Quantcast
Impressed by Slate Digital VTM (virtual tape machines) - Page 5 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Impressed by Slate Digital VTM (virtual tape machines)
Old 16th April 2013
Myr
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I'd love a channel strip, or some sort of comp/eq update to VCC.
Old 16th April 2013
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by iMacCartney ➡️
I managed to solve this.
Good news.
Updated iLok drivers?
Old 16th April 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatworld ➡️
Good news.
Updated iLok drivers?
No, I'd say user error as always. I removed the component from the folder, opened Logic, put that component back to the folder, opened AU manager, rescanned and put the tick in the box. For some reason, Logic did not validate VTM?
Old 19th April 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
is vtm working with logic yet?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by loaf ➡️
is vtm working with logic yet?
Yes
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
gui problem fixed?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by loaf ➡️
gui problem fixed?
Not for me. I just DL'd the latest release and it is still crashing/freezing in Samplitude 11.2.1 WinXP 32bit.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
ah well, UAD win again..
Old 20th April 2013
Slate Pro Audio / Slate Digital

🎧 10 years
Loaf have you contacted support? I just mixed a killer track in Logic using 32 instances of VTM without any issue. Sounded awesome.

Cheers,
Steven
Old 20th April 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Slate ➡️
Loaf have you contacted support? I just mixed a killer track in Logic using 32 instances of VTM without any issue. Sounded awesome.

Cheers,
Steven
Hi steven,

no, nothing unusual about my system, just imac latest system software, logic latest version, you open one vtm and it just slows the system so much you can't do anything
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Ashley ➡️
Not for me. I just DL'd the latest release and it is still crashing/freezing in Samplitude 11.2.1 WinXP 32bit.
You may not want to hear this, but maybe it's time to upgrade OS and/or Samp version? VTM is working smoothly here on Samplitude ProX 64-bit (12.2.1.180) and Win 7, running in 64 bits. A plugin ideally should support older versions of OS and DAW, but I think it's reasonable to expect the best results on the current OS and DAW versions.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foldedpath ➡️
You may not want to hear this, but maybe it's time to upgrade OS and/or Samp version? VTM is working smoothly here on Samplitude ProX 64-bit (12.2.1.180) and Win 7, running in 64 bits. A plugin ideally should support older versions of OS and DAW, but I think it's reasonable to expect the best results on the current OS and DAW versions.
I know....I'm doing a new DAW build this fall - maybe before SD even gets the bug fixed
Old 28th April 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
quick question for steven or anyone else using vtm for that matter. Do you think there would be a benefit of using the vtm on virtual instruments? synths, samplers etc......or do you find it more useful on acoustic instruments?

thanks guys
Old 29th April 2013 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by t-bone ➡️
quick question for steven or anyone else using vtm for that matter. Do you think there would be a benefit of using the vtm on virtual instruments? synths, samplers etc......or do you find it more useful on acoustic instruments?

thanks guys
Dudeeeee it is specially awesome on virtual instruments!

Or anything for that matter

It gives vsti's life...
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneTape ➡️
Dudeeeee it is specially awesome on virtual instruments!

Or anything for that matter

It gives vsti's life...

hows the cpu usage on this?
do you use it on every channel?
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
hows the cpu usage on this?
do you use it on every channel?
I just print the tracks with vtm and vcc on them.

If not i just use it on busses.

Sometimes ill have 10 instances no problem... sometimes is the keyword there
Old 29th April 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Is anybody else getting a sizable boost in volume when engaging VTM? I'm constantly having to unlink the controls and reduce the output in order to do accurate A/B comparisons, find myself using it less and less as time goes on.
Old 29th April 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngfreak ➡️
Is anybody else getting a sizable boost in volume when engaging VTM? I'm constantly having to unlink the controls and reduce the output in order to do accurate A/B comparisons, find myself using it less and less as time goes on.
Aye, with how I use it, it's usually about 1db louder
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Beatsmith ➡️
Aye, with how I use it, it's usually about 1db louder
Thing is that since vtm (and vcc for that matter) add saturation you do get a bit of a amplitude boost.

That SHOULDNT at all stop you from using it.

Its not only saturation... these plugs also compress the signal little bit... which i love.
Old 30th April 2013 | Show parent

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Tape saturates. The more you push the input with a linked output, you're essentially using the VTM as a really vibey limiter. So the result is similar.. the perceived loudness will increase.

Cheers,
Steven
Old 1st May 2013 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Slate ➡️
Tape saturates. The more you push the input with a linked output, you're essentially using the VTM as a really vibey limiter. So the result is similar.. the perceived loudness will increase.

Cheers,
Steven
I just put VTM on a drum loop that I recorded earlier today. The loop peaks at -3.7 according to Voxengo SPAN and with VTM engaged (hitting ~0 on the VU) the peak increases to +0.2. That's a 4dB increase which, in my opinion, is quite sizeable. Is this normal behavior or not?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

thanks guys
I use it on voice overs, full mixes, sub=mixes. All over...

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I just put VTM on a drum loop that I recorded earlier today. The loop peaks at -3.7 according to Voxengo SPAN and with VTM engaged (hitting ~0 on the VU) the peak increases to +0.2. That's a 4dB increase which, in my opinion, is quite sizeable. Is this normal behavior or not?
Were you crushing it? I usually get a perceived loudness of about .5db with VTM engaged if the material isn't slamming...

Steven
Old 1st December 2013 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
I have an issue with VTM in 64 BIT Ableton. I have an extra folder for 64 Bits VSTs. I have installed VCC the same way. VCC Plugin appears after scanning. VTM doesn´t appear. Can someone help or had someone the same issue? Thanks :mrgreen:
Old 31st December 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Didn't want to start a new thread so I'll post here... I was so blown away by the VTM that after I kept reading that the UAD Ampex edges the VTM in some cases; I bit the bullet, bought a UAD Quad Satellite off eBay and bought the Ampex... I've not given it much time but as an instant reaction, I feel like the VTM goes on and is instantly beautiful sounding - like I can play with the parameters a bit but it just sounds great from the get-go; especially the highs; it seems to melt them down - where they punch the same - but now exist in this creamy field of high end frequencies... With the Ampex; I can hear it's having an effect but I'm unsure whether I like what it is doing too much. With the myriad of options the Ampex offers, I will have to have a good session messing with it and of course, it depends on the source (I'm using and comparing both over the mix) - I am sure after some time with the Ampex, I will find it's sweet spots but for now; I feel a little lost with it.

With that in mind; any tips for urban / experimental / ambient type stuff (high highs and very low lows) with the Ampex; any starting points? Tape type / speed / etc ??
Old 20th January 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Do you get a notice when there's an update? How do people deal with updates anyway? Very few companies seem to inform the users about it.
Old 20th January 2014 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Everytime I reopen a session with one or more instances of VTM loaded and I try to open up the GUI my whole session freezes and I have to restart the daw and sometimes the whole computer.
Im on Cubase and PC and when I talked to support about it they said they where aware of the bug but that was in the summer and nothing new has happened.
I just want to warn people about this because it actually makes the plugin useless for me.
I feel like they should put in some more effort in bug-fixing than releasing new products.
As much as I love the sound Im starting to be very disturbed by this companys way of running things.
Old 21st January 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rill spector ➡️
Everytime I reopen a session with one or more instances of VTM loaded and I try to open up the GUI my whole session freezes and I have to restart the daw and sometimes the whole computer.
Im on Cubase and PC and when I talked to support about it they said they where aware of the bug but that was in the summer and nothing new has happened.
I just want to warn people about this because it actually makes the plugin useless for me.
I feel like they should put in some more effort in bug-fixing than releasing new products.
As much as I love the sound Im starting to be very disturbed by this companys way of running things.
Same problem here, but I´ve seen it both on Logic and Cubase(on the mac mavericks).

The UI stops responding, it just plays and you cant do anything. If you´re lucky it will respond after a long while, but I have had to reboot (without the chance of saving ofc).

Makes me a little bit nervous every time I open the interface. Not happening all the time.

cheers
Old 21st January 2014 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Feels kind of unprofessional For a plugin in that pricerange does it not?
Any word out when or if there will be an update?
Old 21st January 2014
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Same here - in logic. It always resolves after a minute or so.
📝 Reply