Quantcast
Perfect timing - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Perfect timing
Old 19th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Perfect timing

Hello, this is inspired by this thread: Poll: Do some DAWs have superior sound? (and, are you a programmer / engineer?).

Though I don't think different DAWs "sound" noticeably different (maybe some differences in their summing engines, e.g. 64 bit integer vs. 32 bit float...) but in my experience many DAWs have some timing and latency issues (more or less) - especially if you mix with a lot of plugins, hardware inserts (very critical, had some serious problems in Reaper with my Bricasti M7), plugins with a very high latency (e.g. linear phase EQs) and additional midi tracks with "big" VSTIs (e.g. Superior Drummer).

And even without any plugins I noticed that my overdubs are not always 100% in sync with the "older" tracks (had a problem here in Reaper though I did the monitoring at 96 kHz and 64 samples in TotalMix) - sometimes so much that you can even hear it...

I have a very fast and "tuned" audio PC with a RME AES32 PCIe card and "DPC Latency Checker" shows good results - so my system should work well for "real time audio".

So what are your experiences here? What is the "tightest", "rock solid" DAW out there?

Oliver
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…