Quantcast
Cubase question - changing sample rate for mixdown - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Cubase question - changing sample rate for mixdown
Old 17th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Cubase question - changing sample rate for mixdown

I run my Cubase at 44.1 or 48 khz, 24 bit for production, as I do not have that great of a soundcard and I use a lot of vsti's..

I went to test out a mixdown and tried to bump it up to 192 khz. Was hit with a few options in making the switch..

First - a simple question about sample rates... are all vsti's, or fx plug ins able to work at 192khz (even if it is beyond the scope of the plug in to do any good at that rate). Are there going to be any problems with using that sample rate for certain plugins.

Reason being, I tried to move to 192 khz just for a mixdown.. got a jumbled mess. Also what is the keep sample/timing option thing? I did not try yet at 96khz or 88.2 ... figured I should figure out what settings I need when setting a higher sample rate.

It would be nice if there was a simple option for a mixdown at a higher sample rate...
Old 17th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Before you even start to worry about the plugins, you should make sure that you interface supports 192 Khz. If you say it's not that great, it probably doesn't support it.
Old 17th September 2012

🎧 15 years
Why do you want to run at 192k?
Old 17th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
If the files were recorded at 48k, I believe Cubase would need to sample rate convert all the files. That of course would be pointless, as it would just be adding a lot of zeros to your already recorded bits.

Also, running a lot of VSTi's and a high sample rate will bring your machine to a crawl. Most people still use 44.1/48k.

If you're recording acoustic jazz or chamber music in a perfect room, then you might consider higher sample rates. For contemporary music production I wouldn't recommend it.
Old 17th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I never thought about the interface.

I have a fast track pro... will do 96khz.

I work with very little audio, mostly drum samples... mostly all itb no recordings.

I will try to do a 96khz mixdown and see how it goes.

Why? soft synth high end aliasing etc. I guess... just wanted to see if I noticed a difference.
Old 17th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
High sample rates are especially pointless if you're doing mostly electronic based music. But if you want to try 96k, start a fresh project and make sure all your samples and audio are 96k to begin with. Otherwise you're just upsampling.

You could mix all your projects at 96k, if you output the mix analog and use an external 2trk that samples at higher rates.

To deal with the high end aliasing, you can insert a lowpass filter at around 22 khz with the steepest slope possible. Try just eq'ing the instrument/VSTi that's bothering you first, rather than the entire mix.
πŸ“ Reply