Quantcast
I need guidance on switching from a G5 to a macbook, with UAD and firewire to HD24XR - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
I need guidance on switching from a G5 to a macbook, with UAD and firewire to HD24XR
Old 17th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I need guidance on switching from a G5 to a macbook, with UAD and firewire to HD24XR

I have been using an old G5 DP2Ghz. I want to streamline my space and get a mac laptop or a mac mini.

I am going to be using an Alesis HD24XR via a presonus firestudio lightpipe for my converters. 24 ins/outs.

I want to be able to run UAD plug ins, particularly the EMT140 and pultec eq.
I have built up an analogue OTB mixer, hardware effects/processors and reel to reel set up.

I will be MIDI sequencing on the computer and running some software instruments. Particularly Toontracks 'Superior Drummer'. I need low latency to play the drums from my Roland TD3 kit live and hear SD.

After I have tracked audio and MIDI etc I want to mix on my hardware mixer using the Alesis HD24XR outputs. I will also use some UAD plugs like the EMT plate reverb.

I have the presonus firestudio lightpipe. I am awaiting the HD24XR to arrive in the next few weeks.

I'm scared of potential computer issues. I don't want to have to deal with any very difficult compatibility issues.

I don't know much about the finer details of computers, although I've been using them all my life.
I'd much rather make music with an MPC and keyboard and instruments than stare at a computer and play with mice.

I am going to wait till the HD24XR get's here before I buy a computer so I can make sure it is compatible. Apprently some firewire chipsets can be problematic.

Instead of a laptop, maybe I could buy a mac mini. I was thinking laptop because it's compact portable and has a built in screen.

But if I got a custom made case made for a mac mini, maybe I could have a screen and the result would be similar to a laptop in saving space and portability.

I'm sure I am leaving out heaps of important information.

What are my chances of running a small computer set up with firewire to the HD24XR and UAD plug ins?

I think I would also have an external hard drive doing back ups with time machine or carbon cloner or something like that.

Is my dream a potential reality?

I intend to buy second hand laptop, like a 2011 model with 1 year warranty. Or mac mini new or second hand.

I almost forgot to mention that the UAD options seem to be a UAD solo express card which some people have apparently got working with a thunderbolt to express card adapter. Or the firewire satelite UAD box. I'm guessing the firewire option is more sensible.
Roman.
📝 Reply