Quantcast
Will a word clock improve MY setup? - Page 3 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Will a word clock improve MY setup?
Old 23rd September 2012 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
NMS. My opinion Is that internal is best for most situations. I have also used external clocks and seen improvement. This is more the exception than the rule.

As a general rule of thumb, in my experience, stay with your internal clock.

That is not in agreement with the SOS article which clearly trying to perpetuate that an external clock will NEVER improve the situation and ALWAYS degrades the situation.

Really you should take a break. You seem to be losing your mind.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhirny ➡️
NMS. My opinion Is that internal is best for most situations. I have also used external clocks and seen improvement. This is more the exception than the rule.

As a general rule of thumb, in my experience, stay with your internal clock.

That is not in agreement with the SOS article which clearly trying to perpetuate that an external clock will NEVER improve the situation and ALWAYS degrades the situation.

Really you should take a break. You seem to be losing your mind.
I've read a lot of what Dan Lavry has written on this issue and it strikes me as odd that you pay lip service to him on this issue in general but continue to contradict many of his conclusions.

Here is an excerpt from one of the long Lavry quotes (from this board) above...

Dan Lavry:
Quote:
What you need is the “best clock circuit you can make” that is very steady to be very near your AD circuit – short connection, good grounding… That is internal clock.

Say you take the same “best clock circuit you can make” and put it in another chassis. Will that be better? Not, it will be worse. You now have to deal with 2 chassis thus grounding issues. You have a cable that can pick interference, you have a cable termination imperfection, a cable driver, a cable receiver, and I did not even start… By the time your clock arrives from the clock box, it has so much jitter that it requires some “jitter cleaning circuitry” – typically a PLL circuit…. I pride myself for making very fine external clock circuitry, but no way can I make the external clock circuitry be as good as internal. Almost as good, yes, but never as good.

However, the clock BS’ers are still arguing that their external clock will improve the sound. There is some claim of a “proprietary clock signal” that will make things better. That is a crock if there ever was one!
From the Reaper forum here: http://forum.cockos.com/archive/index.php/t-19675.html and quoted here: https://gearspace.com/board/5037390-post20.html
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunjji ➡️
Anytime somebody asks if they need to upgrade their gear, somebody always mentions acoustic treatment. Tells you something, doesn't it?
Yep. They must not be mixing primarily on headphones.

fb
Old 30th September 2012 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
I disagree with Dan Lavry on Daisy chaining word clock. He is not Superman. His info is good, but there is always informed opinion on any topic and diagreeing with DL on smaller opinion issues doesn't mean that he is not generally right and an expert. It only means that he is an expert on converters, but not necessarily on recording workflow using converters. Full time engineers would know more about the most appropriate ways to run clocking situations in given situations.

No one is exempt from a differing opinion. i am almost positive that Dan Lavry has NOT externally clocked a MOTU 896 with a Big Ben. So he actually doesn't know, does he?

I think it is safe to say that he is generally correct. Stay on internal as long as you can. It's a good rule of thumb assuming that internal clocks will provide the most stable and precise digital situation.

There is no ALWAYS.
Old 16th January 2013
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Some people just prefer the sound of a more jittery signal. I prefer the more accurate focused sound of a converter using its own internal clock.
Old 16th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by quantummastering ➡️
Ok but are you slaving your soundcard with the AD's internal clock?
He has to, there is no other way. A device using its own clock is automatically the master for everything else.
📝 Reply