Quantcast
Mastering ITB Slate or Sonnox - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Mastering ITB Slate or Sonnox
Old 24th September 2012
Slate Pro Audio / Slate Digital

🎧 10 years
I think the Sonnox plugin is wonderful. Having said that, I'll put the FG-X up against it on any file and guarantee that it can get to -7RMS with less artifacts. I think you'll be amazed at what happens when you know how to set the ITP and add some automation!

Cheers,
Steven
Old 24th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Slate ➡️
I think the Sonnox plugin is wonderful. Having said that, I'll put the FG-X up against it on any file and guarantee that it can get to -7RMS with less artifacts. I think you'll be amazed at what happens when you know how to set the ITP and add some automation!

Cheers,
Steven
I think my audio files were something around -5rms. I know, some ofyou may say...why so ff-ing loud..well, it was for test purposes and YES, some techno does sound good on -5rms.

Somehow the sonnox can get this loud WITH some artefacts BUT these sound good. The artefacts are somehow musical.

-7rms is easy peasy for the sonnox ;-)
Slate Pro Audio / Slate Digital

🎧 10 years
But can it do it while keeping the transient punch, the dynamics, and exact frequency response? This is what we designed the FG-X to do.

If you want to go to -5RMS, I'd pull the ITP way down and crank the transient and dynamic knob. Send me a file and let's have some fun!

Steven
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
If you guys don't mind, I had an assessment made out based on an FG-X shootout a little while ago with these candidates, in order of my preference based on what was heard:

FG-X: very nice, smooth low frequencies (contingent on operator's use, especially of ITP) and really good top end. Overall you can hear more smack and snappiness here with this being its most unique sonic aspect.

Fab-filter: Nice overall, comparable to FG-X but less low end, slightly less impact.

Elephant: Nice overall spectrum, not as loud.

Ozone: Louder than Elephant, but with a bit more high-mid harshness.

NC17: seems more low-mid forward; bit muddy. Has a good open top end and I think upon initial listening tests could come across as having the loudest potential but with significantly more obvious distortion.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TranscendingM ➡️
If you guys don't mind, I had an assessment made out based on an FG-X shootout a little while ago with these candidates, in order of my preference based on what was heard:

FG-X: very nice, smooth low frequencies (contingent on operator's use, especially of ITP) and really good top end. Overall you can hear more smack and snappiness here with this being its most unique sonic aspect.

Fab-filter: Nice overall, comparable to FG-X but less low end, slightly less impact.

Elephant: Nice overall spectrum, not as loud.

Ozone: Louder than Elephant, but with a bit more high-mid harshness.

NC17: seems more low-mid forward; bit muddy. Has a good open top end and I think upon initial listening tests could come across as having the loudest potential but with significantly more obvious distortion.
What kind of music? Rock or dance music? Also, what version and what limiter algorithm were you using of Ozone?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus909 ➡️
What kind of music? Rock or dance music? Also, what version and what limiter algorithm were you using of Ozone?
Rock, Metal, and one shootout of Dance (EDM). It was Ozone 4 but I don't recall the algorithm.

The FG-X impact for me so far is the most incomparable character of it.

EDIT: marcus I found documentation of the settings of the shootout that included Ozone and it was said to have been set to "Clipping" if that helps.
Old 25th September 2012
Quote:
Howie Weinberg, Ted Jensen, Ue Anastasi, Dave McNair, and quite a few other legends have gotten along with the FG-X!

The FG-X can push something as loud as you desire, I'm not sure I understand the issue but I'd be glad to help anyone who wants it [email protected]

Cheers,
Steven
all nice. Some have not and that's maybe because I am not a legend.

the main issue is a quality issue. most of the time my Cubase or Samplitude needs to manually rescan the plugin folder because the plugin magically disappears in the VST plugin list. sometimes that helps or I have to reinstall the fxG again...

enough blablah. Thank you for the offer Steven.

Gesendet von meinem GT-I9300 mit Tapatalk
Old 2nd December 2014 | Show parent
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Necola ➡️
Sonnox is like the ugly wall for your audio. you hit it hard and it will not move in any direction.

I use the sonnox all the time. if you want loud, get the sonnox. if you want more musical try psp stuff.

Ozone gets super loud too but I found the artifacts pretty ugly. Filtering?

the FX-G shows up from time to time in my DAW, mostly it doesnt. plug and pray doesnt work for me.

Gesendet von meinem GT-I9300 mit Tapatalk
An amazing engineer and human being. RIP - - malcolmchisholm.com
Old 4th December 2014
Deleted User
I'll agree with some folks saying that the FG-X doesn't get used most of the time.

I dig the VBC & VCC for the subtle depth they add, but the only feature I found really good on the FG-X was the expander (Dynamic Perception knob). But after I used the FG-X a few times, I stopped used it and just started using a normal expander in it's place... works just as well, maybe better. I really wish I could get my money back for the FG-X because I literally never use it and find it to be by far the weakest link in the Slate Digital product line
Old 23rd January 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Are there any EDM examples with settings I can try?
Also, will the 2.0 update be free to all 1.0 owners?
Old 6th December 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
again, when I've run into situations like you describe, I have been extremely successful in finding a setting on the FG-X to make the mix go to loud mastering levels without changing the sound and tone of the mix. Hit me up bud!

Cheers,
Steven
Steve I was having problems with a mix using the FG-X then turned down the dynamic perception knob and lowered the transient knobs and that did the trick. Will there be new version of FG-X with True Peak Limiting?

On this image I think the range I should be looking at is the Total RMS Amplutude in the middle right?
Attached Thumbnails
Mastering ITB Slate or Sonnox-img_3811.png  
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Of corse Steven Slate likes Slate Digital plugins the best

Don't you ever get tired of thet guy?

PS. I like some of the Slate plugins, so it's not about that....
Old 6th December 2016
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
I personally choose DMG Audio Limitless over FG-X for transparent limiting, and it takes care of ISP as well. It comes with its own clipper, multiband limiting if needed, and a ton more options.
Gear Maniac

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Why are people on this thread just comparing Slate FG-X versus the Sonnox Limiter? As if those were the only two choices.

DMG Audio Limitless is the best limiter out there hands down. I have compared many limiters on a lot of material, including Ozone, FG-X, Sonnox, Invisible Limiter, Waves L-2 and L-3, Voxengo Elephant and FabFilter Pro-L.

All of these are excellent limiters in my opinion, with the exception of Waves L-3, which most audibly changed the quality of the material for the worse when pushed. But the rest of them are great. It's just that DMG Limitless was still a little better than the rest in most of my trials.
📝 Reply