uad 1176 classic limiter collection - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
uad 1176 classic limiter collection
Old 17th September 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
uad 1176 classic limiter collection

no one really seems to be talking about this....which is weird consider these new 1176s are by far the biggest jump in plug in fidelity that i have probably ever heard...seriously amazing sounding compressor plugs.
Old 17th September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
totally right
(but only if you skipped the UAD MP and fatso hahahahah)
Old 17th September 2012
RiF
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I find it a bit hard to get excited about the 17th 1176 plugin emulation...
Old 17th September 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
fair enough...

but yeah....its really really good. this is the best sounding plug ive heard. it being a 1176 emulation is a footnote...its sound incredible. it grabs, pumps and distorts like the real thing,...and it oozes with fidelity. no digital ****ty plug in masking
Old 17th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
I love these things! Count me in as excited!
Old 17th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
are they a huge jump? tell us about that - I already use and like the UAD 1176. Is there a vast improvement?

I could just demo it, I suppose, but I deliberately keep my computer offline, and with the router far enough away that I have to physically lift the computer several meters before I can get online.

This was only way to get on top of my addiction to idly demo-ing stuff, needing to have it, and weeping as mortgage day came around every month.

These days I wait until it's become very clear there's new stuff I need to buy, and then hook up and buy a few things when I have the money. A few times a year, when I choose to. Dudes - these plugin manufacturers are like heroin dealers with their free samples. They know we're weak.

Oh, God, REALLY? Is there something I really need now? Go on, tell me...
Old 17th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
It would be really interesting to hear from the company, however. They still sell an 1176 for $2k retail. I can get what I consider to be a well made 1176 using a Hairball kit for about $900 by having a fellow gearslut make it. Yet these plug-ins that are touted as being identical and offer 3 variants(idk about you, but more variety is better when mixing itb), but are only sold for $300-$400 for the bundle. If they're just as good as the real thing, why then, isn't either the analog unit worth less, or the plug-in worth more? This is coming from a guy who uses nothing but UAD plugs for all his mixes aside from a very specific 2buss chain. I have 3 UAD-2's at this point and every plug-in up to the Masssive Passive release, meaning, I have every single other compressor they make.
Old 17th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
A lot of praise in this thread New UAD 1176 and V6.2

Still use them and love them.
Old 18th September 2012 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiF ➑️
I find it a bit hard to get excited about the 17th 1176 plugin emulation...
You forgot to put ANY
Old 23rd September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
What do people think these shine on most? I have the Waves CLA-76 and it is pretty good. The new UAD's seem to make the sound feel a bit fuller in my limited experience so far with the demo, but that may just be a level issue.

Just got an Apollo Quad, so I'm trying to figure out what plugins to get with my voucher. Tried the Ampex and Studer since they are on sale, but strangely enough, I seem to be preferring the Slate VTM. And now with the new 1176 collection, wondering if I already have something as good in my native collection...a bit of a letdown considering I have this Quad now...
Old 23rd September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clonkified ➑️
What do people think these shine on most? I have the Waves CLA-76 and it is pretty good. The new UAD's seem to make the sound feel a bit fuller in my limited experience so far with the demo, but that may just be a level issue.

Just got an Apollo Quad, so I'm trying to figure out what plugins to get with my voucher. Tried the Ampex and Studer since they are on sale, but strangely enough, I seem to be preferring the Slate VTM. And now with the new 1176 collection, wondering if I already have something as good in my native collection...a bit of a letdown considering I have this Quad now...
UA 1176a and the CLA76 doesnt do the same things. The UA is brighter, you can use it as an distortion device, you can use different ratio combinations etc. Try them!

The Ampex is awesome, you have to spend some time with it to figure it out. At least I had to.
Old 24th September 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
you can actually crush things with the new uads and hear pumping very very similar to that of the hardware...something i have never heard from any other 1176 plug...

the detail and life to them is unparalleled. i get the cynicism though...i have never vouched for any plug in before this besides the decapitator and echo boy....UAD is releasing some really great stuff right now. IMO, its next level and Ive started selling gear off because im simply not using it anymore
Old 28th November 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Just got the classic collection. The plugs are very good. Someone wondered how UA could sell the hardware at a high price and the software at a low price and was dubious of the SW's quality. As the poster wrote, wouldn't the plug go up or the hardware go down? Regarding price, keep in mind, this software does require hardware, though it is still 1/2 price of the hardware unit. I suppose there is always going to be folks who want the hardware and that UA will provide the goods if it makes financial sense. And there are still folks who just do not use software ever, see Dirt Floor Studio in Conn.

That aside, these plugs do sound really good. I have owned a few HW compressors including the 2-1176. I really could only draw on my memory and speculate if they sound similar. What I can compare directly to is the original plug, one that still sounds good to my ear. These definitely sound different, and I may even say better. As well, they sound different from each other.

I hope UA continues on the update path. I would love an improved Pultec and La2a. They are great and I would be willing to pay a similar amount for an improvement as seen with the 1176 Classic Collection.
Old 28th November 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Original UAD 1176 is still good enough for me. One of my favorites for vox.
Old 29th November 2012 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Logan ➑️
After fooling around with these plugs for a few more hours, I agree. The original sounds good. For what it is worth, it sounds the cleanest to me, which is still a bit dirty. The original also uses less DSP. For that reason, I might turn out to use the original more than the others. Nevertheless, very happy with the update. Especially as I was able to apply several coupons that had an expiration date.

If anything, these plugs are distinct from each other. It often takes me months to really appreciate and understand new equipment and plugs. To work and have that feeling of expectation and focus of how the item is going to effect the sound before it is applied.

So, this nerd says BUY BUY BUY!
Old 2nd December 2012 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Logan ➑️
Agreed.
πŸ“ Reply