Cubase is pure WIN!!
80 Votes - 80.00%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Old 26th October 2012
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLiRD808 ➡️

Are there 3 key points that make PT superior at mixing than C6.5?
- Much more advanced automation
- VCA's
- Mix(/Edit) groups
- Trim automation
- Better mixer (and I/O, sends, inserts view in edit window)
- Better control surface integration

Alistair
Old 26th October 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I'm on C6.5 & PT10....but just learning PT10. Can u elaborate on this? How is PT better for mixing than C6.5 and how is it the "engineers dream"?

I hope I dont sound antagonistic...I really would just like to know the differences

Are there 3 key points that make PT superior at mixing than C6.5?

THANKS!!!
It is used by most of the high end professional mixing engineers. Tell them you did a session on cubase and they say "cool, send me the Wav files". Most audio schools teach Protools, so most mixing guys would have nightmares if one gives a Cubase session to them.
With workflow....well I wont go into the detailed specifics and Cubase has certainly caught up, but PT has always been an audio engine whilst Cubase went from midi to Audio.

Bottom line is...it's a mixing engineers dream because you get most amount of industry paid work if you know how to mix well in protools than the other way around. One also gets to be associated with some of the top mixing engineer teams.
Trust me, as a Cubase die hard myself, I don't like it but that's the nature of the game.
Old 26th October 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Maybe for them, but I use 6 and feel its better for mixing simply because I know it.... It boils down to what is comfortable for you... That is me beating a dead horse!
Old 26th October 2012 | Show parent
kdp
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ1973 ➡️
It is used by most of the high end professional mixing engineers. Tell them you did a session on cubase and they say "cool, send me the Wav files". Most audio schools teach Protools, so most mixing guys would have nightmares if one gives a Cubase session to them.
With workflow....well I wont go into the detailed specifics and Cubase has certainly caught up, but PT has always been an audio engine whilst Cubase went from midi to Audio.

Bottom line is...it's a mixing engineers dream because you get most amount of industry paid work if you know how to mix well in protools than the other way around. One also gets to be associated with some of the top mixing engineer teams.
Trust me, as a Cubase die hard myself, I don't like it but that's the nature of the game.
Old 1st November 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdp ➡️
Nice! You can read but can't write?
Old 1st November 2012
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I went BACK to C6.5 after a tortuous 6 weeks just trying to get PT10 to work (and then try to learn it once I did get it to work).

While others have said that you may start to notice C6.5's flaws after stepping into another DAW for a short period (and I was expecting SOME of that), I nearly blew my load at our reunion lol. I fell right back into a groove, my subconcious recalled all the hotkeys I had set. Even if there was a hang-up or two transitioning BACK, the soothing blue background would calm my nerves lol. Honestly, I dont even know why PT cant put a small effort into making its interfaces LOOK better. It goes quite a ways. I feel like I'm on a 90's Netscape website when Im in PT.

The ONLY thing I liked in PT10 over C6.5.....bounce to iTunes. I'm thinking Cubase will have that eventually as u can already upload to Soundcloud.

What I hate most about PT...cant set you're own hotkeys. I think that's ridiculous >:(
Old 2nd November 2012 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mixedup ➡️
Got both here, using RME FF800 interface on Win 7 64-bit...

PT9 was really stable on my system. PT10 isn't - lots of digital pops and glitches. Lots of plug-ins causing it to hang. Not seen too many others reporting this, but worth being aware.

Cubase 5 and 6 were a bit buggy, but Cubase 6.5 is nice and stable. Just try to avoid closing the project using the little cross in the top right of you window, as that seems to make it hang — use the menu instead and you're fine. It's really looking like a nice DAW now.

Got Reaper on there, too. Well worth looking at, though for me it's still a bit buggy for big mix projects. Can't abide any of the GUIs either - even the PT or Cubendo-alike skins! A fine tracking system, though.

Also tried Studio One. Really nice, really stable — but the editing functions (particularly grouping fades etc) are a bit lacking for me.

Also worth looking at, depending on what you want to do, are Samplitude, and SADiE native.

Same experience here (Sonar X1 user here) ..tried PT 10 , i couldn't believe what is expreienced specailly when big engineer keeps make endorsment marketing videos on it ...like t"his sound sbetter , more stable ..blabla ..." sure they din't tested or at least on windows...
Old 2nd November 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
I can't use cubase with my Icon...

Cubase offers nothing an Icon ....
Old 2nd November 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
As long as Yamaha continues to sell Motorbikes and boat engines, Cubase has a big brother to take care of it..lol..
Old 2nd November 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I have Pro Tools 9 and Cubase 4 or 5. But my custom built quadcore desktop with XP (left it back in 2009 before I upgraded to Win7) was left back in the states before I bought Pro Tools and the Mbox Pro 3. I'm really missing my desktop because Pro Tools brings my Samsung dualcore laptop to its knees when I am working with vst synths.

Luckily I bought a Virus KB in Korea and it does better with audio from it (or Reason Rewired). It could be Windows 7 (I didn't do a clean install of Win 7 Ultimate K 64 bit, aka Win 7 Ultimate Korean with English Language Pack installed by me because it came with Win 7 Premium which can't use any language packs, before installing Pro Tools. I didn't feel like guessing which Korean options did what a 2nd time around) or my laptop (Thinkpads had a too high import tax in Korea).
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by djloekee27 ➡️
I have Pro Tools 9 and Cubase 4 or 5. But my custom built quadcore desktop was left back in the states before I bought Pro Tools and the Mbox Pro 3. I'm really missing my desktop because Pro Tools brings my Samsung dualcore laptop to its knees when I am working with vst synths. Luckily I bought a Virus KB in Korea and it does better with audio from it (or Reason Rewired). It could be Windows 7 (I didn't do a clean install of Win7 Ultimate K aka Korean before installing Pro Tools) or my laptop (Thinkpads had a too high import tax in Korea).

Lol are u comparing desktops to laptops, quad-cores to dual-cores, or PT to Cubase (4 OR 5) LOL?
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:

Lol are u comparing desktops to laptops, quad-cores to dual-cores, or PT to Cubase (4 OR 5) LOL?
Sorry, it's just my little rant on how Pro Tools brings my laptop to my knees and my laptop is all that I have in Korea. Some days, I contemplate whether or not I should bring my desktop to Korea when I visit home next Jan. or Feb. or if I should just go to Yongsan electronics market again and have them build me a quadcore desktop.

The only downside to Yongsan is that Korea has ridiculous import taxes on all imports, even Korean products by Korean companies made in China. And the downside to bringing my desktop to Korea is carrying the box from Incheon International Airport to Seoul on the bus/subway and then getting in a bus, subway or taxi to take it home.
Old 2nd November 2012
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
loekee be sure to have te right metodhology ...when you rpoduce your produce, when you mix you mix (no more vsti's ) only audio ...

i see too much people having a very bad metholgy stal$king plugins all other the place early in the prod process ...also use plugins that are light on cpu (waves are great for that , sll duende also)

a core 2 duo is enought just use it well ...my old core 2 duo HP8710w can run 600 tracks at 512 samples but i'm using Sonar not PT , RME fireface 400 win XP ...so a lot of parametter (dpc latency was 35 us !!)
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Since we are bragging here.
Sorry I can run 768 Tracks on my HDX 3 system here no problem. Zero CPU stress as HDX is a hardware based system.
and can guarantee that my Pro Tools studio will make me more cash that cubase rig.
Sure HDX is more money than cubase but my facility invoices out 150K+/ month to our clients - so HDX cost is non issue.
and you'r not going to find Cubase in any high end studio - at least not the ones I work in.
Old 2nd November 2012
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Good point my friend , and when i expalin to studnets that osx sucks ( giving proof and measurement) when it come to system latency (dpc latency ) , they act like but we see it on all studios and then i can explain how PT is supposed tio be used : DSP based , digital signal processor that re not poluated by osx bull**** process ....and they start to understand that dsp are not only here for power ....no matter what osx tyrex or crocodile will come , you will have the same experience ....(compatibily is another story)

so cool for you , your x thousand dollar system is on pair with my T7700 core 2 duo

joking ..here

the girl is using a lappy , it's another story , at that time to be sure to not taxe that lappy , i went duende mini maxed out : excellelent !!
Old 2nd November 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
PT 10 for me. That plus Vienna Ensemble Pro on a Mac was much better in all respects than Cubase 6.5 for me. I didn't gel with Cubase's interface or workflow. I use Logic and PT together these days.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeezo ➡️
loekee be sure to have te right metodhology ...when you rpoduce your produce, when you mix you mix (no more vsti's ) only audio ...

i see too much people having a very bad metholgy stal$king plugins all other the place early in the prod process ...also use plugins that are light on cpu (waves are great for that , sll duende also)

a core 2 duo is enought just use it well ...my old core 2 duo HP8710w can run 600 tracks at 512 samples but i'm using Sonar not PT , RME fireface 400 win XP ...so a lot of parametter (dpc latency was 35 us !!)
Ok, maybe I am doing something wrong with my latest beat. I made the drums using Pro Tools Boom and recorded the audio for the melody, rhythm and chorus from my Virus except for my rhythm I made using a Piano VST.

But when I tried to record the drums from Boom one at a time onto separate audio tracks, the first two times I soloed the track and bussed them to an audio track it went fine. But the 3rd time Pro Tools froze.

Maybe I should just make my audio tracks inactive. I think I already made the metronome plugin inactive. And I'm sure the Piano VST is inactive because I already bussed the midi to an audio track.

Either that or it's a Win7 error and I need to reinstall Win7 and hope I don't chose the wrong options on the Korean only menus.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by passmore ➡️
Since we are bragging here.
Sorry I can run 768 Tracks on my HDX 3 system here no problem.
I can run 1000 stereo tracks at 96Khz on my Cubase rig no problem. There is not a PT rig on earth at any price that can match that. Thanks for playing, better luck next time.

Quote:
and can guarantee that my Pro Tools studio will make me more cash that cubase rig.
That is a rather silly comment. You have no idea what people charge or do with their rigs or whether making money is even relevant to the OP. (I am not arguing about making money with PT as I use PT for most of my commercial jobs. I am arguing about the relevance of your comment in this thread).

Quote:
and you'r not going to find Cubase in any high end studio - at least not the ones I work in.
Utterly irrelevant to a discussion on performance or even suitability of a DAW for a particular purpose. Why is it that people always just argue from their own very small and limited perspective? To me it just shows narrow mindedness and a complete lack of imagination. Can you really not see that for certain purposes and certain people a PT rig (HDX or not) is not the right solution?

Alistair
Old 2nd November 2012
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
It depends what style of music one makes. For many electronic genres, the sound is part of the production. For that kind of music mixing and producing are one and the same thing.

The solution when running out of resources is then of course to bounce things...

Alistair
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ1973 ➡️
As long as Yamaha continues to sell Motorbikes and boat engines, Cubase has a big brother to take care of it..lol..

Yamaha was established in 1887 as a piano and reed organ manufacturer by Torakusu Yamaha.
And Yamaha has grown to become the world's largest manufacturer of musical instruments (including pianos, "silent" pianos, drums, guitars, brass instruments, woodwinds, violins, violas, celli, vibraphones and synthesizers (DX7, CS80, SY77/99, VL1, VP1, Motif, etc.)
Other companies in the Yamaha group include: "Boesendorfer Pianos" Klavierfabrik GmbH (Vienna, Austria) or Yamaha Pro Audio, e.g.

Yamaha Pro Audio, Inc. is a company that offers a complete line of professional audio products for the live sound and sound reinforcement markets. It has a long history of introducing significant products for the professional audio market. (PA, Live mixers, HiFi products etc.)

Yamaha Corporation is also widely known for their music teaching programme that began in the 1950s...

And Yamaha acquired German audio software manufacturers Steinberg in January 2005.

Old 2nd November 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Jochem van der Saag (Seal, David Foster, Michael Buble, Whitney Houston, Katherine Jenkins, Celine Dion, Destiny's Child, Mary J Blige, Faith Hill, Brian McKnight, Will Downing, Phil Perry, Patti Austin, Dave Grusin, Donnie McClurkin, David Cavazos, Brenda Russell etc.)

“Having had extensive experience with Pro Tools, I still prefer Cubase as a music production and arranging tool. I suppose it stems from the fact that Cubase, Logic, Digital Performer and so on originated from a composer/arranger point of view, whereas Pro Tools originated as a direct emulation of the multitrack tape machine.

Many people say that Pro Tools is therefore better for editing audio, but even that’s not my experience. In my experience Cubase, and Nuendo, which has the same audio engine, are superior in terms of audio editing. I love the two extra gain stages, in addition to regular volume automation, in Cubase, which allow me to draw levels directly on the waveform. As I explained, I use it for example for de-essing. The audio engine itself is also absolutely phenomenal.

Another thing that I really like about Cubase is that the Steinberg VST platform is open, so everyone has the freedom to go and develop plug-ins. I also prefer Cubase’s more extensive MIDI implementation, and that fact that you don’t have to worry about mono or stereo tracks (which is a pain in the ass in Pro Tools, I think). As a result of the unlimited track function you don’t have to worry about track count in Cubase."

The rest of the very nice and interesting interview...

Secrets Of The Mix Engineers: Jochem van der Saag

Old 2nd November 2012
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Clip gain has now been added to PT which means it has more levels of gain staging than Cubase (Clip gains, Volume automation, extensive Trim automation, VCA's, Auxes, Master faders...) Otherwise I agree with the above quote.

Horses for courses...

Alistair
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderTow ➡️
Clip gain has now been added to PT which means it has more levels of gain staging than Cubase (Clip gains, Volume automation, extensive Trim automation, VCA's, Auxes, Master faders...) Otherwise I agree with the above quote.
yes, true, but PT´s Clip Gain is not as comfortable and fast as in Cubase. (except VCA´s, Auxes, you´re right)
Cubase´s special Event Envelopes, as an separate "under-under-Volume Automation", can be created by clicking with the pencil tool on the audio Event. Nice and powerful, not only for De-essing, I think.

Envelope Events enable you to create volume data tied to specific audio Events before the audio is output through an audio channel.
With each drawing the waveform visually refreshes.
Old 2nd November 2012
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Cubase has all those gain stage capabilities except for.....trim automation & VCA I'm thinking? I've never had to automate trim before with all the other places to automate gain, however.

BTW....thanks for that Nightshifter!! Totally agree with a lot of that and feel good seeing other BIG SHOTS vouch for Cubase
Old 2nd November 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
yes, I suspect that many Cubase users do not know these Envelope Events...

I've used many years Pro Tools (HD2 with Pro Control+Fader Expansions), and I know PT 9.x very well.
But I must say in this comparison that Cubase is king in so many areas. (ok, except OneViewMixer, channel´s groupings/routings, VCA´s..bla bla..)
But hey! Cubase 7 is on the way...
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderTow ➡️
It depends what style of music one makes. For many electronic genres, the sound is part of the production. For that kind of music mixing and producing are one and the same thing.

The solution when running out of resources is then of course to bounce things...

Alistair
Undertow , this is the issue ....people , because they can rarally reach the mixing stage after having consolidated all audio ....why ? because they're afraid to do so .....poepl who have learn the old school way like me (used four track recorder) had to make decisions !!! so ressources issue , dropout , stability issues , ect ...are what i see mainly ....

People , even if you have the power , keep a good metholody and respect stuff ....it will also forces you to say , ok this track is done ....and force you to finsih tracks (witch is another consequence i see often)

The DAW debate then , is also irrelevent unless we got techincal and talk summing engine , audio engine and PDC (plugin delay compensation) , internal resolution ect .....

Judging a Daw by its "popularity" in studios is just STUPID and a missundersanding of situations ....also 80% of enginneers in big studios don't know a thing in deep about daws ...they just use what they're used to or what they learned on, witch was at a time PT ....now check new modern studios , and you will see PT (as a classic way to provide the offer if needed) but i saw a lot now : Nuendo , Sonar , Pyramix (mainly on mastering studios ) ect ....
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I've been on Cubase for a number of years and 6.5 just rocks. Yes there's things that could be better and it will be interesting as to what Steinberg brings to the table in V7 but for my needs it just works and doesn't leave me too wanting.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Judging a Daw by its "popularity" in studios is just STUPID and a missundersanding of situations ....also 80% of enginneers in big studios don't know a thing in deep about daws...
...they just use what they're used to or what they learned on, witch was at a time PT ....now check new modern studios , and you will see PT (as a classic way to provide the offer if needed) but i saw a lot now : Nuendo , Sonar , Pyramix (mainly on mastering studios ) ect ....
+ 1, nice and correct statement, Jeezo.

BTW: Avid´s Pro Tools sales are not "nearly" the same as other DAW manufacturers - there are million times more users of Cubase, Sonar, Logic, Reaper, Studioone, AbletonLive, etc. Remember: many users of them have also very very much success...
Old 2nd November 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightshifter ➡️

Yamaha was established in 1887 as a piano and reed organ manufacturer by Torakusu Yamaha.
And Yamaha has grown to become the world's largest manufacturer of musical instruments (including pianos, "silent" pianos, drums, guitars, brass instruments, woodwinds, violins, violas, celli, vibraphones and synthesizers (DX7, CS80, SY77/99, VL1, VP1, Motif, etc.)
Other companies in the Yamaha group include: "Boesendorfer Pianos" Klavierfabrik GmbH (Vienna, Austria) or Yamaha Pro Audio, e.g.

Yamaha Pro Audio, Inc. is a company that offers a complete line of professional audio products for the live sound and sound reinforcement markets. It has a long history of introducing significant products for the professional audio market. (PA, Live mixers, HiFi products etc.)

Yamaha Corporation is also widely known for their music teaching programme that began in the 1950s...

And Yamaha acquired German audio software manufacturers Steinberg in January 2005.

Great points...I was being funny..I know about Yamaha too. I use a crap load of Yamaha myself. Let's add to your list two of the biggest Yamahas...02R and NS10..
My whole point was Yamaha is so darn big Cubase is sticking around for a long time and at some point it will be the classroom standard software for music production lessons, by which time those kids would have grown up with Cubase that PT just may become a thing of the past in 5-10 years unless PT really get there game together.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightshifter ➡️
yes, true, but PT´s Clip Gain is not as comfortable and fast as in Cubase. (except VCA´s, Auxes, you´re right)
Cubase´s special Event Envelopes, as an separate "under-under-Volume Automation", can be created by clicking with the pencil tool on the audio Event. Nice and powerful, not only for De-essing, I think.

Envelope Events enable you to create volume data tied to specific audio Events before the audio is output through an audio channel.
With each drawing the waveform visually refreshes.
You can do the same thing with Clip Gain in PT:

This is Clip Gain automation, not Volume automation. Just CTRL click and it adds automation points.

Alistair
📝 Reply