Cubase is pure WIN!!
80 Votes - 80.00%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2nd November 2012 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLiRD808 ➑️
Cubase has all those gain stage capabilities except for.....trim automation & VCA I'm thinking? I've never had to automate trim before with all the other places to automate gain, however.
Trim Automation doesn't automate what is referred to as the Input Trim in Cubase. It is another layer of (Volume) Automation. This is very useful for when you for instance have precise detailed volume automation that you want to keep (like the de-esser example mentioned before) but want to modify overall levels in broad strokes: Switch to Trim Automation mode and do a new automation pass (if you are using a control surface) or select a section and pull it up/down with the mouse. You can then leave this as Trim Automation or you can apply the Trim Automation to the existing (Volume) Automation (and do another Trim pass etc). So basically, you are trimming the previous automation pass.

Alistair
Old 2nd November 2012
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
i was suprised speaking with a student that saw my video (see link after post) on gainstaging that they doesn't have this on PT : an input gain knob on the channel itself ...so i told him to use some like "stereo channel, a free plugin" or some like "satson (sonimus)" ....maybe PT have one but he didn't found it ? (you guyz can enlight me on this one )

Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeezo ➑️
i was suprised speaking with a student that saw my video (see link after post) on gainstaging that they doesn't have this on PT : an input gain knob on the channel itself ...so i told him to use some like "stereo channel, a free plugin" or some like "satson (sonimus)" ....maybe PT have one but he didn't found it ? (you guyz can enlight me on this one )
You are correct. There is no Input Gain in PT. There is a "Trim" plugin but obviously that isn't as nice as having Input Gain on every channel.

Alistair
Old 2nd November 2012
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Thks for the info ....it alwayz surpised me how some feature that all daw have since decades aren't present in PT !! but it can be explained by how PT was used (with external summing and treatment ...)
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Been following this and I just wanted to note that Nuendo 5.55 has trim automation as well. Not sure about Cubase but I would guess its there or coming soon.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotundness ➑️
Been following this and I just wanted to note that Nuendo 5.55 has trim automation as well. Not sure about Cubase but I would guess its there or coming soon.
It has Trim Automation. Maybe 40-50% of the stuff random people on GS claim DAW X, Y or Z doesn't have, they do have.

It's usually not anything intentional at all, they just don't actually use the applications being discussed, or haven't used them in years, so they get lots of stuff wrong.

Cubase has had trim automation at least since Cubase SX, maybe before that, quite a few years back. Not sure how anyone who's ever actually used the app could miss it.
Old 3rd November 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence ➑️
Not sure how anyone who's ever actually used the app could miss it.
I've become fairly convinced that 90% of the people who comment on Gearslutz have never used the gear they comment on. If one was to go by Gearslutz comments you would think that there was a vintage Neve 8068 on every street that every kid has recorded on.

Pose on...
Old 3rd November 2012
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Empire Prod ➑️
I've become fairly convinced that 90% of the people who comment on Gearslutz have never used the gear they comment on. If one was to go by Gearslutz comments you would think that there was a vintage Neve 8068 on every street that every kid has recorded on.

Pose on...
I think thats ridiculous...but then again, I was a WWII ace fighter pilot who got shot down over Beirut during the Tet Offensive.
Old 3rd November 2012

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderTow ➑️
You can do the same thing with Clip Gain in PT:

This is Clip Gain automation, not Volume automation. Just CTRL click and it adds automation points.

Alistair
Thank you for that! You're only the 2nd person this year to show me something new in PT....!
Old 3rd November 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightshifter ➑️

Many people say that Pro Tools is therefore better for editing audio, but even that’s not my experience. In my experience Cubase, and Nuendo, which has the same audio engine, are superior in terms of audio editing. I love the two extra gain stages, in addition to regular volume automation, in Cubase, which allow me to draw levels directly on the waveform. As I explained, I use it for example for de-essing. The audio engine itself is also absolutely phenomenal.

I have cubase 6.5,protools 8 and logic 9,I know pt 10 has a lot more than v8.but I'm work very well in cubase.

Everyone that come to my studio are convinced they want cubase.

Mainly because I can do everything in cubase that I can do in protools.its like oh,I thought these things could only be done in PROTOOLS(then I LOL).

My whole set up amaze them!

Cubase 6.5,uad Plugins and komplete ultimate 8.

The cherry on top is when I batch the entire 1.4 gig session in 2 minutes,straight to a flash drive,DONE.

Sent from my PC36100
Old 5th November 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Loving Cubase 6.5

Sent from my GT-I9100P
Old 5th November 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Empire Prod ➑️
I've become fairly convinced that 90% of the people who comment on Gearslutz have never used the gear they comment on.
HAHA!! nice! heh
Old 23rd December 2012 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Always something new

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_R_S ➑️
I can't use cubase with my Icon...

Cubase offers nothing an Icon ....
Yamaha Nuage cured my ICON envy
NUAGE | DAW Systems | Products | Yamaha

The Euphonix hardware also worked very well with the Cubase and Nuendo products.

The old O2R boards were nothing to sneeze at either, the thing of it is there has almost alaways been highly compatible highend boards and I/O solutions that worked just fine with a number of DAWs.

I was hardcore Cubase since SX2 and refused to buy into Pro Tools until version 8 and now use Pro Tools 9 and Cubase 6.5 (about to get Cubase 7, passing on PT10) in a commercial setup. PT was only added to my setup for marketing reasons and not for any lack of functionality in Cubase. I get request for PT from folks who have no clue of what any other platform can due and they're simply sold on PT for reasons beyond their recording comprehension. Like another poster here I have clients shocked by the ease at which I accomplish in Cubase what they have been mislead to think can only happen in PT. I still get a client on occasion that will insist on PT and I cater to that request but, funny thing is they don't even request or care for the PT session data all they want is the final 2 track...go figure.

Last edited by sdialect; 23rd December 2012 at 05:45 AM.. Reason: More info to add
Old 23rd December 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Can some folks discuss what AD they are using with Cubase? Thx
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
ProTools 10 vs Cubase 6.5

who's winning?

and also, what do you GET when you win?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq ➑️
who's winning?

and also, what do you GET when you win?
Well sir cubase seems to be winning the poll. And the winning prize, is a beautiful patch of brown carpet from toilet in abbey road dated 1973. courtesy of major tom.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Realziment ➑️
Well sir cubase seems to be winning the poll. And the winning prize, is a beautiful patch of brown carpet from toilet in abbey road dated 1973. courtesy of major tom.
Steinberg can put it into the trophy case with all the others.
Old 23rd December 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Cubase 6.5 on Mac user here.
Can some folks point our what AD they use/recommend with Cubase?
Also, any thoughts on other pros besides Hans Zimmer using Cubase?
Old 23rd December 2012
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ1973 ➑️
Can some folks point our what AD they use/recommend with Cubase?
I'm on Prism but the gold standard for drivers and efficiency (in any DAW) is RME.

Alistair
Old 23rd December 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
IMHO, Cubase 7 has more features, but PT10 blows it away for workflow efficiency. I just find it takes longer to do common tasks in Cubase than in PT / Logic / S1. Plus, PT10 looks nicer to me.
πŸ“ Reply