Quantcast
Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 volume issue - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 volume issue
Old 18th September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 volume issue

So I upgraded to a Scarlett 2i2 from a MobilePre today (Thank God). I am noticing an issue in the volume though. The left channel's volume seems much stronger than the right channel's. Has anyone else with one of these noticed this? I really noticed at low volume, the volume dies out in the right channel as the left channel still has decent volume. Am I just crazy or are others noticing these issues with volume. Maybe a bad unit? P.S. - Its not the cables.
Old 18th September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
There is a switch below the xlr input labeled line/instrument. Instrument makes the channel significantly louder. If this isn't the problem make sure your levels in your daw are =. If this is not the problem you probably have a faulty unit.
Old 18th September 2012 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinpeaks ➑️
There is a switch below the xlr input labeled line/instrument. Instrument makes the channel significantly louder. If this isn't the problem make sure your levels in your daw are =. If this is not the problem you probably have a faulty unit.
It's doing it during simple playback from iTunes. Probably a bad unit.
Old 18th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Not a problem with ours, and CoreAudio playback is the main thing we use it for.
Old 18th September 2012
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
I have a Saffire unit that I use with my laptop rig that has a dodgy headphone volume pot. Only way to fix it is to turn it up, then it will suddenly "pop" and the level will be balanced L/R again. Fault developed after about 2 weeks of light use, just haven't had the time or energy to take it back. Poor quality control.
Old 17th June 2014
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Hi, just wanted to add to conversation by saying that I had exact same problem with my Scarlett 2i2, I sold it, got another one (but 2i4 this time) thinking that I just had a faulty unit. Scarlett 2i4 has this problem, too.
Getting really frustrated. On 2i4 I also have a problem with headphone output, it is very flimsy and gives me audio drop-outs so I sometimes have to adjust it to get my audio back. Annoying.
Old 17th June 2014
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
I have the 2i4, really happy with it haven't had any issues at all.. if its just one side you've obviously tried turning up the gains on that channel? tho this is only when you are recording so that probably won't help...
Old 25th June 2014 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
2i4 with bad headphone out too!

My new Scarlett 2i4 is suffering from the exact same problem as this fellow. Any solution other than sending it back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aidyhall ➑️
I have a Saffire unit that I use with my laptop rig that has a dodgy headphone volume pot. Only way to fix it is to turn it up, then it will suddenly "pop" and the level will be balanced L/R again. Fault developed after about 2 weeks of light use, just haven't had the time or energy to take it back. Poor quality control.
Old 14th December 2014
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
I've got the same issue with my 6i6 :/ Is it a common issue on all Focusrite products or do we just have faulty units?

I only get this issue when using the big volume knob on the front. When it's all the way down, L/R is balanced. When I turn it a little bit up, R is clearly louder. When I turn the knob up to 8 o'clock, R/L is balanced again.
Old 19th December 2014
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Hi

Sorry to hear you are having problems with your device.

Please raise a case with our Customer Support team via our website:

Contact | Focusrite

We will do everything we can to help.

Thanks

Luke

Focusrite Technical Support UK
Old 5th November 2015
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
google took me here so I thought I'd add.. had the same issue with my scarlett solo, however after checking my DAW levels etc for balance it occured to me to switch the interface's output cables--it's still the same channel that I perceive a little louder, so if you read this and haven't tried that it's a quick way to check if it might be the speaker placement or some other issue than the interface.

however, the left channel does fade completely while the right one is still audible when I turn the volume knob way down. I can only imagine this to be a hardware issue.. not a big deal for my everyday work but still I'd like to trust that volume pot.. :/

cheers
Old 25th May 2019
Here for the gear

same issue. i had a 2i4 and now a 6i6. the 2i4 also had a tracking issue where the sound would crackle quite a bit when actually turning the knob. the 6i6 has a stronger imbalance at low volumes. almost entirely panned to the right when anywhere below 9:00 on the dial. very frustrating as i like to work late and live in a house converted into apartments.
Old 13th May 2020
Here for the gear

Same problem 2i2 Gen 3

I'm having a very similar issue on Mac OS 10.10 (running Focusrite control 3.4.6). Sound is actually pretty poor for playback from Garageband, crackles and some effects reduce the volume of a track substantially which doesn't occur if just using the same headphones directly through the laptop. Using it to monitor a guitar directly, not through playback of a track but like an amp, sounds good though. Strange.
Old 14th May 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickMeisterB ➑️
I'm having a very similar issue on Mac OS 10.10 (running Focusrite control 3.4.6). Sound is actually pretty poor for playback from Garageband, crackles and some effects reduce the volume of a track substantially which doesn't occur if just using the same headphones directly through the laptop. Using it to monitor a guitar directly, not through playback of a track but like an amp, sounds good though. Strange.
It's broken. Return it for another one or send it in for repair.

JSL
πŸ“ Reply