Tips on dialing Massey L2007 Limiter plugin - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Tips on dialing Massey L2007 Limiter plugin
Old 20th September 2012
Gear Nut

5 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Tips on dialing Massey L2007 Limiter plugin

So I finished mixing an EP and I want to finish the job without paying somebody else.. because I'm poor. It seems like mastering your own project is a legit thing these days for the budget conscious, indie rock guys like Sam Coomes do it and Skrillex before he had Bob Ludwig's number.

So I have the Massey Limiter, I've messed around with it but the controls seem very delicate and I'm wondering if anyone could provide some basic tips on how they like to dial this plugin. Also it seems people like to run Massey into the Izotope limiter, but for $250 is it really worth double limiting? I could also chain in my Microlimiter..

Musically this project has lots of low-mid richness, kind of Bon Iver or Radiohead sounding frequency-wise. Lots of parallel compression, the mix has been through a UA 1176 and a Neve True Tape so it's already pretty dense. I want it sounding loud but open and not all slammed to ****, basically just shaving off the high peaks.
Old 20th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Do NOT put plug in your MicroLimiter (although in parallel you might find it useful for adding some girth).

L2007 sounds very good, and is well designed to be effective and simple to use. I don't do mastering myself (much prefer someone else's trustworthy ears fresh on my mixes doing that), but I will, on occasion do a quick 'slam' session to make things loud for artists that want to listen to mixes in the car or for someone who isn't going to master the project right away. L2007 is my go to for that.

I generally just open the L2007, select 'vibrant' mode, 'normal' release (or fast, if it's an uptempo track), back the output off a couple of ticks (literally, just two of the faintest movements it will do when slowly pulling the level back -- don't know what this is, since there is no number, but it seems to work well keeping thing loud while leaving cheap D/A's some headroom for playback), and then drop the threshold till things are kicking nicely.

The L2007 is one of the few things I've probably under analyzed in use, but it just sounds great, and it really is simple to use. On occasion I'll put a Waves mastering EQ (forget what it's called -- the phase coherent one) in front to lighten the low end with an LF shelf of -1 or -2dB before the Massey.

Hope that helps you some.

Joel
Old 20th September 2012
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattseidel ➑️
It seems like mastering your own project is a legit thing these days for the budget conscious, indie rock guys like Sam Coomes do it and Skrillex before he had Bob Ludwig's number.
There was a doctor stationed in Antarctica that removed her own appendix. I don't think it was to save a buck, though. Don't know if it has made operating on yourself 'legit', exactly.

Quote:
So I have the Massey Limiter, I've messed around with it but the controls seem very delicate and I'm wondering if anyone could provide some basic tips on how they like to dial this plugin.
Delicate? I love the 2007, but the way I use it, I would say there isn't that much to it. I crank it up until it starts to sound bad and then I back it off a little. How do I know where that is? Hey, I'm self mastering - I'm just shooting in the dark!
Old 20th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Smooth mode is my fav, Vibrant next. Definitely listen closely between the 2 an what's appropriate for the song. Usually both at Normal. I'll typically set out at -6dBfs, but for "quick" master render at -3, if converting to mp3. Try both. Not a fan of slamming it to -.1 tho.

Oh, did I mention I luv the Massey 2007? That gent knows his stuff!
Old 20th September 2012 | Show parent
Gear Nut

5 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascal Audio ➑️
Do NOT put plug in your MicroLimiter
Haha probably a good idea.
Old 20th September 2012
Gear Nut

5 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Great suggestions, thanks dudes!
Old 20th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Massey L2007 is great. I use it to put on my "client version" of my mix. I do not self-master, but if would probably use this or Slate FGX if I did.

The 2007 is easy to use, and generally sounds great if you have a good mix and just want to make it a bit louder.

Cheers,

JROD
Old 20th September 2012 | Show parent
Gear Nut

5 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrod9900 ➑️
Massey L2007 is great. I use it to put on my "client version" of my mix. I do not self-master, but if would probably use this or Slate FGX if I did.
Right, that's essentially what I'm going for. For a physical release I would definitely want a professional master.
πŸ“ Reply