern, that I won't be able to fully utilize those speeds. So, a current 6-core Mac Pro will be faster than my current laptop? I'm really not interested in benchmarks, but user experience.
Secondly... since I don't use, or plan to use, thunderbolt, nor usb-3 (ok, usb 3 is nice to have, but I don't really care that much), how much this pc do you think it's going to last (I was hoping to get about 5 years out of it)? I don't plan to upgrade audio hardware unless it breaks and the software hope will keep me busy for at least that amount of time. Also I don't believe I will ever, ever do more than 100 tracks with software instruments. And that number is highly stretched, but just for the sake of it... the 6-core will be able to handle 100 tracks of Kontakt/Omnisphere?
Don't know about the iMac... i don't really trust it...

Anyway, any input is highly appreciated. Thanks
Old 22nd September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
bump
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…