Quantcast
Impressed by Slate Digital VTM (virtual tape machines) - Page 6 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Impressed by Slate Digital VTM (virtual tape machines)
Old 21st January 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Same exact thing happens here in Samplitude.
Old 8th February 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I've read so much conflicting information on the use of metering and I just can't get my head around the old-school style VU meters :(

With VTM in particular, if I drive the input by say just 2db (all calibration settings at default) and the needle on the meter is peaking just under 0, sustaining at -3 and tailing at -5 on an 808, in ITB mixing terms (i.e. using a peak meter), how much DB of coloration is the plugin actually adding? The original 2db value driven by the input dial?

Would really appreciate someone clearing this up for me

Thanks slutz
Old 8th February 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I've read so much conflicting information on the use of metering and I just can't get my head around the old-school style VU meters :(

With VTM in particular, if I drive the input by say just 2db (all calibration settings at default) and the needle on the meter is peaking just under 0, sustaining at -3 and tailing at -5 on an 808; using ITB mixing terms (i.e. using a digital peak meter), how much DB of coloration is the plugin actually adding? The original 2db value driven by the input dial?

I'm just not sure how I'm reading this dial. In particular when using compression on the mix bus, I may only want 1.5db in gain reduction but I can't tell how much that correlates to on a vu meter. Would really appreciate someone clearing this up for me

Thanks slutz
Old 12th February 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Old 12th February 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Do we get info on new updates? My version still has crackles on some material unless the W&F is at 0%.
I did try some new version about seven months ago or so but it kept crashing my DAW.
Old 24th November 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Lately I have tried to do more mixes without VTM. But almost always the results end up being much more flat, smaller and less impressive than with VTM. I did not even realise how big difference it made until I stopped using it for some time
Old 30th November 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leevi ➑️
Lately I have tried to do more mixes without VTM. But almost always the results end up being much more flat, smaller and less impressive than with VTM. I did not even realise how big difference it made until I stopped using it for some time
Three years later it's still a great plugin. I still use it on nearly every mix and on nearly every track. I'll usually skip putting it on piano, bass tracks and sends but everything else gets the tape treatment.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by doom64 ➑️
Three years later it's still a great plugin. I still use it on nearly every mix and on nearly every track. I'll usually skip putting it on piano, bass tracks and sends but everything else gets the tape treatment.
What kind of settings do you use generally? I have never used it on sends. Only on individual tracks and mix buss.

Last edited by Leevi; 30th November 2015 at 01:25 PM.. Reason: Settings for general use.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
What kind of settings do you use? I have never used it on sends. Only on individual tracks and mix buss.
He said he doesn't use it on sends.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sotsirc ➑️
He said he doesn't use it on sends.
I know I was asking generally.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
I know I was asking generally.
I set it up like a real studio would.

Tracks:

2" 16-track machine, FG9 tape at 15 IPS. Normal bias 9 times out of 10.

Noise all the way down...I save noise level for mastering.

Wow and flutter at 40-50%. 25% if I am going for a super clean recording. Bass alignment at zero

Adjust input/output "until it sounds good".

Master buss:

I use VTM as my last plugin. I simulate recording my mixdown to tape and then sending that reel "to the mastering engineer" which is usually me. But that's how all my favorite music was mixed down/mastered and having some extra VTM doesn't hurt things.

1/2" machine
FG 9 tape
15 ips usually but if I am going for a pristine recording I will go to 30 IPS.
Bias ALWAYS on normal.

Bass alignment is on a case by case basis.

Then, I will mix down the files. I'll then take that file, drop it into a new "mastering session". VCC mix buss as my first plugin, VTM 1/2" tape as my second to last (usually with the meter at "0" this time around), set my VTM noise level (sometimes I won't have any noise...other times it will audible) and finally a brickwall limiter as the very last plugin.

The key for me is using this plugin in conjunction with the Virtual Console collection. I record my tracks very clean and use plugins to add the character. I'd love to have the fancy gear that plugins emulate but high end clients aren't my customers. Maybe one day...or if I win Power Ball!
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatevertrevor ➑️
Anyone else who bought VTM and VMR previously feel completely shafted by the new subscription system and the lack of loyalty to existing customers with the black friday deals and new subscription system leaving previous purchasers of his products with worse offers, except for an extended trial period of the everything bundle..completely insulted and mugged off and won't use his products any more as a result....sorry for off topic rant but went to buy a Slate plug ins in the cyber sale and there is no deal worth the price of entry as someone who bought VTM and VMR previously ....he is basically sticking one finger up to me as far as i can tell so I'm done with slate. Sorry for again for off topic rant.
I feel you. Unfortunately this was something to except when the move was to subscription model.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doom64 ➑️
I set it up like a real studio would.

Tracks:

2" 16-track machine, FG9 tape at 15 IPS. Normal bias 9 times out of 10.

Noise all the way down...I save noise level for mastering.

Wow and flutter at 40-50%. 25% if I am going for a super clean recording. Bass alignment at zero

Master buss:

I use VTM as my last plugin. I simulate recording my mixdown to tape and then sending that reel "to the mastering engineer" which is usually me. But that's how all my favorite music was mixed down/mastered and having some extra VTM doesn't hurt things.

1/2" machine
FG 9 tape
15 ips usually but if I am going for a pristine recording I will go to 30 IPS.
Bias ALWAYS on normal.

Bass alignment is on a case by case basis.

Then, I will mix down the files. I'll then take that file, drop it into a new "mastering session". VCC mix buss as my first plugin, VTM 1/2" tape as my second to last (usually with the meter at "0" this time around), set my VTM noise level (sometimes I won't have any noise...other times it will audible) and finally a brickwall limiter as the very last plugin.

The key for me is using this plugin in conjunction with the Virtual Console collection. I record my tracks very clean and use plugins to add the character. I'd love to have the fancy gear that plugins emulate but high end clients aren't my customers. Maybe one day...or if I win Power Ball!
Thanks for the thorough explanation!

I find it a bit surprising that you use the VTM twice at mixdown/mastering. My process is quite similar as yours but I use 30 ips always. I tend to work on orchestral stuff so I want the results to be clean and definition to be good.

My process:

Channels:

FG9, 30 ips, Bias normal, input + 3db

Mixbuss:

FG9, 30 ips, Bias normal, input depending of the source.
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Well, so what are the two plugins a new user should buy today ? It's only 1 day left...

I was thinking VTM + VMR. Am i right ?
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by freudes ➑️
Well, so what are the two plugins a new user should buy today ? It's only 1 day left...

I was thinking VTM + VMR. Am i right ?
Funny thing you asked, because just yesterday I was thinking what would be the two plugins I would recommend for a new user!

After thinking this for a quite some time, I would say VCC + Custom Series Bundle.

But this also depends what you already have.
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Funny thing you asked, because just yesterday I was thinking what would be the two plugins I would recommend for a new user!

After thinking this for a quite some time, I would say VCC + Custom Series Bundle.

But this also depends what you already have.
Doh !

What to do what to do
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by freudes ➑️
Doh !

What to do what to do
I recommended VCC because it is less radical than VTM, but still effective. Also it is almost impossible to get bad sound with Custom series.
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOLOSONIX ➑️
+1000 on this. I own every SD plugin plus SS Drums. I got 6 months of free subscription and that's it. And the new guy gets everything (including LX480) for $299/year. I was gonna buy the Custom EQ as my last purchase from SD but he promo price was a dissappointment.
Glad to know its not just me then

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOLOSONIX ➑️
+1000 on this. I own every SD plugin plus SS Drums. I got 6 months of free subscription and that's it. And the new guy gets everything (including LX480) for $299/year. I was gonna buy the Custom EQ as my last purchase from SD but he promo price was a dissappointment.
yes... but the new guy has to KEEP paying that money. You don't.

You've already got the good stuff... or would you have preferred to be a subscriber ? So access to the new stuff comes in under the deal?

I wonder if Slate will address this.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Haven't used VTM for quite awhile until very recently.
Forgotten how good it sounds.
I'm now using it again as the last plugin in my chain on the 2-buss.
Old 1st December 2015 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by narcoman ➑️
yes... but the new guy has to KEEP paying that money. You don't.

You've already got the good stuff... or would you have preferred to be a subscriber ? So access to the new stuff comes in under the deal?

I wonder if Slate will address this.
Yes, I'd like to subscribe for all the new stuff starting from october 2015. I do not wan't to pay twice for something I already have.
Old 1st December 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by satissounds ➑️
No love for 16 track?
Old 12th June 2016 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Slate ➑️
Hi Rick. The jh24 is a very unique and rocking machine that sounds very different than the machines we replicated in the VTM. I really want to model a jh24 and am seeking one in good condition so check your pm.

I'm really happy that you folks are liking the vtm. We really wanted to end the debate on getting the analog tape sound in the daw, and I truly feel like we succeeded. I love this plugin not just as a developer, but as a musician, audio engineer, and analog tape enthusiast!

Cheers,
Steven
Would you consider adding a power-stack button that duplicates the entire processing as many times as required, similar to duplicating a bunch of linked instances of the vst in a chain, but more stable. You could power stack maybe 20 of them on one track for a perfect 60s emulation on a very powerful computer. Vtm is the only one that stacks to sound vintage well, satin certainly cant!
Old 6th May 2019 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by satissounds ➑️

The same happend to me. Last night while lying in bed, I thought, why not using a tape emu on my piano tracks as I did so often. The idea I had, was to achieve a really clear and deep piano sound, so I didnt use any tape emu, but the VTM with F9 and 15" speed , low bias, gives such a subtle deepness which is quite amazing, but still on the clean side.

Weiss Compressor, then VTM , then TVerb, really brilliant, even 7 years after it came to the market.

For jazz, boogie and blues piano stuff, I like J37 really much, also Kramer MPX.
Old 7th May 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Thanks for the tips !
Old 14th May 2019
mdr
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
For tape I currently use Softube Tape whose character and features I like more than I liked vtm.
Years ago I was both a slate subscriber for around a year and also bought vmr expanded, vtm and vcc.
At some point I found alternatives that sounded better to my ears and I gave my slate licenses away.
Old 14th May 2019 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdr ➑️
For tape I currently use Softube Tape whose character and features I like more than I liked vtm.
Years ago I was both a slate subscriber for around a year and also bought vmr expanded, vtm and vcc.
At some point I found alternatives that sounded better to my ears and I gave my slate licenses away.

That was an idea I had too to sell it if I dont use it, but after this surprising experience in combination with the Weiss comp, I am pretty happy that I still got the VTM. The biggest problem is, that you can 't compare different tape machines 1:1. A modern Studer A80 is a complete other thing like an old J37 as used in the 60th and 70th in the Abbey Road studios. The Kramer MPX is emulating even an older machine from the 50ths. For shure that Softube will have a nice tape emu too. Also it depends on the material you are working on. If I had to mix a rock album, I d take probably the Waves J37, or Kramer MPX.
πŸ“ Reply