Cubase 5/Yamaha UX16 Latency issues... - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Cubase 5/Yamaha UX16 Latency issues...
Old 18th September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Cubase 5/Yamaha UX16 Latency issues...

I'm going nuts.

I'm new to home recording. I recently picked up a USB-MIDI Interface (Yamaha UX16) (I read on amazon only the UX16 works for Yamaha keyboards) for my Yamaha P95 keyboard, which I'm trying to use as a midi device in Cubase 5. I'm having what seems to be latency issues.

While using the standard ASIO DirectX Full Duplex Driver (whether or not I turn on the moniter option), I can hear the keyboard coming through my speakers when I play it, but at a delay of ~1 second. It's so annoying. I already went on their website and got their latest Driver (I have windows 7 professional 64-bit), but I'm starting to get confused about which Driver I should be selecting in Cubase 5 wnen I plan on using the MIDI keyboard anyway...

I have an interface (Focusrite 2i2) also set up in Cubase 5, in case my built in one isn't good enough and I need to run through a better interface, or whatnot.

Like I said, I'm relatively new, so I've been at this for 5 hours now and still nothing. I can't tell if it's a software issue (Cubase 5), Interface issue (UX16), or hardware issue (Yamaha P95 digital piano). Can anyone please help? X_X
Old 18th September 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
I doubt that only ux16 works with your piano, but I guess they recommend it as they build it.

That being said, one good thing abou these midi interfaces that come with a custom driver and not USB class compliant ones is that they usually have better midi timing.

Regarding latency, I would say that is up to your audio interface and DAW audio buffer size. Transferring MIDI to the PC won't cause much latency, not does it take a lot of processing. However, using software to produce sound can take a noticeable amount of time of you have these buffers set high.

This buffer is meant to make it easy on your PC by giving it some time to calculate the audio to be played back, but that obviously doesn't work well if you want to play it real time.

Check what buffer size you have set in the cubase settings for audio.
Old 19th September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I did install the driver it came with. So you're saying once that's done, the interface shouldn't be the issue, but rather the program?

While the ASIO DirectX Full Duplex Driver Cubase 5 comes with is selected, I select control panel and this is the window that pops up (See Attached Pic)

It wants me to click on the values and input them manually (when I double click on the numbers, I can change them). I tried messing around with the buffer size number. I tried from 512 (lowest it will let me) to 2000, and nothing changed. Perhaps there's something I could do to the other values? Or perhaps I need to choose a different Driver in Cubase? Sorry, like I said I'm still learning all of this.

oh and yes I am trying to play it real time for the sake of recording. I'm not sure if there is a better way to go about this or not though.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg screen shot for help.jpg (70.8 KB, 3441 views)
Old 20th September 2012 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
If your driver doesn't even let you change the buffer to 512, I don't think it will work. If I'm using a virtual instrument, I usually have mine around 128.

As you can see in the control panel, the latency shows around 42 milliseconds. That will be too slow.

I think the problem is that you are using the driver that bridges the windows directX to ASIO. YOu want the native ASIO driver for your soundcard. The focusrite should have come with one...
Old 21st September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
It does let me if I click the value and type in 512, but it doesn't change anything.

I hooked up the Focusrite interface, I selected it in the device manger, and then set the latency to 1-4 ms, and it's still the same delay. Is it possibly just Cubase 5 with windows 7?
Old 21st September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Another discovery, after doing exactly what I said I did in my previous post, if I leave Cubase 5 open and then play some other sound (via spotify for this example), when I go back to Cubase 5, I can't hear anything. The keyboard doesn't even make sound through the computer and playing back previous tracks also produces no sound. Any thoughts? X_x
πŸ“ Reply