Quantcast
just got a new laptop. IS THERE ANYWAY TO TRANSFER MY DAW AND VSTS - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
just got a new laptop. IS THERE ANYWAY TO TRANSFER MY DAW AND VSTS
Old 16th September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
just got a new laptop. IS THERE ANYWAY TO TRANSFER MY DAW AND VSTS

I finally upgraded in a major way from my 4 year old slug. Is there anyway to transfer FL studio and all my plugins. And vsts. Without redownloading and reinstalling and losing all my patches and presets? I don't have an epic amount of time and im going for about 30gigs worth of data here. Excluding all my other stuff. I do have a 350gig eexternal hard drive. anyone. Please help. Tried all morning to find an answer. PS
This is going from an old 32 bit windows 7 that has gotten completely Fd because the laptopi got had a locked hard drive so i can't wipe it or update it.
Just got a killer deal on the samsung 7 17 inch chronos.
1500 dollar laptop. Trying to move massive nexus and flstudio plus all my projects and samples
Old 17th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
nope you are going to have to redownload those vsts next time its best to buy a boxed version or back up the download files to an external hard drive. I back up my files personally.
Old 17th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
You can purchase Acronis True Image Home. With it you can create an image of the old hard drive and restore it to a different computer. You'll need all the drivers available for your new system. I use it all the time but have only restored to the same computer - not to a different one but that is one of its features. You will have to re-authorize you software.

Backup software for data backup and recovery | Acronis
Old 17th September 2012 | Show parent

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dino321 ➡️
You can purchase Acronis True Image Home. With it you can create an image of the old hard drive and restore it to a different computer. You'll need all the drivers available for your new system. I use it all the time but have only restored to the same computer - not to a different one but that is one of its features. You will have to re-authorize you software.

Backup software for data backup and recovery | Acronis
You're really asking for trouble doing this.

A day installing a system solidly from scratch is time worth spending. Cloning a system with different hardware and expecting it to work is asking for months of instability, confusing issues and so on.

I'm a fan of imaging software, but only for backing up a machine. For a new setup, I'd always do a fresh installation.
Old 17th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey ➡️
You're really asking for trouble doing this.

A day installing a system solidly from scratch is time worth spending. Cloning a system with different hardware and expecting it to work is asking for months of instability, confusing issues and so on.

I'm a fan of imaging software, but only for backing up a machine. For a new setup, I'd always do a fresh installation.

Absolutely, just face the fact that a reinstall is going to be needed when you buy a new machine. I always set aside a week to get a new machine set up and installed before I use it professionally. I just use the time to listen to new music in the studio and read forums

However.... isn't there some kind of migration assistant built into windows 7? I know the OSX version works very well but I've never used any thing like it on windows.

A clean install is always preferable IMHO.

MC
Old 17th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Also, any plugins that have challenge/response based on a hardware ID won't work when cloned onto a new PC.
Old 20th September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
thank you guys, i ended up doing a fresh install, of course, something on my external from my old laptop, was infected with something, spent a couple days cleaning out my brand new system. but now its good to go.
Old 12th February 2016
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
*bump*
Will 2006 software work in Windows 10 after an upgrade from Vista? I have Orion Platinum on my old 2009 laptop and a flash drive. Would I have to reinstall it after the update? Also, if I get a brand new laptop and since the software is discontinued will it still ask me to reauthorize it and will the reauthorization even work?
📝 Reply