Quantcast
Cubase 5 and Mountain Lion - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Cubase 5 and Mountain Lion
Old 18th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Cubase 5 and Mountain Lion

Just wondering if anyone is running these together with success. I'm still using Cubase 5 and I'm a little afraid of updating to Mountain Lion.
Old 18th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I run Cubase 5.5 and still operate on OS 10.5.8

I was thinking about updating and the guy who set me up with my system questioned me when I asked him about updating. He asked, "Are you having issues now?" I said no. He then said, "Why do you want to update then?"

Made sense to me.
Old 18th September 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
I tried firing up 5.5 on ML10.8.1. Seems to work, but I did get a core midi error on startup. I'll report when I test more.
Old 18th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightshine ➑️
I run Cubase 5.5 and still operate on OS 10.5.8

I was thinking about updating and the guy who set me up with my system questioned me when I asked him about updating. He asked, "Are you having issues now?" I said no. He then said, "Why do you want to update then?"

Made sense to me.
I just get tired of seeing that reminder to update on the Appstore shortcut...and I read that Mountain Lion is "snappier".
EDIT - I'm new to Mac...just realized I can move the Appstore icon off of the dock.
Old 18th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by macyu ➑️
I tried firing up 5.5 on ML10.8.1. Seems to work, but I did get a core midi error on startup. I'll report when I test more.
Thanks...I'd really appreciate that!
Old 19th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon Adkins ➑️
I just get tired of seeing that reminder to update on the Appstore shortcut...and I read that Mountain Lion is "snappier".
I guess if you are using the computer for unrelated to music stuff, then the update would be something to look into. My wife and I have Iphones and an Ipad and we can not use the Cloud benefit with my Mac Pro because of not having the latest software update.

I have not seen a need with my music recording, yet, to do the update. I am sure, at some point, I will be forced to update. I am going to hold out as long as I can

I only use the Mac Pro for music production. A nice luxury!
Old 19th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I guess if you are using the computer for unrelated to music stuff, then the update would be something to look into. My wife and I have Iphones and an Ipad and we can not use the Cloud benefit with my Mac Pro because of not having the latest software update.

I have not seen a need with my music recording, yet, to do the update. I am sure, at some point, I will be forced to update. I am going to hold out as long as I can

I only use the Mac Pro for music production. A nice luxury!
After doing more homework on the subject, I'm going to wait. There just isn't any data that I can find of anyone using Cubase 5 with it. On Steinberg's website, they gave a green light to Cubase 6 but I'm not upgrading yet and may very well wait until 7 comes out.
Version 5.53 (or whatever the latest update is) is running great with Lion.
My main DAW machine is still my home built PC, but the portability of having a Macbook is awesome. It's great to be able to track some vocals downstairs in the studio and then come upstairs and be with the wife and kids while I'm editing.
I don't really favor one platform (pc vs mac) over the other so far when using Cubase....except I have noticed that a stock plugin or two is missing on the mac. No big deal really. It runs great on both.
Old 20th September 2012 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
I have been on PT more, but so far Cubase 5.5.3 seems to be working ok here with ML 10.8.1

Yeah, I noticed Steinberg only shows compatibility for version 6.x but I've been holding out with 5. I'm running this on a hackintosh with ivy bridge i5 and a firewire audio interface. You mileage may vary with the macbook. (my macbook which was my main machine before assembling this hackintosh was no longer supported for ML, so that's how I ended up here...)
Old 21st September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
After doing more homework on the subject, I'm going to wait. There just isn't any data that I can find of anyone using Cubase 5 with it. On Steinberg's website, they gave a green light to Cubase 6 but I'm not upgrading yet and may very well wait until 7 comes out.
Version 5.53 (or whatever the latest update is) is running great with Lion.
My main DAW machine is still my home built PC, but the portability of having a Macbook is awesome. It's great to be able to track some vocals downstairs in the studio and then come upstairs and be with the wife and kids while I'm editing.
I don't really favor one platform (pc vs mac) over the other so far when using Cubase....except I have noticed that a stock plugin or two is missing on the mac. No big deal really. It runs great on both.
When Cubase went from 5 to 6, I looked at the "new" features and decided there was nothing there that excited me enough to want to potentially create a nightmare with incompatability issues. My system is (knock on wood) very happy in the configuration it is living in. Two Yamaha 01V96's, the Fatso and Cubase on a Mac Pro all talk to each other and seem to get along real well I have not found a reason, yet, to change what I have.

I have a PC that does my internet and all things not related to recording music. A nice luxury.
Old 21st September 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
cubase 5.5 user here,

my new macbook pro is coming whit the new 10.8...

I hope that cubase is working fine on the new machine
I dont want upgrade to version 6!

someone can confirm that c5.5 and ml10.8 stay well together?

mike
Old 22nd September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by macyu ➑️
I have been on PT more, but so far Cubase 5.5.3 seems to be working ok here with ML 10.8.1

Yeah, I noticed Steinberg only shows compatibility for version 6.x but I've been holding out with 5. I'm running this on a hackintosh with ivy bridge i5 and a firewire audio interface. You mileage may vary with the macbook. (my macbook which was my main machine before assembling this hackintosh was no longer supported for ML, so that's how I ended up here...)
Thanks for that!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
When Cubase went from 5 to 6, I looked at the "new" features and decided there was nothing there that excited me enough to want to potentially create a nightmare with incompatability issues. My system is (knock on wood) very happy in the configuration it is living in. Two Yamaha 01V96's, the Fatso and Cubase on a Mac Pro all talk to each other and seem to get along real well I have not found a reason, yet, to change what I have.

I have a PC that does my internet and all things not related to recording music. A nice luxury.
My studio PC NEVER touches the internet either
I got this Macbook Pro for school and portable DAW uses. So it does have to go online quite a bit. I was under the impression that I didn't have to worry about viruses on a Mac, but your post has me questioning this.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikevsmike ➑️
cubase 5.5 user here,

my new macbook pro is coming whit the new 10.8...

I hope that cubase is working fine on the new machine
I dont want upgrade to version 6!

someone can confirm that c5.5 and ml10.8 stay well together?

mike
Let us know what happens
Old 24th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
My studio PC NEVER touches the internet either
I got this Macbook Pro for school and portable DAW uses. So it does have to go online quite a bit. I was under the impression that I didn't have to worry about viruses on a Mac, but your post has me questioning this.
I have heard that too, that you don't have to worry about viruses on Macs. If my Mac is on the internet, someone decides to write a virus for Macs, I then have the chance to contract that virus. The little knowledge I have about Apple OS is that it is hard for the turds to write viruses because Apple upgrades their OS so often. I did hear a while back that there was a virus that had infected Macs. There are a cajillion PCs out there and a few Macs. Lets hope the bad boys decide they want to infect the most that they can and leave the Mac world alone

My Mac gets on the internet for just a short time and off. No downloads from unknown sources.
Old 24th September 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
My PC stay hooked up to the net,and its my main daw.I only update my software though...

Sent from my AT100
Old 13th October 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Update.
Due to a defect that I found on the Macbook, I decided to take it back and get a new one. It was just a swap for the same exact model. After opening it up, I quickly discovered (to my dismay) that it came with 10.8 preinstalled. I have to say that all in all I think Mountain Lion is a little slower that Lion was (for me at least). I find myself waiting for programs to open longer than before....sometimes quite a bit longer. Maybe it's a little buggier too. Of course, that's a subjective statement because I'm a new Mac user and it could be the hardware (although it's the exact same model with the exact same specs).
Anyway. Cubase 5 works fine with it. So no worries there. Still loving it! And still loving my windows machine too
Old 3rd June 2015
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
hi Shannon!
How did you install Cubase 5? Everytime I try to install cubase 5 (hybrid version) Mac OS tells me: Installer not supported. Too old. incompatible etc.
So I bought Logic 9 Pro but I like Cubase MUCH better. Nicer to handle.
Anyhoo, please let me know how you installed Cubase 5 on Mountain Lion.
Regards
J
Old 3rd June 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesus presley ➑️
hi Shannon!
How did you install Cubase 5? Everytime I try to install cubase 5 (hybrid version) Mac OS tells me: Installer not supported. Too old. incompatible etc.
So I bought Logic 9 Pro but I like Cubase MUCH better. Nicer to handle.
Anyhoo, please let me know how you installed Cubase 5 on Mountain Lion.
Regards
J
That's weird. Actually I'm not in the Mac world any longer. I went back to PC. But I never had a problem with installing version 5 on Mountain Lion. Don't think I ever did anything different than any other installation. Hope you get it figured out.
πŸ“ Reply