Quantcast
Best daw controller for 5000$? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Best daw controller for 5000$?
Old 19th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Best daw controller for 5000$?

We have decided to aim for a daw controller in our studio. We're running Logic 9, and Fireface UFX. We have a seperate control room and liveroom.
Since we only have a UA610 in addition to the 4 UFX mic-pres it would been nice to have the two superanalogue pres on the SSL Nucleus, but not absolute nescessary.

But.... Isn't there any competition in this price range?

I want the build quality, no noisy-accurate faders, like the SSL.
I've seen the MCU2 and the AVID mix series, but it seems like plastic in comparsion.

Thought for a second about a digital mixer...

Then I thought for another second about the Behringer X32, but after reading 10 posts regarding non-accurate faders, self noise - I concluded that behringer is still behringer..

Is SSL nucleus the only right way to go?
Old 19th September 2012
For strictly DAW controller you can't get better than Euphonix (the Avid staff that you mentioned). There are rugged like a tank with aluminum case.

Euphonix :: Artist Series

If you fancy some analog circuits SSL nucleus is a great great choice but a bit overpriced for my taste.
You should take a closer to look to Audient,

Audient ASP2802 Dual Layer Control console

You get controller, summing, faders, monitoring capabilities and some nice preamps.
Old 19th September 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
I use Novation SlMk II with automap. It controls my daw and my plugins. Cheap, and effective
Old 19th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
I'm looking for a new controller too, (had the Mcu) and been to demos of the ssl and Avid. The ssl Neuclus is a studio in a box, controller, preamps, soundcard, monitor section (no talkback), transport, controls multiple daws. Very smooth faders, nice layout and build quality.
The Avid Artist series are dedicated controllers, and a more modular system. You need two Artist Mix and one Transport to match the ssl, or one Control and one Mix. The Artist Control has got a touchscreen and many (macro) options. The Eucon protocol works great with Logic and you can configure it to control almost everything (midi-coffemaker?)
I think you can't go wrong with any of these.
You should choose a controller that makes your mouse jealous and makes you wanna shut down your computerscreen, so you need to find the workflow that fits your needs.
For me, I want the SSL , but I can start out with a Artist Mix, and grow from there.
Or maybe a Tango 2: www.smartav.net
Good hunting!
Old 19th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I've had the Nucleus for about a year now. I really like it. It feels much more substantial than the Avid controllers to me. The functionality is very configurable for pretty much any workflow. I use it with PT 10. And if it's important to your clients, it's an SSL! Check out the videos on line. You can certainly find it for less than 5k.
Old 19th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
thanks a lot for your answers.

Seems like it's Nucleus then...! And I've found it cheaper than 5k

A lot of new stuff on the way then!
just ordered my Roland TD30K drumkit and my New hackintosh ivy bridge has been setup.

SSL Nucleus, a Console desk - Maybe an Argosy, and a Brauner Phantom Classic mic is next on the list
I'm really looking forward to next year!
Old 19th September 2012
Lives for gear

Best DAW controller is probably this one:

V-Control Pro
Old 19th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Call_me_Switters ➑️
For strictly DAW controller you can't get better than Euphonix (the Avid staff that you mentioned). There are rugged like a tank with aluminum case.

Euphonix :: Artist Series
These are very plastic unfortunately.
Old 19th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
depends upon what you need. D8Bridge converts an old d8b to a 48 channel controller. D8Bridge video
Old 21st September 2012 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbackdoor ➑️
These are very plastic unfortunately.
Really?I don't own one, but I was considering grabbing one of them (but one is not enough) and I was pretty sure that for the asking bucks they were aluminum!What's wrong with today's manufacturers?
Thanks...
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] ➑️
depends upon what you need. D8Bridge converts an old d8b to a 48 channel controller. D8Bridge video
Not for Logic or Mac OSX.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Call_me_Switters ➑️
Really?I don't own one, but I was considering grabbing one of them (but one is not enough) and I was pretty sure that for the asking bucks they were aluminum!What's wrong with today's manufacturers?
Thanks...
I'm afraid so. I have one here, I put it back in it's box after 1 day. Not worth that kind of money, feels very toy like.
Old 21st September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Has anyone tried the new JL Cooper Eclipse stuff ? On the surface they look awesome and since they're "modular" you can expand and only buy the stuff you want. Want 24 faders ? No problem. Transport control/no Transport control ? No problem. Integrated trackball ? No problem ? It even has those screenkeys only found on the Euphonix System 5 (AFAIK).
Eclipse 24 Midnight.
Old 21st September 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Can't believe no one has mentioned the Focusrite controller...
Old 21st September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Mixed Logic M24 by far better than any mentioned goes for about $2700
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraku ➑️
Best DAW controller is probably this one:

V-Control Pro
Not for me. I need the feel and the haptics of real controllers, where you can feel the position without having to keep and eye on them and where you can just grap a fader and change it while moving on an already automated track. Also hard to extend, if you need more faders (buy additional iPads?)
I like the touch interfaces for their configurability and the cool looks, but only as an addition, they can't replace a surface with real faders.
Old 24th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
For your info!
Been a turnaround at this point.

"someone" up the system told me this about the SSL Nucleus:
They have few happy customers, They have little experience with Softwareprogramming - therefore their software is pretty bad, and they don't update it frequently. One of their customers bought an SSL and couldn't get it to work right with Logic. He claimed to SSL which responded with "if they get enough problems of this type - they might look at it"...since I'm a Logic user, I won't gamble on this on such a expensive unit - specially since my dealer don't recommend it.

They claimed that the Avid artist V2 versions were the real deal, and gave me a great offer on those.

Just bought an Argosy G20 Console for AVID artist series, and are going to buy the Control V2, Mix (possibly x2) and Transport controllers.

the price ended up being the same as just the nucleus alone.
πŸ“ Reply