Quantcast
Purchasing Cubase 6.5: Do I have this correct? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Purchasing Cubase 6.5: Do I have this correct?
Old 20th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Purchasing Cubase 6.5: Do I have this correct?

So I've been looking at ways to purchase Cubase 6.5 (legally - no shady ebay sellers) for as little as possible. I've also been interested in their little CMC controllers as my synths are not right at my PC.

I've wanted Cubase for some time; it better fits the way I work vs what I've been using and others I've tried. (I do a lot with hardware MIDI instruments, for one)

Anyway, so if I have this correct, I can:
  • Purchase a CMC device from their site (despite the annoying trendy guy in the video). Each CMC includes Cubase AI 6. Cost is $100
  • Purchase a USB eLicenser for $28.00
  • Purchase the Cubase 6.5 *upgrade* from AI. for $300

Total comes to $428, plus I scored a piece of hardware. Most places sell Cubase 6/6.5 for $499.

Anyone else done this? Seems like an unusually good deal.

Pete
Old 20th September 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Don't be afraid of ebay. There are a lot of verified and/or official companies that work from it. Example: I bought a pair of yamaha hs80m's brand new from a yamaha authorized dealer on ebay for 480 shipped. That would have cost me $700+ at say guitar center.

This is where i bought my cubase off of:
Steinberg Cubase 6.5 - Recording Software MAC/PC (Edu. Ver.) FREE NEXT DAY AIR! | eBay

Educational edition = half off, same as the orignal full product

ps coughcough*this company didn't ask me for any verification as to if i am a student/ non profit worker... but you didn't hear it from me*coughcough heh heh
Old 20th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Nova Musik is an excellent store and very reputable. They're also an authorized Steinberg reseller and their customer service is top notch. Of course they're on EBay.
Old 20th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
@Paul

I've bought a fair bit from NovaMusik in the past. However, over the past few months, their site has tons of errors (many of the specials you click on from the main page give you ASP.NET yellow screens of death, like the Jomox one), and almost everything I look for is out of stock. It almost feels like they are going out of business. Not saying they are, just saying it doesn't inspire confidence.

That said, I still have my MiniBrute pre-ordered through them

The known brand resellers on ebay that I saw are selling Cubase 6+ at the $499 price or near enough to it. Then there are odd little guys selling it for like $350 which makes me wonder.

Why I'm cautious about a deal too good: Years ago I bought Lightwave on eBay for a good price. They were a reputable seller, insisted it was the full version etc. Turns out it was the academic version, but you didn't have to prove a whole lot at the time (Newtek didn't check ID, they left it to the resellers). They sold it for more than the academic version costs, but they didn't check your ID. This was also during the time when sellers would blackmail you with poor feedback, before eBay changed the system. Luckily I was able to register it, but never was happy with that, and upgrading from it later was a no-go. Since then, no software from eBay unless I really do know the seller.

Pete
Old 20th September 2012 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychlist1972 ➑️
@Paul

I've bought a fair bit from NovaMusik in the past. However, over the past few months, their site has tons of errors (many of the specials you click on from the main page give you ASP.NET yellow screens of death, like the Jomox one), and almost everything I look for is out of stock. It almost feels like they are going out of business. Not saying they are, just saying it doesn't inspire confidence.

That said, I still have my MiniBrute pre-ordered through them

The known brand resellers on ebay that I saw are selling Cubase 6+ at the $499 price or near enough to it. Then there are odd little guys selling it for like $350 which makes me wonder.

Why I'm cautious about a deal too good: Years ago I bought Lightwave on eBay for a good price. They were a reputable seller, insisted it was the full version etc. Turns out it was the academic version, but you didn't have to prove a whole lot at the time (Newtek didn't check ID, they left it to the resellers). They sold it for more than the academic version costs, but they didn't check your ID. This was also during the time when sellers would blackmail you with poor feedback, before eBay changed the system. Luckily I was able to register it, but never was happy with that, and upgrading from it later was a no-go. Since then, no software from eBay unless I really do know the seller.

Pete
why couldn't you upgrade?
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by yourmajesty ➑️
why couldn't you upgrade?
It has been quite a while, but I recall two things:

1. Academic -> Retail upgrade was prohibitively expensive at the time, plus there was question (see below) about whether I even could upgrade.

2. Academic -> academic was not possible as they tightened up their policies and procedures there. Plus, as I said, that just felt wrong anyway.

I recall some anomolies around registration as well where the product worked but registration wasn't going to happen, so I was basically using unsupported dead-end software anyway, but I honestly don't remember the details anymore.

It was for hobby use, so I just used it for a bit and eventually dropped it. Good product, though.

Actually, looking at my shelf, it looks like it was 3ds Max, not lightwave. lol. My memory of that time is even worse than I thought. (I had purchased both through ebay, but one was this deal, the other was fine). I liked both products, but I *loved* the warm rendering you got from lightwave.

Pete
Old 20th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
There really isn't any catch to Steinbergs upgrade prices as I suspect that most people purchase Cubase that way.

I don't see any reason why you couldn't buy a CMC and upgrade the included version of Cubase if that version is listed as an upgrade option on the Steinberg website.

I would also recommend upgrading Padshop to Padshop Pro as well, it's ridiculously cheap to do so (Β£8 in the UK!)
Old 20th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Thanks. I decided late last night just to give it a whirl and see what happens. I couldn't find any reason it *wouldn't* work.

I'll check out Pandshop and eval Padshop pro. I've optimized most of my poly hardware synths for pads, but will be interesting to see what that brings to the game.

Pete
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
It'll work 100% fine. The one thing I'd have said to check is whether or not the AI upgrade comes bundled with a dongle. It probably won't (upgrades from Steinberg generally don't). But the normal reason for that is they expect you to have a dongle from the previous version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychlist1972 ➑️
I've also been interested in their little CMC controllers as my synths are not right at my PC.
If the goal is to operate Cubase remotely then you could do what you want to do a lot cheaper (and arguably more effectively) with a touch based device (iOS/Android etc) and an app which allows emulating the Mackie control protocol.

Glass isn't much of a substitute for dedicated physical controls, so I'd still rather use CMC's (than a tablet) when sitting at the computer. But, if you're moving around a bunch of synths, a tablet solution could be much better.
Old 20th September 2012
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Congratz on choosing your DAW wisely. Long time Cubase user here. Love it.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by enecosse ➑️
It'll work 100% fine. The one thing I'd have said to check is whether or not the AI upgrade comes bundled with a dongle. It probably won't (upgrades from Steinberg generally don't). But the normal reason for that is they expect you to have a dongle from the previous version.
Thanks. It did say that you need a dongle and it didn't come with one, so I ordered one at the same time. Even with that, it was still cheaper than the usual price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by enecosse ➑️
If the goal is to operate Cubase remotely then you could do what you want to do a lot cheaper (and arguably more effectively) with a touch based device (iOS/Android etc) and an app which allows emulating the Mackie control protocol.

Glass isn't much of a substitute for dedicated physical controls, so I'd still rather use CMC's (than a tablet) when sitting at the computer. But, if you're moving around a bunch of synths, a tablet solution could be much better.
Good idea. My office/studio is small, it's just not convenient to turn/reach around behind me to deal with the computer for everything when at the synths. I think between the mapping on the controller plus the cubase control for start/stop etc. that'll be enough for now.

That said, I'll check into the prototcol. I did an internal demo a few months back showing how easy it was to implement OSC over WiFi on a win8 tablet. If the Mackie protocol goes over WiFi (tcp or udp) it will be doable there as well.

Pete
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro5 ➑️
Congratz on choosing your DAW wisely. Long time Cubase user here. Love it.
Thanks. I'm a long time FL Studio user, but I find myself fighting the workflow (especially with MIDI) every time I use it. Great program if you're doing what it was originally designed for, though

Pete
Old 20th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I used to use FL a while ago too, and while it's more than capable the workflow frustrated me too. And the mixer is just rubbish imo.

I've also got a couple of the CMC units here (CH and TP) and they're great. My CH unit has a weird pan pot stickiness to it, but having delved into other people's problems it seems I'm alone so probably just a one off.
Old 20th September 2012
Deleted 56021e5
What I did was to get Cubase Studio 5 at second handed with USB key included at very low price and then upgraded to Cubase 6.5
Old 20th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
the CMC's are great little devices, very small footprint and shallow enough to go an a keyboard shelf under your desk

MC
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted 56021e5 ➑️
What I did was to get Cubase Studio 5 at second handed with USB key included at very low price and then upgraded to Cubase 6.5
That's another good idea.

I actually upgraded from Cubase Studio 4, which I bought ages ago for about Β£90 ($140)
Old 1st October 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Just thought I'd come back around and mention that this approach worked. Everything activated and installed fine. I didn't need to install Cubase AI first, I just had to have its activation key in the license manager.

Pete
πŸ“ Reply