Quantcast
Mac mini - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Mac mini
Old 19th September 2012
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Mac mini

Is anyone using a MAC Mini for your studio computer?

Apple reps have told me that I should take the $799 Mac Mini and do a few modifications such as...upgrade the 4Gb to 8GB....500gigs to 750gigs...i5 to i7...among other options.

I need split screens and I don't want to pay $999 for another 27" monitor so Im selling my 27" Mac and this is basically my best option other than getting the MAC PRO.

Can anyone testify to the Mac Mini being a good option for my studio computer?
Old 19th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TS211 ➑️
Is anyone using a MAC Mini for your studio computer?

Apple reps have told me that I should take the $799 Mac Mini and do a few modifications such as...upgrade the 4Gb to 8GB....500gigs to 750gigs...i5 to i7...among other options.

I need split screens and I don't want to pay $999 for another 27" monitor so Im selling my 27" Mac and this is basically my best option other than getting the MAC PRO.

Can anyone testify to the Mac Mini being a good option for my studio computer?
I used a mac mini about 3 years ago with logic, dual monitors etc. I upgraded to 4 GB from 2GB and I never really had any issues using Logic Pro 8 then 9 for short time. My productions are never more than 20 tracks though so depending on how you work and track stuff it may be worth the extra 4GB upgrade. I wouldn't have any issues going back to using it, though now I'm completely OTB. Like I said, mac mini is more than enough.
Old 19th September 2012
Gear Head

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
I am currently using the latest version Mac Mini with Logic 9 and Mountain Lion 10.8.1. it works flawlessly and Ive done more the 20 tracks. That said im selling it if you are interested. Ive always been a windows user, thought i could convert myself using logic and a mac mini, while this setup is great.. its a different animal that i dont see myself getting used to. and I dont mean logic I mean MAC. If i could use logic 9 in winblows I would.

this machine is Core i5, 8GB ram, Radeon 6630M graphics,750GB HDD selling it for $1100 let me know if you are interested @ [email protected]
Old 19th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I agree with what others said. I ran Logic (7, 8 and 9) on Mac Mini's with no problems (maybe 20 tracks at most). I recently got a Mac Mini server and got Pro Tools 10. No problems and runs great.
Old 20th September 2012
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
I really appreciate your input guys.
This MINI may end up being used with the Symphony I/O + 8x8 module USB connections
So would that be a problem for any reason?
And would tracking 8 inputs at the same time cause any problem?

Maniac I am getting a quote of just under $1200. What about yours creates the value for paying $100 less? Computer specs are where i fall way short hence this post so let me know and maybe we can speak further about it buddy

$1,198.00
6 or 12 month special financing options
Available to ship:
1-3 business days
Free Shipping
Add to Cart
Just Ask
1-800-MY-APPLE
Live Chat

Specifications
2.7GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i7
8GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x4GB
750GB Serial ATA Drive @ 7200 rpm
Apple Thunderbolt cable (2.0 m)
User's Guide (English)
Old 20th September 2012 | Show parent
Gear Head

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TS211 ➑️
I really appreciate your input guys.
This MINI may end up being used with the Symphony I/O + 8x8 module USB connections
So would that be a problem for any reason?
And would tracking 8 inputs at the same time cause any problem?

Maniac I am getting a quote of just under $1200. What about yours creates the value for paying $100 less? Computer specs are where i fall way short hence this post so let me know and maybe we can speak further about it buddy

$1,198.00
6 or 12 month special financing options
Available to ship:
1-3 business days
Free Shipping
Add to Cart
Just Ask
1-800-MY-APPLE
Live Chat

Specifications
2.7GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i7
8GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x4GB
750GB Serial ATA Drive @ 7200 rpm
Apple Thunderbolt cable (2.0 m)
User's Guide (English)

interesting.. the processor is a little better on the 1 your showing me.
I would be willing to sell it for 1000 straight up, the processor is worth about 200 bucks and all the other specs are the same I believe. I bought it for 1200 and change about 3 months ago.

let me know what you think..
Old 20th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I bought the Quad Core with 16 GB.
Thinking Small(er) :: Film Music Magazine
Old 20th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
If you have a search around in this forum, you'll find plenty of other posts with user experiences included. Largely good, I seem to recall.
I currently use an iMac, but im sure a Mac Mini would do me just fine too. I'd strongly consider one myself next time around.
Old 20th September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Lots of people are expecting Apple to update the Mac Mini in October when the iMac lineup is supposedly going to be update. The Mac Buyer's guide shows the Mini passed its typical life cycle, so it may be worth holding out until then. You may be able to get more computer for about the same amount of cash, or be able to score a deal on someone trying to unload their 2011 model (i.e. the current models).
Old 20th September 2012
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
They haven't update the Mac Mini since 7/2011. New update is suppose to include Thunderbolt.
Old 20th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvnc12 ➑️
They haven't update the Mac Mini since 7/2011. New update is suppose to include Thunderbolt.
The current models already contain Thunderbolt.
http://www.apple.com/macmini/

Old 20th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
You would have to have a very high track count or be using inefficient synths to have any issues with the CPU power of a contemporary MacMini. I have an older one as a secondary machine, and it has just been money very well spent.
Old 20th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
i'm using a mac mini server with pro tools 10. no problems here and i use soft synths.
Old 21st September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
The mac mini SERVER is a very nice machine and can be had for $850 at apple's refurb store. Benchmarks better than the first generation intel mac pro. Standard with a quad core i7, two internal drives, super cheap to fill with ram, etc....
Old 22nd September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by madgansound ➑️
The mac mini SERVER is a very nice machine and can be had for $850 at apple's refurb store. Benchmarks better than the first generation intel mac pro. Standard with a quad core i7, two internal drives, super cheap to fill with ram, etc....

Two 7200rpm drives at that. You can then go to Best Buy or another retailer and get 16 gigs of ram for $100. You'd have a very capable machine there.
Old 23rd September 2012
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Anyone getting.more than 20 tracks of audio with pt10 and a macmini?
Old 23rd September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlpd3147 ➑️
Not Pro Tools, but I'm working on something right now on a Mini Server (with 16G RAM) in Logic that is currently at 42 tracks of audio.
Old 23rd September 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
I'm using an 06 Mac mini and pulled in 48 tracks fully mixed record and was still able to.do overdubs..... Computers are powerful now bro. The least of your worries.
Old 23rd September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlpd3147 ➑️
Answer 1: I have recorded up to 60 tracks on a macbook pro to a FW external hard drive without glitches. The new Mac Mini is 4 times faster than my MBP.

Answer 2:
How old is your favourite record ever?
Do you remember the most powerful computer at the time? The new Mac Mini is more powerful than that. Just buy it and make some music.
Old 7th January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
I am going through this same analysis. My Q is: with all the power of the Intel Ivy Bridge i5 chip, is there really any reason to go with the more powerful mini for simple studio apps? I record via an Allen & Heath mixer, and am curious what advantages the 'bigger' mac mini would offer? Also, with a standard mem bank of 4Gigs, is doubling that really going to make a noticeable improvement?
πŸ“ Reply