Quantcast
Melodyne/AutoTune/VariAudio Which is better? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Melodyne/AutoTune/VariAudio Which is better?
Old 18th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Melodyne/AutoTune/VariAudio Which is better?

The title is pretty self explanitory. Just wanted to get a discussion going about pitch correction software.
What are the pros and cons of each? Which of the three do you think is the overall best?
Is there other software out there that can hold its own against these three but maybe isnt as well known?

Cant wait to hear what you guys have to say
Old 19th September 2012
Deleted d44e7f2
to me Auto Tune is more of a set it and leave it kind of pitch correction where you can put it on the track and be done in most cases. Works well for time crunch situations and such.

Melodyne is what you use when you want to be very hands on and make sure every note is accurate. Its user interface is more user friendly for that type of application compared to Auto Tune IMO.

As far as which sounds better? I find that Melodyne sounds better with less tweaking. Auto Tune requires a few knobs to be moved so it sounds natural.
Old 19th September 2012 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted d44e7f2 ➡️
to me Auto Tune is more of a set it and leave it kind of pitch correction where you can put it on the track and be done in most cases.
This almost never works.
Using autotune in graphical mode is the only way.
If you know what you are doing it's 100% transparent.
Something that is simply not possible with melodyne.
Antares algorithms are far more refined and sophisticated.
for example micro-tuning is not possible in Melodyne - this is so important to a natural sounding vocal that does NOT sound 'tuned up'
Old 19th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
You can micro tune Melodyne by holding down the command key. I gave both and use auto tune in auto mode. I don't have the last version of auto tune with the graphical editor improvements. I think they're pretty similar now except, and this is a big except: Melodyne can do polyphonic pitch correction which is pretty insane! And yes, it works. I've changed individual notes in piano and guitar audio tracks no problem.
Deleted d44e7f2
Quote:
Originally Posted by passmore ➡️
This almost never works.
Using autotune in graphical mode is the only way.
If you know what you are doing it's 100% transparent.
Something that is simply not possible with melodyne.
Antares algorithms are far more refined and sophisticated.
for example micro-tuning is not possible in Melodyne - this is so important to a natural sounding vocal that does NOT sound 'tuned up'
It works perfectly fine in auto mode if you tweak it a bit. The graphical mode for Melodyne is more user friendly to me and that's just my opinion. As far as a vocal sounding "tuned up" I've never had that issue with Melodyne. Then again most of the singers I've worked with can actually sing so I'm not trying to polish turds.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Try mixing lead vocals, one with Melodyne and one with Autotune. The Melodyne track always seems to be a bit 'hollow-sounding' to me. I'd rather mix the AT track but with some singers, only Melodyne can them into an acceptable level so...... All IMHO.
Old 19th September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Melodyne is great. There is also WaveTune, decent.

I have AutoTune7 because it has "live" mode which is good for "rough mix" and vocal comps.

I put it in when the singer finishes his takes and then when we made the comp and I'm ready for the mix I switch to the graphical mode to tune everything right.
Old 19th September 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Check out the tutorial videos for Melodyne... I really don't think there is anything comparable on the market. I always A/B the Melodyne track with the original and have never found it hollow sounding, that's not to say the that the MPCist is wrong though just my experience with Melodyne.
Old 19th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I tried AutoTune 7 but as its a 32 bit application it wouldn't work with my Win 7 64 bit and Sonar X1 64 bit DAW. Autotune finally gave me a refund as their "fix" was for me to install Sonar X1 32 bit so I could use Autotune.

I have Melodyne Essentials as I got it at a "promotional" price. I've used it but I've also used the VVocal in Sonar and they both seem to do about the same on a clip that needs correction.
Old 19th September 2012
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Hi,

I have Melodyne, Waves Tune, and Autotune 7. In my opinion Autotune is best applied in automatic mode on rough mixes. Waves Tune is best applied when you use it as an audiosuite plug-in to tune just a couple phrases in a track. But when I'm really serious about tuning a track and tweaking the details. Melodyne has no equal. The interface is intuitive, and I love the fact that you can tune things just a little bit and use your ear. The only bummer is that the program takes ownership of the file after it reads it in, and stores it in its own location. This means that you can even mute the audio from the track in ProTools and it will continue to play back from its own Melodyne file location. This is very disconcerting until you figure it out. So you have to change your workflow, and make sure that you record the resultant tuning to a fresh track when you are done.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Russell ➡️
he only bummer is that the program takes ownership of the file after it reads it in, and stores it in its own location. This means that you can even mute the audio from the track in ProTools and it will continue to play back from its own Melodyne file location. This is very disconcerting until you figure it out. So you have to change your workflow, and make sure that you record the resultant tuning to a fresh track when you are done.
I use Melodyne as the default sample editor in Ableton Live. When used that way, it saves the tuned output under the original sample name/location and the original sample is saved under a different name. No need to re-record anything. Guess flow in PT is different.

It can also be used as a real time plug in, but it is CPU hungry.

Never used Antares, does it let you shift the timing and length of notes as well as pitch? Melodyne does so you can clean up the take in one tool rather than doing pitch in one tool and timing in another.

The polyphonic correction is insane, I love it. Fixes up slightly out of tune guitars and pianos. Awesome on fretless strings, a real take saver there.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by enossified ➡️
The polyphonic correction is insane, I love it. Fixes up slightly out of tune guitars and pianos. Awesome on fretless strings, a real take saver there.
I agree. I was mixing a live track recently with a sax that was somewhat out of tune - just enough to be annoying, so I corrected the sax. Since it was a live show being recorded, they had crowd mics as well so the uncorrected sax in the natural room reverb was creating chorusing with the corrected sax! With the polyphonic algorithm, I was able to correct the sax in the room reverb / crowd mics as well to stop the chorusing. Blows me away.

Regards,
Frank
📝 Reply