The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
SPDIF Toslink / Coax conversion?
Old 16th September 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
SPDIF Toslink / Coax conversion?

Hi, quick question:

I need to connect two devices digitally through SPDIF. One has a coax RCA output, the other has an optical Toslink input. Obviously I need a format converter. I have seen that there are quite cheap devices on the market, e.g. from M-Audio the CO2 or even cheaper a converter from Lindy that is only around 35 Euros.

Now, just to make sure I get this right - it converts an electric stream of zeros and ones into an optical stream of identical zeros and ones, and that means the signal is not degraded in any way - is that correct??? Even a cheap device will do that flawlessly?
Old 17th September 2012
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
I use a CO2 extensively. In front of a good DAC, I can hear no appreciable degradation between going optical through the CO2 to coax or going direct through AES/EBU. I can't speak for other units but the CO2 works very well. One thing to be careful of is to keep the combined length of the optical and coax cables reasonably short or you may get clicks and pops at higher sample rates.

Cheers.
Old 17th September 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I just found another review on the net where somebody writes that the Lindy converter has a high noise floor. How can that be??? I mean - again, this is zeros and ones from one stream through a coax cable converted to an identical stream of zeros and ones through an optical cable, right? How could that induce noise? Or jitter? Or any other signal degradation?

I do understand that cable length plays a role since too much resistance of a too long cable can weaken the signal to the point where "the ones and zeros are no longer clearly readable". But given the cables are proper, why should there be a problem?
Old 17th September 2012
Audio Alchemist

Jitter or the noise floor problem you mention won't happen during digital transfer of data unless there are severe clock problems - in which case you'll hear it as a very noticeable increase in noise or clicks/dropouts. Instead it'll happen at the AD/DA steps.

If the Lindy Converter is a SPDIF Coax > SPDIF lightpipe converter I fail to see how that could raise the noise floor unless it's broken.
Old 17th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagerfeldt ➑️
Jitter or the noise floor problem you mention won't happen during digital transfer of data unless there are severe clock problems - in which case you'll hear it as a very noticeable increase in noise or clicks/dropouts. Instead it'll happen at the AD/DA steps.

If the Lindy Converter is a SPDIF Coax > SPDIF lightpipe converter I fail to see how that could raise the noise floor unless it's broken.
Thanks Lagerfeldt! I hoped that would be the answer. I'll just go with that Lindy converter.
Old 18th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by parlopower ➑️
Thanks Lagerfeldt! I hoped that would be the answer. I'll just go with that Lindy converter.

Parlo - I am currently debating the exact same issue. Specifically regarding hooking up my Kemper to my Babyface. I noticed the Lindy convertors too but couldn't find much feedback online. If you do manage to pick one up, would you do us a favour and post a follow up on how you get on with it?
Old 19th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by weirdfishee ➑️
Parlo - I am currently debating the exact same issue. Specifically regarding hooking up my Kemper to my Babyface. I noticed the Lindy convertors too but couldn't find much feedback online. If you do manage to pick one up, would you do us a favour and post a follow up on how you get on with it?
I'll do that!
Old 12th October 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
yesterday i put a lindy (analog-spdif) going to the input of a m-audio 1010lt
(I want record 10 channels at same time and m-audio only have 8 analogue inputs.
My test= now i have 10 channels, not noticiable degradation in a m-audio, no differece in sound with the another 8 analogue channels (using preamps from a analogue soundcraft ghost mixer )
Maybe in a more hi-end route you will note any differences, but for me works very well . . .
Old 22nd October 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Just to round up the thread... I did not try the Lindy stuff. I needed the converters to make the round trip from the Steinberg UR824's optical SPDIF into my Axe Fx 2's RCA SPDIF and back for reamping. I tried with a M-Audio CO2 since it is bidirectional. It did not work since the Axe Fx 2 does not recognise an input clock signal that way and refuses to work. It works without problems if I connect my Steinberg UR28M RCA SPDIF to RCA SPDIF on the Axe without a converter in between. So I decided to use the UR28M for the task instead of the UR824 with an optical/coax converter.
Old 30th August 2016
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
There are many users reporting high noise with the lindy converter.
The high noise level comes from amazons crappy review system.
The reviews from "lindy digital to analog coverters" are also listed for other lindy products like the "Coax to Toslink 2 way Converter & Repeater".

I have the "Lindy Coax to Toslink 2 way Converter & Repeater" here and it works fine with multiface toslink out > lindy toslink in > lindy coax out > denon receiver coax in with [email protected]
My Energy Check 3000 says 0,0 W Power consumption (in real it must be something from 0,x-2w).
Old 30th August 2016 | Show parent
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
if it runs on 5 Volt then how clean the power is, may be an issue. the apple chargers are supposed to be good, but there are a lot of fakes. there's some Dutch brand of USB charger called (Tiger / something) but I lost the link to those. the other good one I believe is made by Ikea. you can sometimes try on a USB power bank, but those aren't always that clean either.
Old 16th January 2019
Gear Maniac

I found almost no information about coax/toslink conversion through S/PDIF. I wonder which issues can happen regarding clocking/sync-ing.

I've just ordered an Apogee Element 46, and I have a pretty old M-Audio Fast Track Pro which has a S/PDIF port, allowing me getting a total of 6 channels. What are your guesses about this plan? Will that work?
πŸ“ Reply