Quantcast
HP Elitebook 8560w - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
HP Elitebook 8560w
Old 20th September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
HP Elitebook 8560w

I'm in need a of new laptop soon and have been reading good things about the Elitebooks. I do a lot of live sound work so primary use of the computer will be for running Smaart Acoustic Measurement software and control software for various digital gear, but I also need a notebook that I can use tracking live performances of bands. I would want to be able to record at least 24 channels to a 2nd HDD(internal or external). I've also been wanting to experiment with using a PC for insert processing at a live show with WavesLive, Ableton, or some other kind of VST host so I need to be capable of running at very low latencies, though not at high channel counts. It will also see use as a mobile DAW for my own projects. I use Cubase 6 and Ableton 8 but I also have a desktop workstation in my home studio so I won't need this laptop for any intense mixing projects.

Right now I have a Focusrite Saffire pro 26 interface so I need firewire for the time being. Latency performance with the Saffire and my desktop is acceptable but not great. I'm planning on upgrading this to an RME interface at some point in the future.

Everything thing I've read here has been positive for using the Elitebook for audio production except I found this review which showed poor DPC Latency results. I'm looking at a pretty different configuration with an i7 2760-QM and NVidia Quadro 1000m vs the i5 and AMD Firepro 5950 that the review unit had so hopefully that will make a difference?

Review HP EliteBook 8560w-LG660EA Notebook - Notebookcheck.net Reviews

Has anybody had any DPC spikes with their Elitebooks and what did you have to do to resolve it? Is there anything to be concerned about when picking components? NVidia vs. AMD gpu? Wifi, Bluetooth?

What are your thoughts on refurbished laptops? I'd like to keep the budget around $1000-1200 so I can get a much better spec'd notebook going this route vs. buying new. I've also been looking at a Lenovo W520 and ADK but so far I like the Elitebooks the best.

Thanks for any advice you can give.
Eric
Old 20th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Eric,

I've been using an HP elite book 8460p for a couple of months now as a live keyboard rig no problems. I'm running at very low latency (3ms) with the on board sound card and using Reaper as my host.

I've connected my Steinberg MR816 firewire and it seems to work fine, and I've also tested the UR824 usb and that works great too.

I bought a cheap base model from Ebay and just upgraded everything which is easy to do with the elitebooks. I swapped out the CPU for an i7 2.5 ghz sandybridge quad 2860QM, dropped in 16 gigs of DDR 1600 ram. I bought a second drive caddy and added an internal 2nd SSD hard drive.

I just make sure I switch off wireless when doing DAW duties.

I also like the fact it has a high res non glossy screen,and it's about the same size as my partners old white 13inch mac book.

IT's not the prettiest machine in the world, but it's built like a tank and does a great job

MC
Old 20th September 2012 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Thanks for the info MC!

I like your idea of upgrading a base model. I think it's definately a good idea for RAM and I'd like to get an SSD at some point though this will probably have to wait. Looks like it would be cheaper to get the model with the faster processor already than to upgrade it afterward though.

What graphics card do you have in your 8460p?
Old 20th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Eric,

I have the Radeon HD6470m in there. I was surprised at what this current machine actually ended up costing me.

I sold my 15 Envy for £410 on ebay
I bought the elitebook for £350 on ebay
sold the cpu £50 on ebay

So I'm now at £300

bought new i7 quad £200

16 gig ram £58

Drive caddy £15

SSD crucial M4 128 £75

so total price was: £648

so the whole upgrade from my envy was only £238 and I've ended up with a killer machine on par with the current macbook pro which spec'd like that would be close to £2000!

MC
Old 21st November 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
norbury, where did you buy the hard drive caddy from?
Old 21st November 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by norbury brook ➡️

so the whole upgrade from my envy was only £238 and I've ended up with a killer machine on par with the current macbook pro which spec'd like that would be close to £2000!
so much win right there.
Old 21st November 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by takman ➡️
norbury, where did you buy the hard drive caddy from?
2nd hard drive Caddy For HP EliteBook 8460p 8560p 8760p | eBay
📝 Reply