The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
RETINA OR NON RETINA MBP for Logic pro?
Old 19th September 2012 | Show parent
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by globularballoon ➡️
I meant 2012 actually. The baseline 15".

The newer models have faster RAM, USB3, and Thunderbolt. Personally, I wouldn't even consider a 2011 model.
They really out done themselves with the 2012 models, didn't they? Although I don't like the non user serviceable RAM and SSD, I see the reason for the SSD (takes up less space). Hopefully some other companies will decide to reinvent the SSD in a thinner form factor more suitable to laptops and Apple will get back on board .
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by totallybertini ➡️
I think I'll be going with the rMBP, and add a single slot PCIe>TB which will house a 3 port FW card. It seems like this will offer the least upgrade headache as my converter, drives, and UAD processor all run on firewire. Theoretically I'll be able to process 3 firewire's worth of data through a single thunderbolt line, assuming the card will run all FW ports at full bandwidth. OWC is selling the chassis for around $350, and the FW cards average around $60.
Nooooooo! You are wasting your money. The rMBP does not offer enough benefits (at least for you) to be worth it. Why pay 350 and 60 for a chassis and card when you can just get the cMBP and save some money, even with the comp itself. You can upgrade the RAM and drives (you can actually put a SSD and a HDD in the computer, so no external drives [check out ifixit]) and save A LOT of money! Please reconsider.
Old 19th September 2012
EDF
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Go with what you can upgrade, you can eventually purchase an external retina display that'll be large in the future. I'll take more RAM and drives over something visual anyway.
Gear Maniac

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Hepworth ➡️

Just get the classic MBP. Don't know about you, but a small screen with high resolution equals tiny icons and nearly unreadable text. The standard "better" Rez is the better way to go. ALL MBP's support high Rez on a large screen where it's actually useful.
+1 i looked at a HI-RES screen and the text was too small for my liking.

Plus when i lowered the res to the same as a standard screen it was definitely morse fuzzy. When i lowered the standard screens res to about 1200 x 850 or what ever it is it was still quite sharp. I dont mind the glossy screen as i work almost all the time indoors.

I must say though that the retina screen is incredible. When the res is lowered a lot its still razor sharp, but whats the point in that!?!? then every thing is so big in the screen working with logic you can see as much at any one time with a 13 inch.
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunjji ➡️
Nooooooo! You are wasting your money. The rMBP does not offer enough benefits (at least for you) to be worth it. Why pay 350 and 60 for a chassis and card when you can just get the cMBP and save some money, even with the comp itself. You can upgrade the RAM and drives (you can actually put a SSD and a HDD in the computer, so no external drives [check out ifixit]) and save A LOT of money! Please reconsider.
Well.. I'm seeing things a little differently. For one, spec for spec (namely processor speed, ssd hard drive size, and amount of RAM), the retina actually came in slightly cheaper than the standard MBP. Also, standard MBP only comes with 1 firewire port and I need 3 running at the highest possible bandwidth, so I'd be picking up the chassis and the card either way. And after all this, I still have a 2nd thunderbolt port which the audio world seems to be embracing more and more. I feel like because of this my expansion options are actually greater. Not much need for extra internal hard drive space as my work travels around a lot.

So for my needs, retina seems to win.
Old 19th September 2012
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Alright, I hope everything works out fine (remember to maintain a healthy battery because that thing is hard to replace/expensive).
Old 20th September 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Lots and lots of problems with the retina MBPs.

Head over here and skim thru the first few pages:

MacBook Pro - MacRumors Forums

Recent post from someone there:

Originally Posted by MacRetina
I wanted to post something positive to all the negativity threads about the rMBP battery! The battery is not bad like you read in the forums.

Yes it is. The battery is not the only thing that sucks on this over priced heap of garbage.

Let me provide a list of all the areas this laptop sucks.

1- retina display and OS are not optimized for each other. The screen is blurred on high resolution settings and mine suffers the ghosting issues reported by others on this site.
2- the screen goes blank after the login from cold startup. This happens everyday. After booting the computer from a cold start and entering the password, the computer screen shuts off. The computer is still running but with the screen not turned on. It takes a hard reset to reboot and 3-4 times before the screen works as normal.
3- no Ethernet connection. This just makes me mad as Ethernet has been world standard for the past 20 years. The cable converters are also crap. The thunderbolt connection is not tight and cables easily pull loose. USB only supports 100MB network. Only thunderbolt connection supports 1GB but the cables break through poor manufacturing. They also cost far too much. I never get the same problem with USB cables?
4- wifi constantly drops no matter how close to the router the computer is.
5- battery life sucks.... Really sucks....

The list could continue. If your thinking of buying this over priced over rated computer please think again.

I'm currently battling with the Genius idiots at the apple store to understand that the problem with the blank screen after boot up is not a software problem. Its like dealing with a call center idoit from a 3rd world. After installing the OS more than 4 times I'm at my wits end. They think once it's booted up correctly its now works! Idiots.

Apple = Fail + lies + cheats. This computer is not ready or relighable enough to release to the retail market.
Old 2nd October 2012 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quick update,

Got the whole rig set up:

rMBP
OWC Helios TB>PCI Chassis
Sonnet Allegro 800 PCIe

Did not have to upgrade anything outside of my computer, and it all works like a charm. Didn't even have to install drivers for Helios or FW card, and now I have 3 FW800 ports running at full bandwidth. All PT related tasks happen super fast. All programs running smoothly, not a single error message or glitch. Already got a few mixes out with no issues whatsoever.

Plus, I never thought I'd give a **** about picture quality, but I look at other computers and feel like my eyes are hurting! Wowie...

Definitely a happy rMBP user here.

Quick note, if anybody decides to go this route, the Sonnet Tango 800 PCIe does not support thunderbolt connectivity. Had to ship back and replace with the Allegro, just FYI.
Old 2nd October 2012 | Show parent
GCL
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by totallybertini ➡️

Plus, I never thought I'd give a **** about picture quality, but I look at other computers and feel like my eyes are hurting! Wowie...
Exactly what I thought. And crazy as it may seem, the screen is so good I made it my main screen, choosing it over my 27" Thunderbolt Display, which now handles all picture duties. I can't even stand to look at text on regular monitors anymore. My iPad3, rMBP, and iPhone4S all have the same high-res screen. It'll be a while until we see a 20" or 27" though.
Old 8th October 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by tablatom ➡️
With the NON RETINA, 1 thunderbolt port, 1 firewire800 port, 2 USB3 ports, ethernet port.
the optical bay actually gives you another internal SATA connection, for a CD-drive or another HDD or SSD.

Also take note the ivy bridge chipset supports 32gb ram, only the non retina model will be able to upgrade as soon as there are 16gb ram modules for sale since its not soldered. (ok, maybe noone will ever need 32gb of ram, but who knows)
Old 19th October 2012 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
classic MBP ..13" same advantages as 15" ?

Hello..
A bit confused about what new mac laptop Im going to buy..but your advises are leading me to get the "normal" MBP instead of the retina one.. Can you tell me if I can get all the advantages on the 13" model as well?
I'm talking about SSD+ second options and ram upgrades..
Thanks!

EDIT
sorry for my ignorance..I just saw now that 13" MBP is dual cores only.. while the 15" is 4 cores..
THis alone would be a reason to go for the 15 and dont think about it twice..but to me it looks that 2,9 dual cores is good processing power anyway,..if that could be assisted by SSD drive and a second fast HD, or it is huge difference with a 2,3 GHZ 4 cores or even the 2,6?
Old 20th October 2012 | Show parent
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1manstudio ➡️
Hello..
A bit confused about what new mac laptop Im going to buy..but your advises are leading me to get the "normal" MBP instead of the retina one.. Can you tell me if I can get all the advantages on the 13" model as well?
I'm talking about SSD+ second options and ram upgrades..
Thanks!

EDIT
sorry for my ignorance..I just saw now that 13" MBP is dual cores only.. while the 15" is 4 cores..
THis alone would be a reason to go for the 15 and dont think about it twice..but to me it looks that 2,9 dual cores is good processing power anyway,..if that could be assisted by SSD drive and a second fast HD, or it is huge difference with a 2,3 GHZ 4 cores or even the 2,6?
The drive and CPU handle different things. CPU will increase your ability to run plugins, while the drive can assist with VI libraries. I would say to get the 4-core 13 inch AT LEAST, and the lower end 15 inch is ideal if you are upgrading things. Also, don't record your music onto a SSD because the constant writing and rewriting will fry it. Use the SSD as a system 'read-only' drive and record onto a second HDD (in place of dvd drive).

Links:
RAM:Amazon.com: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1600 MHz (PC3 12800) Laptop Memory (CMSX16GX3M2A1600C10): Computers & Accessories
SSD: Amazon.com: Crucial 256 GB m4 2.5-Inch Solid State Drive SATA 6Gb/s CT256M4SSD2: Electronics
http://www.amazon.com/Crucial-2-5-In...dp/B004W2JKZI/
HDD (if you want more storage, you probably don't need it): Amazon.com: Seagate Barracuda 7200 1 TB 7200RPM SATA 6 Gb/s NCQ 64MB Cache 3.5-Inch Internal Bare Drive ST1000DM003: Electronics
Old 22nd October 2012 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunjji ➡️
The drive and CPU handle different things. CPU will increase your ability to run plugins, while the drive can assist with VI libraries. I would say to get the 4-core 13 inch AT LEAST, and the lower end 15 inch is ideal if you are upgrading things. Also, don't record your music onto a SSD because the constant writing and rewriting will fry it. Use the SSD as a system 'read-only' drive and record onto a second HDD (in place of dvd drive).

Links:
RAM:Amazon.com: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1600 MHz (PC3 12800) Laptop Memory (CMSX16GX3M2A1600C10): Computers & Accessories
SSD: Amazon.com: Crucial 256 GB m4 2.5-Inch Solid State Drive SATA 6Gb/s CT256M4SSD2: Electronics
Amazon.com: Crucial 128 GB m4 2.5-Inch Solid State Drive SATA 6Gb/s CT128M4SSD2: Electronics
HDD (if you want more storage, you probably don't need it): Amazon.com: Seagate Barracuda 7200 1 TB 7200RPM SATA 6 Gb/s NCQ 64MB Cache 3.5-Inch Internal Bare Drive ST1000DM003: Electronics
Thanks a lot Bunjji
Searching on the Apple store, I couldnt find any 4 cores 13" MBP..maybe you are talking about the previous?
What I would like to understand is ..will I get decent power and upgrade options if I get the i7 2,9 ghz dual core 13" or I it would be better to go straight to a 4 cores 2,3 ghz i5 MBP 15"?
I guess I cannot afford the i7 quad MBP 2,6 ghz..
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
So far I'm loving my rMBP 2.6, 16gb. Logic is still low res, but is ok to work on. HiDPI stuff looks amazing! And the whole rig is blazing fast. I haven't encountered any of the issues some people are complaining about.
Old 22nd October 2012
Sim
Lives for gear
The problem with the rMBP is non upgradable/ repairable parts so in three years time when your apple care runs out and your feeling your mac is getting sluggish or it's battery sucks, it's time to buy a new one. Don't worry OS updates will guarantee this happens. Anyone who's buying pre rMBP wil be able to upgrade for not much money and maybe get 5-6 years out of theirs instead of 3-4. As it has been pointed out you probably can't run a monitor with TB and the retina display both at max res.

All apple has done is make something you can't service, but you can buy accessories for. Don't expect TB external HDD to get cheap anytime soon unless it really kicks off on PC's. This means they make more sales as your forced to purchase more often. Come the next MBP you won't be able to upgrade anything and the whole system will be unserviceable like an ipad. The rMBP is the bridge between the two. I wonder if they still call it pro then.
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breaks Dude ➡️
Lots and lots of problems with the retina MBPs.

Head over here and skim thru the first few pages:

MacBook Pro - MacRumors Forums

Recent post from someone there:

Originally Posted by MacRetina
I wanted to post something positive to all the negativity threads about the rMBP battery! The battery is not bad like you read in the forums.

Yes it is. The battery is not the only thing that sucks on this over priced heap of garbage.

Let me provide a list of all the areas this laptop sucks.

1- retina display and OS are not optimized for each other. The screen is blurred on high resolution settings and mine suffers the ghosting issues reported by others on this site.
2- the screen goes blank after the login from cold startup. This happens everyday. After booting the computer from a cold start and entering the password, the computer screen shuts off. The computer is still running but with the screen not turned on. It takes a hard reset to reboot and 3-4 times before the screen works as normal.
3- no Ethernet connection. This just makes me mad as Ethernet has been world standard for the past 20 years. The cable converters are also crap. The thunderbolt connection is not tight and cables easily pull loose. USB only supports 100MB network. Only thunderbolt connection supports 1GB but the cables break through poor manufacturing. They also cost far too much. I never get the same problem with USB cables?
4- wifi constantly drops no matter how close to the router the computer is.
5- battery life sucks.... Really sucks....

The list could continue. If your thinking of buying this over priced over rated computer please think again.

I'm currently battling with the Genius idiots at the apple store to understand that the problem with the blank screen after boot up is not a software problem. Its like dealing with a call center idoit from a 3rd world. After installing the OS more than 4 times I'm at my wits end. They think once it's booted up correctly its now works! Idiots.

Apple = Fail + lies + cheats. This computer is not ready or relighable enough to release to the retail market.
I have a retina and have literally none of these problems. Sorry your experience is so awful compared to mine! Mine is awesome and highly reliable. Would definitely recommend (based on my experience with it so far)
GCL
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sim ➡️
The problem with the rMBP is non upgradable/ repairable parts so in three years time when your apple care runs out and your feeling your mac is getting sluggish or it's battery sucks, it's time to buy a new one. Don't worry OS updates will guarantee this happens. Anyone who's buying pre rMBP wil be able to upgrade for not much money and maybe get 5-6 years out of theirs instead of 3-4. As it has been pointed out you probably can't run a monitor with TB and the retina display both at max res.

All apple has done is make something you can't service, but you can buy accessories for. Don't expect TB external HDD to get cheap anytime soon unless it really kicks off on PC's. This means they make more sales as your forced to purchase more often. Come the next MBP you won't be able to upgrade anything and the whole system will be unserviceable like an ipad. The rMBP is the bridge between the two. I wonder if they still call it pro then.
Yes, you can run the rMBP at full rez plus a TB at full rez too.
📝 Reply