Quantcast
Distortion problem with M-Audio Mobile Pre Interface HELP!! - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Distortion problem with M-Audio Mobile Pre Interface HELP!!
Old 18th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Distortion problem with M-Audio Mobile Pre Interface HELP!!

I have an M-Audio Mobile Pre external usb audio interface.

It's been set at 16bit (maximum), 44.1kHz (goes up to 48kHz), and 256 samples since the day I installed it and its been working great.

Now I'm try to do some recording which I needed at 48kHz for a video. So I change the sample rate to 48Khz and reboot just to be safe. Everything sounds distorted, like a darlik of Dr Who saying "exterminate". Everything from MP3s to 48kHz WAV recordings. I've tried every single buffer size from 128 to 4096 and they ALL sound like they're distorting really badly. Change back to 44.1 256 and it's fine!

Anyone know how to fix this? such a pain :(
Old 18th September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
what program are you using?
Old 18th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Goodman ➑️
what program are you using?
Pre Sonus Studio One Professional. But it shouldn't matter what program I'm using as it affects system sounds, MP3s in VLC player, everything! :s
Old 18th September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
im just confused. Where are you changing the bit/sample rate then? There are no settings like that on the M-Audio. In fact, I just read that it always processes incoming signal at 24bit/48kHz rate.
Old 19th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Goodman ➑️
im just confused. Where are you changing the bit/sample rate then? There are no settings like that on the M-Audio. In fact, I just read that it always processes incoming signal at 24bit/48kHz rate.
Oh sorry I mis-understood, there's a driver for the interface which you download and install from the AVID website. It juts adds a page to control panel where you can change input levels, SR, and latency via a grey pop up box.

Last edited by JamesClark1991; 19th September 2012 at 02:33 AM.. Reason: .
Old 19th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Anyone? really need to get some recording done before next week :s
Old 21st September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Anyone at all?? :L
Old 22nd November 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Same problem!

Hi,

Did you solve your problem?

I get the same daleks type sound when I use anything below 256 samples on Pro Tools. I used to use it on my old computer on XP, with an older PT and older audio interface (mbox 1) at 128 samples with no problem.

But now I have a super fast i7 laptop with loads of RAM, an SSD C drive, and a fast USB external drive to record and playback from, with windows 7, and a MobilePre and now I get that noise at 128 samples. If I switch to 256 then it is fine. I am using it at 48khz too.. but it hasn't occurred to me to try changing to 44khz, so i will try that tonight.

cheers
Old 24th November 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgerob ➑️
Hi,

Did you solve your problem?

I get the same daleks type sound when I use anything below 256 samples on Pro Tools. I used to use it on my old computer on XP, with an older PT and older audio interface (mbox 1) at 128 samples with no problem.

But now I have a super fast i7 laptop with loads of RAM, an SSD C drive, and a fast USB external drive to record and playback from, with windows 7, and a MobilePre and now I get that noise at 128 samples. If I switch to 256 then it is fine. I am using it at 48khz too.. but it hasn't occurred to me to try changing to 44khz, so i will try that tonight.

cheers

I couldn't find a fix for it sorry man, I had to sell it in the end to someone who owned a MAC.

Mine only worked at 44.1, 256 samples. NOTHING else worked without distortion. It must have been the drivers causing the problem, Windows 7 should not have been qualified by M-Audio on this one as it simply didn't work.

I bought a Focusrite 2i2 in the end to replace it, it's lovely looking but it could do with some more gain on the pre-amps just like the Mobile Pre.

Hope this clears things up a bit.
πŸ“ Reply