Quantcast
How to move forward with my DAW issues - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
How to move forward with my DAW issues
Old 18th September 2012
Gear Addict

๐ŸŽง 15 years
How to move forward with my DAW issues

I have been struggling with a recent PC upgrade in my studio.

It all started when I got the UAD upgrade offer as I was still on UAD-1. This led to the need for PCI-E which in turn was the catalyst for the full PC upgrade.

I got an AsRock Z68 chip-set motherboard that turns out does not play well with my old PCI M Audio cards. I figured PCI was on the way out and made the decision to upgrade the sound cards instead of change motherboards.. I had been considering the A&H ZED R-16 firewire desk for a while and got one to replace my M Audio PCI cards. Now the ZED is problematic.. When I press spacebar for playback, it takes at good 5 seconds for the audio to respond. When I use a plugin, it will be a good 20 to 30 seconds before I hear the result of what I just changed.

This has led me to a suggestion that the VIA fire-wire chip-set on my motherboard could be the issue (but I have also read how this is a problem of yesteryear and my VIA chipset should be fine). I could buy a card and disable the onboard.. but there is the problem. I have used all the "small" PCI-E slots on my 2 UAD cards. I could get a PCI card .. BUT .. Z68 motherboards (mine) support PCI bus through some sort of software emulation. It works, but not always reliably, as I found out with my sound cards. So will I just be putting a PCI firewire into the same problem?

Thanks for any info...

Thread showing 1st issue with PCI sound cards

What happens with the ZED

Another dodgy fire wire issue
Old 18th September 2012
Gear Addict

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Today a new issue. I have a Focusrite Saffire Pro 26 i/o firewire device. IAs the ZED R16 has no midi I attempted to daisy chain the Saffire into the ZED just to have a MIDI port in a session. This crashes the ZED - no longer can bring up the user interface until reboot.

I think this Asrock board is the problem, so I may just start asking what is the best motherboard that supports Ivy CPU, has at least 2 PCIE and a Texas Instruments FW chipset?
Old 19th September 2012
Gear Addict

๐ŸŽง 15 years
BUMP?

I am not going to troubleshoot my current setup, I will just get another motherboard.. there are some other issues that are annoying me with the AsRock.. (USB flaky, drops one of my Sata drives every 5 or so boots, eSata port does not work, onboard video is flickering)

Can anyone suggest a Socket 1156 motherboard that will be a good selection for an Allen & Heath ZED R-16? With at least 3 PCIe slots (I have 2 UAD PCIe)
๐Ÿ“ Reply