Quantcast
1 big screen or 2 medium screen in home studio? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
1 big screen or 2 medium screen in home studio?
View Poll Results: Ideal Screen Size for Home Studio?
2 large (30-40")
0 Votes - 0%
1 large (30-40")
5 Votes - 18.52%
2 medium (23-28")
11 Votes - 40.74%
1 lrg & 1 med
4 Votes - 14.81%
1 medium (23-28")
4 Votes - 14.81%
Other
3 Votes - 11.11%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Old 20th September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
1 big screen or 2 medium screen in home studio?

Trying to decide on my set up.

Ideally or currently, what would you rather work with?

1 big screen 30 - 40"

or

2 medium size screens 23 - 28"

or just one 27"

Last edited by Channe1; 20th September 2012 at 07:36 AM.. Reason: Confusing wording.
Old 20th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Resolution is a factor. A massive screen doesn't give any extra space if it's still 1080v. I'm looking into getting a cheaper 27" with 1440v from Korea, they're about Β£200-Β£250! I'm very used to two screens though I could possibly be happy with just the big 27", but I'll also need to upgrade my graphics card to run it.
Old 20th September 2012
Gear Maniac

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I just went from two small screens to a 32'' and I couldn't be more happy. Editing rocks and it is easier to stay in my sweet spot when I can see every little detail without moving closer.
Old 21st September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
A big question to ask yourself is how far away will the screen(s) be?
Old 21st September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickflip ➑️
Resolution is a factor. A massive screen doesn't give any extra space if it's still 1080v.
Exactly. I have a Dell 3011, which is 2560x1900 resolution as the main screen along with a 19" on which I keep TotalMix and a couple of other things docked. The depth of 1900 verses 1080 allows for a pretty significant amount of extra data.

The distance you sit from the screens is an important but different issue, and the distance is calculated differently depending upon the image. Obviously you can sit further from a movie/TV screen than you can from a screen filled with text and data windows.
Old 21st September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I suppose it depends on your particular setup. IE, how big is the room, what's the distance from monitor(s), do you have the space to use bigger monitors, and will these impede sound from your monitor speakers?
Old 21st September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Keep in mind that unless the screens are brand new LED ones, the big screens add a fair bit of heat to the room. I have two older Dell 30" WPF displays, and they really do add a lot of heat. I bought them used for a reall good price several years ago, though. Oh, and I have a 24" display up top connected to a second PC which is always connected to Redmond (use Input Director to share keyb/mouse)

My desk is for a lot more than audio (writing/editing, video work, etc.), so the screens help in a number of places. Slightly older (and blurry) shot of the setup: home_office_displays | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Downside of getting used to big displays like this: you become completely unproductive when you're sitting in front of a laptop. The big screens really get you used to a new style of working.
Old 21st September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Other: one large central, two on the sides. It's what I have in my studio.

Arranged like this:

- Left screen (24", angled 135 deg.)
- Left NFM (angled to produce an equilateral triangle with your head and the right NFM)
- Central screen (30")
- Right NFM (ditto as left NFM)
- Right screen (24", angled 45 deg.)

Once you try this, you don't want to go back...
Old 21st September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Keep in mind that once you go over 2 displays, you typically need a second video card, or a card or machine with multiple displayport outputs, hdmi, or similar with the capability to use them all simultaneously. Plus, needs to be a beefy card to push to all those screens. Always double-check specs.
Old 21st September 2012
BOP
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Right now I have a 27 inch running at 1920 x 1200 and a crappy 15 inch sitting on top of my side rack (for direct monitoring window and similar utilities). The 15 inch is a backup for a nicer 19 inch that died a while ago.

Back when I used to do visual work I mostly worked on two CTR monitors and believe me, 21 inch flat screen ctr was considered huge (heavy hunk of junk, only the screen was flat, which again was a big new thing for me at one time)

I would always go for two over one because I have a pair of eyes and they sit horizontally from each other, which is a good reason for going for wide picture.

My ideal setup would be to have my monitors soffit mounted and covered with the right type of fabric that allows for projection but does not mangle with the high's.
My desk would be first setup to be the ideal distance from the monitors and then I would setup two projectors to project something of a cinemascope ratio over the relevant walla.

This way there would be no screens standing in the way of sound and the projectors could be nicely sticking out of the sound treatment on the ceiling, composed somehow into it's form.

Take into account the condition of your sight when figuring this **** out.
For instance, my screen is quite sizable and high quality yet I am constantly bending forward, even while wearing glasses.
I think that I would need everything many times larger (and 3inches more of screen would not make much of a difference per average DAW UI element on screen) to not do that bending forward thing subconsciously.

You have to think outside the box since the setups popular now will not necessarily fit your need. I have a great playboy article from the 60ties about the ultimate city crib which featured 15 inch tv's
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOP ➑️

My ideal setup would be to have my monitors soffit mounted and covered with the right type of fabric that allows for projection but does not mangle with the high's.
My desk would be first setup to be the ideal distance from the monitors and then I would setup two projectors to project something of a cinemascope ratio over the relevant walla.
Projectors are just not that great for small home studio environments yet. I've been saying that for a long time... and the progression of technology has been amazing, but unless you can use a rear projection down-firing setup so that the projector light is basically aimed into your eyes, it is always going to be a lot harder to look at than a more traditional visual panel.

I've also been using multiple monitors for many years, had three screens on the DAW in the studio since the mid 1990s (flat CRTs, yah...), and I also like them straight ahead or a little higher for ergonomic reasons. It seems that most DAW users like them low, don't get that, don't want a crick in my neck from looking down. Right now my Dell 30 incher is mounted high enough that I look straight ahead with my back straight, and I can sit there for hours.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychlist1972 ➑️
Keep in mind that once you go over 2 displays, you typically need a second video card, or a card or machine with multiple displayport outputs, hdmi, or similar with the capability to use them all simultaneously. Plus, needs to be a beefy card to push to all those screens. Always double-check specs.
There's actually a pretty good choice of graphic cards today that can handle 3 monitors, and they don't need to be super-expensive. ATI Efinity cards can easily do that, although you do need a display port, which is still not tremendously common.

Also, there's nothing wrong with using multiple cards.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul in SoCal ➑️
There's actually a pretty good choice of graphic cards today that can handle 3 monitors, and they don't need to be super-expensive. ATI Efinity cards can easily do that, although you do need a display port, which is still not tremendously common.

Also, there's nothing wrong with using multiple cards.
Nope, as long as your motherboard has room for those (which are often dual slot size-wise) and, if you're using one, a PCI/e/x/whatever card.

My last computer had two cards plus an EMU PCI card for audio/midi and it was too crammed. There was no real airflow in there and the EMU would get hot and start acting funky. I could not put the EMU card in the one slot which would get it out of the way because the mobo manufacturer decided that slot would share resources with one of the video card slots, and you couldn't change it in the bios. Crackle crackle.

So, it's just a decision you need to keep in mind when figuring out what you need. The placement of the specific cards is a big deal once you get into more than one graphics card.

Agreed on the ATI, which is why I mentioned displayport

Pete
Old 21st September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I've seen someone using two screens on the video card and one on a USB 3.0 external video card. Probably not the best solution for multiple-screen games or video editing, but it seemed to work flawlessly with his DAW.

It's another alternative worth considering.
Old 22nd September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
I use one medium on top of the desk, and have a large one mounted. The large one was mounted for video and as we'll to keep clients, visitors, etc. out of my grill when I'm working.
Old 22nd September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I'm using 2- 20" screens. It's perfect size, fits on my desk nicely. Depends on preference I guess... I just hate switching between edit/mix windows when only using 1 screen!
Old 17th May 2014 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
i got a 27 apple display with a 24 inch one i had for a while works ti is alll based on preferance i like using 2 screns so i can have one to mix on and one to edit on it that good way to put it
πŸ“ Reply