Quantcast
Using RME HDSP 9632 with m-audio Profire 2626 vs the Steinberg MR 816CSX alone - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Using RME HDSP 9632 with m-audio Profire 2626 vs the Steinberg MR 816CSX alone
Old 20th September 2012
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Using RME HDSP 9632 with m-audio Profire 2626 vs the Steinberg MR 816CSX alone

H Guys,
I"m in a position to get an M-Audio Profire 2626 pretty cheap. But since everywhere you look there is always someone complaining about their driver stability, I'm not sure. But since MOTU Ultralite, which was a very trustworthy piece of gear for the last 4 years died on me suddenly, I must immediately get a new one, as I don't have the money right now to buy another Audio Interface, which by the way my preference was the MR816X.
That's how the Profire came into the picture.
So if I'm buying the Profire 2626 now, then due to it's driver problems, I would within a month or so buy an RME HDSP 9632. It would be my interface and I can use the profire in standalone mode as a preamp connected via ADAT.

There are a few things I would Like to Know in this respect.

1) When I run these 2 units connected so, will I need to sync the clock of these 2. Is there any need for it. If so how should I do it?

2) In this case would the audio signal from the Profire be converted by its A-D converters, and then be sent to the HDSP 9632 via ADAT?

3) So if I'm monitoring the outs from the HDSP routed to the Profire via ADAT, to the headphone outs or Analog outs of the profire, would that also be converted by the profires D-A.

4) What would be the role of each of theses units in this Config.

5) Sound Quality wise and Stability wise, which would be a better option - the HDSP 9632 + Profire 2626 or the MR816 CSX/X alone?

Thanks in advance
Old 20th September 2012
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Guys..... Please ..... Someone
Old 20th September 2012
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Bump !
Old 20th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam 99 ➑️
H Guys,
I"m in a position to get an M-Audio Profire 2626 pretty cheap. But since everywhere you look there is always someone complaining about their driver stability, I'm not sure. But since MOTU Ultralite, which was a very trustworthy piece of gear for the last 4 years died on me suddenly, I must immediately get a new one, as I don't have the money right now to buy another Audio Interface, which by the way my preference was the MR816X.
That's how the Profire came into the picture.
So if I'm buying the Profire 2626 now, then due to it's driver problems, I would within a month or so buy an RME HDSP 9632. It would be my interface and I can use the profire in standalone mode as a preamp connected via ADAT.

There are a few things I would Like to Know in this respect.

1) When I run these 2 units connected so, will I need to sync the clock of these 2. Is there any need for it. If so how should I do it?

2) In this case would the audio signal from the Profire be converted by its A-D converters, and then be sent to the HDSP 9632 via ADAT?

3) So if I'm monitoring the outs from the HDSP routed to the Profire via ADAT, to the headphone outs or Analog outs of the profire, would that also be converted by the profires D-A.

4) What would be the role of each of theses units in this Config.

5) Sound Quality wise and Stability wise, which would be a better option - the HDSP 9632 + Profire 2626 or the MR816 CSX/X alone?

Thanks in advance
1) Yes, they need to be in sync, either by SPDIF input, or by WCM added to 9632.

2) That's probably the best way.

3) Yes. But you can also use 9632's headphone out. Total Mix will allow you to do those submix.

4) You answered by yourself.

5) I don't have Steinberg, so I can't tell, but Profire 2626+HDSP 9632 is a very good combination, as long as you can use PF2626 in stable condition (TI FW, legacy FW driver, etc is important).
Old 20th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
well....the RME will give you lower latency if that's important and you'll be able to choose your AD/DA and upgrade when necessary. The 816 big points are its integration with cubase so if you're not using cubase you loose a big plus point.

I've been using 2x 816's since they came out and have excellent service from them,they sound great and on my windows 7 x64 DAW work very well. THe zero latency monitoring along with the control rooms means you can always have zero latency monitor mixes with reverb regardless of project buffer size.

Only personal niggle's I have are:

1: in slave mode they don't automatically follow sample rate so you have to plug them in to the computer to do that with the editor.

2:You can't split the SPDIF input signal into two mono left and right channels it's only a stereo in/out

3: The bug with EW play that crashes cubase on first opening of large EW play projects.

MC
Old 21st September 2012
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Thank you Guys, that was very helpful.

Masaaki wrote
"5) I don't have Steinberg, so I can't tell, but Profire 2626+HDSP 9632 is a very good combination, as long as you can use PF2626 in stable condition (TI FW, legacy FW driver, etc is important)."

Just a doubt on that. If you were using the Profire in standalone mode, would you need to connect the profire to the computer? And if you were slaving the Profire to the 9632, and you were to change the sample rate of the 9632 would the 2626 follow automatically? ( Is it like that or...! I don't know how word clock works.) Is there a difference between syncing via SPDIF and wordclock?

Also, one other thing -
I've read here on Gearslutz that the analog inputs of the Profire are not affected by the gain knobs. (They control only MicPre Gains) and that their signal is directly passed to the converters.
A) Is this a good thing or a bad thing? Has anyone felt that this is a drawback? Is it something you can fix via driver or firmware update? (Maybe a foolish question...)

B) Are the analog inputs of the MR816X/CSX too like this or does the gain controls control the gain levels of the analog line inputs too?

Thanks in advance
Old 21st September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I answer only to the profire-related questions (since I have it, but don't have the 816).

Stability of profire 2626 on standalone mode is not affected by the computer, of course. However, you need to change setups, like sample rate, master/slave/clocking options, and most importantly routing when 2626 is connected to the computer via firewire. That's why you need a solid system that allows you to set up 2626, and I really recommend FW rig with TI chipset.

You can keep 2626 hooked up via FW, while you use 9632/AIO as main ASIO interface, which allows super low latency performance. I actually do that, because it is convenient, and I can change the routing anytime. In this case, 2626 is AD/DA. Another reason for that is, I can change the routing to two headphone outs in 2626's driver mixer.

Regarding the clocking, as long as 2626 is slave and receive syncing clock from 9632/AIO, word clock or SPDIF/AES doesn't really matter. When the sample rate in 9632/AIO is changed, 2626 follows the change. Of course, there are no differences in sound quality.

Finally, regarding the analog inputs of 2626, it uses combo jacks, which means, when you insert 1/4 plugs, it automatically bypass the preamp and the gain knobs don't work. This is actually a good thing and advantage, because the analog inputs at line level doesn't go through extra preamp circuits. However, I should say people are too much concerned about "Can it bypass preamp?" kind of questions. Generally speaking, even line signals go through preamps (with pads), sound alteration is very subtle and not noticeable most of the time.

Hope this helps.
Old 23rd September 2012
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Thanks Masaaki...Great help. So basically in this setup the converters of the 9632 (both A-D and D-A are bypassed...) right?
Old 25th September 2012
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Would anyone using the MR816x and have seen and heard the Profire2626 + HDSP9632 setup or vice versa, or even better those of you who have both the setups please chime in about the output quality and driver stability of these two setups.

I don't do a lot of live recordings. Only occasional small takes and my voice, singing guides, and some straight takes. Right now I don't even have a good mic, but may buy a good one in the future. What I do is majorly In The Box programming. So my major concern is -how good would the things that I do in the DAW sound depending on the converters of the interface I use?

Since I'm planning to expand my VSTi setups in the future, I would really prefer rock solid driver stability. I do use a lot of internal DSP processing with EQ's, Reverbs, Modulations, Filters, etc and also mixes. So for me, the main concern is that the output should sound good, and not just good - very, very good. But I suppose that's what everybody would want, right?

If the RME A-D and D-A in the HDSP+Profire setup are completely bypassed, what is the role of the RME card in this setup? Would the Profire's converters be used for internal processing? ( If anyone has a clear idea of this please do help. Maybe Scott from ADK can help).

Reading of all the things that I hear about the MR816X, it is the most irresistible piece of gear on the computer music market right now ( At least according to me, given it's price range.), and I'm heavily pulled to choosing it over the HDSP+Profire setup . So my dilemma is which one to choose.

But driver stability reigns supreme over all other factors. So it all boils down to the quality of the drivers of the MR816x/csx compared to the HDSP 9632 or HDSPe AIO (Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit - SP1). Of course sound quality too would matter, but in second position.

Please do comment on this.
Old 25th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
if you're not recording big live sessions or not mixing OTB, why do you need 2 audio interfaces with a lot of I/O?
You should buy good quality 2/2 card - that's all. Buy RME Babyface and be happy.
Old 25th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
As I've already stated the drivers are fine with the MR816 if you have a T.I firewire card.

If you're using cubase/Nuendo as well it's a no brainer due to the total integration.

MC
Old 25th September 2012
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
I do have a Yamaha MOTIF, a Roland Fantom XR and an aging E-mu sampler. So I need line inputs. 2 headphone outs is a necessity in my case. I just thought that the mic pres might come in handy later. just in case. I do agree with zvukofor. But I really would like to know about the Profire+9632 or AIO setup compared to the MR816X. If anyone can comment, it would be helpful
Old 22nd September 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by norbury brook ➑️
well....the RME will give you lower latency if that's important and you'll be able to choose your AD/DA and upgrade when necessary. The 816 big points are its integration with cubase so if you're not using cubase you loose a big plus point.

I've been using 2x 816's since they came out and have excellent service from them,they sound great and on my windows 7 x64 DAW work very well. THe zero latency monitoring along with the control rooms means you can always have zero latency monitor mixes with reverb regardless of project buffer size.

Only personal niggle's I have are:

1: in slave mode they don't automatically follow sample rate so you have to plug them in to the computer to do that with the editor.

2:You can't split the SPDIF input signal into two mono left and right channels it's only a stereo in/out

3: The bug with EW play that crashes cubase on first opening of large EW play projects.

MC
To have zero Latency monitoring....would I always have to Mute the track the signal is coming into so there wont be flanging due to the monitor and the Daw monitor????? or is there a better way to do this???
πŸ“ Reply