UAD.. Some question! - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
UAD.. Some question!
Old 16th September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
UAD.. Some question!

I'm tempted to buy UAD-2 Quad Flexi.

Since there is a 500$ voucheur inside, I'd like to buy some extra plug from UAD store..

I'm going for EMT 140 and one channel strip between SSL and Neve.
What's the best in your opinion? I'm for Neve since I like Neve sound and there's plenty of other SSL plugs ouu there (Waves, Duende, ..) but since I cannot try it let me help please!

Also, I'm buying UAD mostly for verbs since I think plug verbs are "strange" compared to real units (I worked a lot with TC M5000... with plugs you have to tweak a LOOOOT to avoid losing "presence" on vocals)...

IS EMT140 good or will Lexicon one be better?
Old 16th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
You get 14 days to demo all the plugs on UAD.. Probably better to make your mind up that way, especially on the Neve vs. SSL stuff where the differences are subtle. EMT 140 is a rock solid purchase though
Old 16th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Search:Here's a few. There are many many more.
UAD voucher - not sure what to get
First uad plugin purchase help
UAD
UAD Neve 1073 vs Harrison 32c
You can spend a week going thru all the uad threads. One thing. Don't demo a ton of plugs at once. Maybe a few at a time unless you are going to buy lots at a time.
Old 16th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Oh, no need to demo the uad massive passive and the 1176 bundle. Just buy them.
Old 16th September 2012
RiF
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
EMT140 is a no-brainer.
Not sure if I would spend much money on the EQs... at least I regretted my purchases (Cambridge, 1084, 88RS). The PultecPro is cool, though (before PSP nobleQ came out).
I'd go for stuff first that's not available elsewhere, like Dimension D, CE-1, Studer, Ampex, Prec Maximizer, Fatso, EMTs.
Old 16th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
My rocommendations:
Massive Passive
FATSO
EMT140/250
Neve88rs (Not everyone likes it but I love it)
Dimension D
1176 bundle
The Echoplex (can't remember the model but it sounds great)
33609 (won't work every time but when it does...)
They haven't come out yet but I'm foaming at the mouth for the new API stuff
not at the studio right now and I'm sure I missed some great stuff but that should get
u going.
Old 16th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Very nice choices. I might replace that 88RS with the Roland stomp and Lex 224. Still haven't tried out their MXR flanger.
Old 16th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
As others are saying there are too many great plugins available,even with the Flexi coupon and you'll use it up almost immediately.
It's too easy for us to recommend ways for the OP to spend his money in this type of thread,so in the spirit of giving another POV I'll say this:
UA has 2 or 3 big sales every year,if you can wait a bit I think they're bound to have one of their biggest promotions of the last year or 2 in the next couple of months.
I bought my Quad during the Summer 2011 promotion($800 in free plugs with the Quad)many people including myself were hoping for another similar promotion this Summer but it never happened.
UA has been focusing on the Apollo and I suspect many users such as myself have held off buying more plugins or cards until UA makes the transition to 64bit.
I expect some kind of big promotion sometime soon to launch the 64bit & for UA to try to regain momentum with the cards and plugin sales.
As a practice I only buy UA cards or plugins when they have these types of killer sales,there's too much potential $aving$ for me not to wait!
They always have them sooner or later,they promised 64bit this year and they haven't had a really aggressive sale since the Winter sale,if I remember correctly.
So if you can wait a bit something tells me you can maximize the purchasing power with a little patience and really slut out ;-)
I'd never buy a Quad Flexi or a bunch of their plugs unless there was some type of BIG sales promotion from UA at the same time.
The Flexi bundle is nice but not great as is, you save about $200 on the price of the plugins but timing this with the next big sale could make this a much better deal for you.
I smell something brewing in our near future,I say patience.

What I'd hate to see is you get this now and they have a big sale soon there after.
I really expect a BIG SALE in our near future,it's been too long since UA had one and I suspect the 64bit launch or the Holiday sale will be more than worth waiting for.

How's that for a GS curveball ;-)

KG
Old 16th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by electro ➡️
Very nice choices. I might replace that 88RS with the Roland stomp and Lex 224. Still haven't tried out their MXR flanger.
The 224 is amazing and the Roland stomp chorus is just gooey goodness. great stuff
Old 16th September 2012
Gear Head

7 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
EMT 140 is fenomenal!
Then I'd suggest Roland Dimension D and Massive Passive but as kgdrum pointed out you could save big if you'd wait for the next big sale. I saved about 150$ but I was very lucky to hit a sale right after I bought the Duo.
Old 16th September 2012
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sino ➡️
I'm going for EMT 140 and one channel strip between SSL and Neve.
What's the best in your opinion? I'm for Neve since I like Neve sound and there's plenty of other SSL plugs ouu there (Waves, Duende, ..) but since I cannot try it let me help please!
I liked the SSL more because the expander works better on drums and I like the EQ for those channel-strop duties.
Neve is great too, but here I went for the 1073 & 1081 EQs.
Quote:
Also, I'm buying UAD mostly for verbs since I think plug verbs are "strange" compared to real units (I worked a lot with TC M5000... with plugs you have to tweak a LOOOOT to avoid losing "presence" on vocals)...
IS EMT140 good or will Lexicon one be better?
You should definetely demo SSL-E vs. RS88 and the three modeled reverbs BEFORE you buy anything with the flexi coupon.
EMT 140 is fantastic - but just a plate reverb. Thick dense tail.
Lexicon 224 XL has all algorithms from the original hardware so it´s far more flexible. But: It´s not the most dense reverb and a matter of taste on drums.
Old 16th September 2012

🎧 10 years
...and if you buy them one at a time yo get your demos reset so you can spend more tim evaluating each plugin "in depth".
📝 Reply