Quantcast
Mastering ITB Slate or Sonnox - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Mastering ITB Slate or Sonnox
Old 20th September 2012
Deleted User
Mastering ITB Slate or Sonnox

Right now I am using the L1 for the mastering inflator... I am trying to upgrade, and I would like to hear some opinions from folks who have used the Slate FG-X and the Oxford Inflator. Thanks
Old 20th September 2012
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Diamond ➑️
Right now I am using the L1 for the mastering inflator... I am trying to upgrade, and I would like to hear some opinions from folks who have used the Slate FG-X and the Oxford Inflator. Thanks
Mastering plugins:
PSP Vintage Warmer
PSP MasterComp
PSP Neon EQ
PSP Xenon limiter
Brainworx Digital v2 EQ
Waves C6
Waves LP Multiband Comp
Waves LP EQ
Waves L3
SPL Vtalizer
Slate FG X
UAD plugs are good for mastering

You may be told that any plugin can be used for mastering but thats not true. Some plugins are written/coded for higher fidelity that translate much better. They are are more expensive but the quality is noticeable.
Old 20th September 2012
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Add

Ozone 5
Xcomp /Xeq /Xverb (ssl Duende)
DrMS V4
NI passive EQ + Vari comp
TRacks 3 Deluxe
SPL Passeq
Alesyia / brainworx

ect ...

To the op

FGX = dynamic
INFLATOR : Harmonics

In short you will gain color and perceived looudnsee with nflator

FGX is a whole dynamic processor with the abitlity to have some at Zero DB cranked up and at the same time with preservation of transients and dynamic perception...

So 2 diffrents tools ...if i had to choose one : FGX hands down !
Old 20th September 2012
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I've used BOTH FG-X and Sonnox Inflator. First of all, the inflator will not do what you want simply on its own. You will need to use a limiter along with it.

2nd- The FG-x comes with a super clean transparent compressor and great metering. For the $.....I think the FG-X "hands down" crushes a Sonnox limiter/inflator combo.

In my old days when I do a self mastering job, i had to use.....

- EQ
- Compressor
- Sonnox Inflator
- Sonnox Limiter
- Dither

Now I only have to use....

-EQ
-FG-X

Kinda see where im going with this? You get alot of BANG with the FG-X and it eliminates the need of alot of processors. I hear Fg-X is only sale for a limited time right now too........GO GET IT.
Old 21st September 2012
Gear Nut

Don't sleep on PSP Vintagewarmer or MasterComp. Depending on the style of music of course. The MasterComp is great on soft and mid-tempo material. The Vintage Warmer across the board is excellent.
Old 21st September 2012
Slate Pro Audio / Slate Digital

🎧 10 years
Hi there! Check out this video tutorial of the FG-X where I increase the level of a mix by a whopping 10db with an almost inaudible difference between the mix and final master! Sonnox is a great tool as well and you should definitely demo both!

Cheers,
Steven
Old 22nd September 2012
Deleted User
Yes I downloaded the FG-X demo yesterday, used it on 4 different mixes.

Basically I think it is a good plug in. I really like some of the unique controls like Dynamic Perception, which to my ears sounds like an upward expander, and it makes sources pop and sit better, and also seems to open up the top end frequency wise.

I thought it was strange though, because I tried it on several different styles of music and found that I got the best results with very similar settings. And I did not like the gain whatsoever. I ended up using it mostly for the dynamic perception feature and then used the Massey 2007 after it to get more RMS and level boost. To my ears, the gain on the Massey is significantly cleaner.

Overall I think it is an interesting plug in but I would want to try other options like the Oxford before actually buying one. I guess the Oxford Limiter has the inflator built it, but it's called 'enhance'... is this correct? Thanks.
Old 22nd September 2012
Lives for gear

11 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
I would definitely advics getting the Inflator for mastering (and for mixing) if you like it's flavour, but not if you don't already have a good compressor/limiter.

FG-X is great, the compressor is uber smooth and I think it would be great if they released it separately. Really nice. It will get your mixes nice and loud like Slate shows in that video.

Not to throw too many options on the table, I would just say Brainworx_XL is killer. It will give you a lot to work with.

It has 3 bands effectively making 3 stems,
1. Mid Lo 2. Mid Hi 3. Side

So useful for shaping the balance on the mix without even using eq yet.

It also can add harmonic excitement (3rd+5th order) which really does sound good, so good they put in in a new plug-in on it's own.

It has compressors for each band and while I've not used them extensively they are useful, especially since you can take the signal of one band and feed it to the side-chain compressor of another.

It's XL control (the added harmonics) sounds different to me than the Inflator, maybe not as beefy, but I much prefer it and if I could only have one it would be the XL.

Again one more suggestion, the soft clipping in Compassion sounds really beautiful. I wouldn't know how to use it as a mastering tool though, perhaps only to control dynamics, but I haven't been able to get it to limit all that nicely yet, it is very complex. But if you can figure it out or if anyone else here has tried it for that task It will also give you "inflation" (in a really, really nice way).

Hope someone else can chime in on that last aspect.
Old 22nd September 2012
Deleted User
Cool, yeah a lot of stuff to try. I'm going to try and get some demos and I'll check back.
Old 23rd September 2012
Deleted User
If there was a plug in of only the Dynamic Perception knob I would buy it
Old 23rd September 2012
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Depends on what music you're into....
If you want uber loud techno the FGX will not take you there...sonnox limiter will.
I think the FGX was made with rock music in mind....
Old 23rd September 2012

🎧 10 years
Some of the punchiest most dynamic and LOUD sounding dance tracks I've ever heard were done with fg-x. I'll post some samples this week.

Edm is better with fgx's ITP slider down a notch or two.

Cheers,
Steven
Old 23rd September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Slate ➑️
Some of the punchiest most dynamic and LOUD sounding dance tracks I've ever heard were done with fg-x. I'll post some samples this week.

Cheers,
Steven

What rms are we talking about here? I mean, punchy..dynamic and LOUD can mean anything right? ;-)

Was talking about "uber loud"...probably not what most (me included) are striving for...but it did show (in my comparison between FGX and sonnox) which one went loudest...

And yes, "Uber Loud" can mean anything as wel LOL.
Old 23rd September 2012
Deleted User
Maybe I am just looking for a good upward expander... are there any good plug ins that do this exclusively?
Old 23rd September 2012

🎧 10 years
The fgx can add 20db of gain and can get things verrrrrry loud. Send me a snippet of your mix to [email protected] and I'll crank it and send you the fgx settings I used!

Cheers,
Steven
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
The fgx can add 20db of gain and can get things verrrrrry loud. Send me a snippet of your mix to [email protected] and I'll crank it and send you the fgx settings I used!

Cheers,
Steven

Thanks, that's very kind.
Thing is, I already did send some Mixes to Fabrice at the time the FGX was just released. That's were I've drawn my conclusions from...

I'll try to find the exact same files. Maybe you can shed a new light on my findings.
Old 23rd September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
The FX-G is so amazing. I have the TK-Audio mastering compressor but I'm seriously thinking about selling it. I also have like duende x-comp and other stuff but the FX-G can make stuff so loud and punchy like nothing else.

Can't wait for a mastering eq from them.

Old 23rd September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Standstraight ➑️

Can't wait for a mastering eq from them.

+1
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

Cheers,
Steven
You clearly haven't heard loud dynamic punchy dance music.

(btw, we call it housemusic, since 1987)
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I guess the Oxford Limiter has the inflator built it, but it's called 'enhance'... is this correct? Thanks.
Hey Black Diamond,
elsewhere on the forum Paul Frindle, the maker of both the Inflator and the Oxford limiter, explains that the two processes are very different. Download the demos and try for yourself. I think it's a golden combo, limiter then inflator.
Old 23rd September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Slate FG-X is the best mastering Compressor-Limiter Plug-In I have used so far.

Highly Recommended !
Old 24th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

11 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:

Cheers,
Steven
Hi Steven, I'd love to give FG-X another demo since it was a while back I tried it last. Anyway to get the demo licence renewed?

Thanks

Sami

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiyn Zahav ➑️
Hi Steven, I'd love to give FG-X another demo since it was a while back I tried it last. Anyway to get the demo licence renewed?

Thanks

Sami
Hit up support and I'm sure they can help you out.

Steven
Old 24th September 2012
Sonnox is like the ugly wall for your audio. you hit it hard and it will not move in any direction.

I use the sonnox all the time. if you want loud, get the sonnox. if you want more musical try psp stuff.

Ozone gets super loud too but I found the artifacts pretty ugly. Filtering?

the FX-G shows up from time to time in my DAW, mostly it doesnt. plug and pray doesnt work for me.

Gesendet von meinem GT-I9300 mit Tapatalk
Old 24th September 2012

🎧 10 years
Hi George, if you need help with FG-X settings let me know! As you can hear on the video, with a rather dynamic and punchy song, the FG-X easily took it up to mastering levels without ruining the sound.

Glad to help you out however possible old friend!

Cheers,
Steven
Old 24th September 2012
Quote:
Hi George, if you need help with FG-X settings let me know! As you can hear on the video, with a rather dynamic and punchy song, the FG-X easily took it up to mastering levels without ruining the sound.

Glad to help you out however possible old friend!

Cheers,
Steven
I am fine with the plugin. it sounds different the Sonnox which is a good thing, but it's not so "loud" as the sonnox on crowded dense mixes.

what bugs me the most is the unreliability of the FX-G. somethimes it's there sometimes it's not.

yes I ran trough all the support help/Forum help I can get and FX G is the only plugin that is acting so weird. I am just tired of trying. maybe other guys are more lucky then me.

Old 24th September 2012

🎧 10 years
again, when I've run into situations like you describe, I have been extremely successful in finding a setting on the FG-X to make the mix go to loud mastering levels without changing the sound and tone of the mix. Hit me up bud!

Cheers,
Steven
Old 24th September 2012
Quote:
again, when I've run into situations like you describe, I have been extremely successful in finding a setting on the FG-X to make the mix go to loud mastering levels without changing the sound and tone of the mix. Hit me up bud!

Cheers,
Steven
next time the plugin shows up in my DAW , I will think about it.. I had some talk with Major mastering gurus and the conclusion is, that the Sonnox is for loud.

thanx Steven. appreciated.

Old 24th September 2012

🎧 10 years
Howie Weinberg, Ted Jensen, Ue Anastasi, Dave McNair, and quite a few other legends have gotten along with the FG-X!

The FG-X can push something as loud as you desire, I'm not sure I understand the issue but I'd be glad to help anyone who wants it [email protected]

Cheers,
Steven
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Necola ➑️
next time the plugin shows up in my DAW , I will think about it.. I had some talk with Major mastering gurus and the conclusion is, that the Sonnox is for loud.

thanx Steven. appreciated.

Exactly my findings...
At the time of release I did test the FGX extensively...posted my findings and Fabrice (who made the pluggin) asked me to send him my test audo files.
He tried to match the sonnox loudness but could not.
He was very nice and helpful I have to say.

@ Steven, I think I might have deleted those files...and frankly, I don't feel like going through this whole testing process again. Again, thanks for the offer but I think I did know what I was doing at the time I tested the FGX.
Either way, it's probably a very good plug but not for loud..more specifically..loud Techno (or Dance as you call it ).
πŸ“ Reply