Quantcast
WOW anyone tried Waves Kramer Tape with Slate VTM on masterbus? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
WOW anyone tried Waves Kramer Tape with Slate VTM on masterbus?
Old 21st September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
WOW anyone tried Waves Kramer Tape with Slate VTM on masterbus? Samples included

UPDATE! I've uploaded some sample mix it's on a reply below.

Just wow! finally nailed that warm dark tape sound I wanted. been playing a lot with VTM. used Kramer before. was ok but did not have much experience trying to get that tape sound

I'm almost done mixing my project and for fun I tried adding kramer tape on masterbus just before VTM (and before RC-Tube). my VTM is set to 15 ips ,70's stock tape and bias to low. with a bit of input to saturate. its the best I can do to remove all the bright and harshness of the mix.but it's still not as dark (70's style) as I want it. . but with added Kramer Tape at 7.5. ( remove completly the waves kramer wow and fluter and hiss and as less saturation/distortion as possible). I put the VTM tape hiss as a minimum (but that I could hear it just a bit) and 100% wow and flutter

man my song just lifted up! sounds like the records I listen and love.all done in my bedroom!

well I'm tired and ive been mixing for 12 hours.so maybe tomorrow i'll listen back and find it oo dark..I hope not.lol ill post a mix soon.

I also want to sum the mix in Harrison Mixbus. I cant wait to see how it will sound

anyone using more than one tape plugin on master bus? how do you try to have your mix dark / vintage style?
Old 21st September 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Sounds interesting! You should post a sample of your track alongside one of your influences...

I myself got VTM a few days ago... love it dearly already...
Old 21st September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Ok cool I'm mixing down a part of the song im working on. its a mixdown from Studio One. sounds really good. I'm awaiting to finish the mix before trying a mixdown of stems in Harrison Mixbus with the same tape settings on 2buss
Old 21st September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Ok here are samples from different combination of master bus plugins I've tried. the one with Waves Kramer Tape and Slate VTM is the best one. What might helped getting close to a warm analog vibe is the use of VCC (RC-Tube) and VTM (at 15ips and 456 type tape) on all tracks (carefully adjusted to taste and trying now to overdo it).

anyway hope it sounds great to others.
tell me what you think and if you like the use of both plugins or is it killing too much highs. I'm looking for that 70's dry/dark sound anyway.

thank you very much for your time
happy music making time!

Patrick
Attached Files

demo_dry.wav (4.28 MB, 1245 views)

demo_vcc_vtm_only.wav (4.28 MB, 1106 views)

demo_vcc_kramer_only.wav (4.28 MB, 1098 views)

demo_vcc_kramertape_vtm.wav (4.28 MB, 1523 views)

Old 21st September 2012
Lives for gear
sounds really good with both plugins !
Old 21st September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
yep! it's more dark/mid rangeee.. but fat warm and very glued I think
Old 21st September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I'm gonna take a listen later
Old 21st September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
some good stuff
Old 22nd September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by loscolorados ➡️
some good stuff
Thanks mate.ive been working on this project for about 2 years now. putting all my heart into it
Old 22nd September 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Nice

Sent from my PC36100
Old 22nd September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick81 ➡️
UPDATE! I've uploaded some sample mix it's on a reply below.

Just wow! finally nailed that warm dark tape sound I wanted. been playing a lot with VTM. used Kramer before. was ok but did not have much experience trying to get that tape sound

I'm almost done mixing my project and for fun I tried adding kramer tape on masterbus just before VTM (and before RC-Tube). my VTM is set to 15 ips ,70's stock tape and bias to low. with a bit of input to saturate. its the best I can do to remove all the bright and harshness of the mix.but it's still not as dark (70's style) as I want it. . but with added Kramer Tape at 7.5. ( remove completly the waves kramer wow and fluter and hiss and as less saturation/distortion as possible). I put the VTM tape hiss as a minimum (but that I could hear it just a bit) and 100% wow and flutter

man my song just lifted up! sounds like the records I listen and love.all done in my bedroom!

well I'm tired and ive been mixing for 12 hours.so maybe tomorrow i'll listen back and find it oo dark..I hope not.lol ill post a mix soon.

I also want to sum the mix in Harrison Mixbus. I cant wait to see how it will sound

anyone using more than one tape plugin on master bus? how do you try to have your mix dark / vintage style?
Ever considered putting lo-pass filters on certain brighter induvidual tracks in the mix and listen to that before you add tape plugins? ...have you? I have vtm myself and love it. But i dont like to blend saturation plugins.
Old 22nd September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcom ➡️
Ever considered putting lo-pass filters on certain brighter induvidual tracks in the mix and listen to that before you add tape plugins? ...have you? I have vtm myself and love it. But i dont like to blend saturation plugins.
yep I tought of that too. I dont have much experience in mixing. and any experience on how to make my mix darker. but each tracks I use VTM to tame the highs and try not to boost the frequency too high. but I think with the kramer I'm not using much of their saturation effect. I guess its more the eq curve and a bit of the compression. It might be for some people a bit extreme but I'm looking for results and great vibe and compared to other pro classic records its more close than ever I think. back in the analog days people did crazy stuff also with tape or other gear to get cool stuff.

but ya the more il do mixing and have my ears trained I guess I will better know what to do.
Old 20th October 2012
Lives for gear

This is very interesting; thanks for sharing. I generally use the Kramer to eat the transients a bit, and to affect the low end (not sure I have the exact words to describe what it does...maybe "deepen" it?). Other than that, I actually find it brings the uppermids forward a bit (seems most obvious on high-gain guitars). Haven't tried it in conjunction with the Slate plug, but it's not necessarily the processor I'd turn to if I'm looking to make a mix feel darker.
Old 22nd October 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrotto ➡️
Other than that, I actually find it brings the uppermids forward a bit (seems most obvious on high-gain guitars). Haven't tried it in conjunction with the Slate plug, but it's not necessarily the processor I'd turn to if I'm looking to make a mix feel darker.
Couldn't agree more, I constantly read people's reviews of the kramer plugin and all I see is talk of how it fattens the bottom end and dulls the top but to me the most obvious sonic effect is how it makes the upper midrange more forward as you point out.

Cheers, Mark.
Old 22nd October 2012
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
There´s one thing that I´ve noticed:
I´ve been listening to the "tape"-bits first and was surprised to hear more threedimensional depth in the dry version while the processed ones sounded pretty flat, especially the VTM version.
I understand that you want to soften the harshness of the dry-version but is it possible that you overuse the plugin(s) a bit?
Old 22nd October 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
ya my afterthoughts are the same. I changed again my way of working and now I'm not using Kramer Tape at all anymore. but still use VTM. it was too much and sound a bit overprocessed and too dark..well Im glad I experienced with that. it keep training my ears.

my new chain is more like

VCC + VTM on all tracks. not driven too much. good gain stage. and mosly VTM set to 30ips and modern tape with bias to low. to remove a big of highs on individual tracks without making them too dull. and on master bus. use only VCC (SSL) after I put another VCC again (RC-Tube) (a trick from slate I tried and seem to work well). so I dont drive them too much. its pretty subtle. than I put this into bus comp The Glue (very light compression) but I drive the makeup gain of glue like +9 DB witch drive the comp amplifier into the next and last plugin in master chain VTM at 15 ips and old tape type + normal bias this time (than drive the tape a bit and reduce the VTM output to match the initial gain) and so far it sounds the way I wanted it too. might be crazy stuff. but its crunchy and dont sound over processed or compressed (I think).

and thinking of sending all this to a D-Box or a real SSL Desk and remove the instance of VCC SSL on master and The glue and use a real desk instead that go to VTM. cant wait to see the results. will see. il post more stuff soon
Old 22nd October 2012
Manufacturer contact @ GS

🎧 10 years
Either ways, I liked what I heard!

Well done,
Graham
📝 Reply