Quantcast
Impressed by Slate Digital VTM (virtual tape machines) - Page 3 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Impressed by Slate Digital VTM (virtual tape machines)
Old 24th February 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by djanthonyw ➑️
I'll take Nebula. Sounds just as good, if not better, and no dongle.
As much as I want try vtm, the dongle.....But my resistance is getting weak.
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
I have them all, Waves Kramer, UAD studer & Ampex, Slate VTM. I do not like Kramer much, itΒ΄s more a fuzz effect. The UADs are great and especially the Ampex can be used to change the sound a lot. The strengths of VTM is the subtle stuff, in that regard it sounds a little bit more "expensive" to me, it is the least grainy sounding, it does the best job of calming the transients in a tape like way without adding fuzz. However the difference between UAD and VTM is not too drastic. People need to realize that tape sound is no magic bullet anyway, it is a subtle thing and a subtle improvement if used right. ItΒ΄s not gonna turn something mediocre into "holy sh*t THAT is how they do it!!!"
Deleted 33f544e
Also...the different emu's are NOT comparing apples to apples...as with real analog machines, the emu's all sound different. No two analog machines, even the same model, will be exactly the same. I believe the emulations are as close to the actual tape decks they were modeled after.

Now...if we are comparing the same feature sets, that may be a different thing all together.
Old 24th February 2013
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
No they all model different machines but the quality level is apparent to me.
If it were the goal to make vanilla icecream, the UADs would be fantastic flavour. The Slate would be that one moment where you realize that this can still be topped by that organic natural vanilla icecream you get only in that one special place even though you thought it won't get any better than UAD. The Kramer? Tastes like yellow icecream.
Old 24th February 2013

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pucks ➑️
Could be - but it was the way I used to work in my recording studio.

Let's say you record a singer:
  1. Microphone goes to >
  2. Console input - passes gain & EQ, patched to Console Tape output >
  3. Recorder Tape input - Tape output >
  4. Console input (and from there to the master section)

If this is strange to you, I have done my job for thirty years totally wrong. But it sounded not bad according to my clients back in the 1980's...
You misunderstand...the question was about the vtm emulating the master 1/2", not about tracking...after the 1/2" comes mastering!

Hence the reason no-ones understanding what you're talking about.
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey ➑️
You misunderstand...
I did! Apologies.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Slate ➑️
Don't know which is plugin or which is hardware, but I definitely prefered tape1, 2 and 3 to 1a, 2a, 3a...... there is a distinct difference in the sound of the snare to my ears.

rsp
Old 20th March 2013 | Show parent
GMR
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sotsirc ➑️
According to "rule book" it's VCC, then VTM. That's how it happens in real life, the signal goes out the stereo bus of the console and onto the two track tape machine.
I think it would the other way around, you recorded the track with the pre of your choice going into daw, then plays off the tape going into your console for mixing!!! that's the way I do it !!!
Old 20th March 2013

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMR ➑️
I think it would the other way around, you recorded the track with the pre of your choice going into daw, then plays off the tape going into your console for mixing!!! that's the way I do it !!!
Once more for the hard of reading they're talking about the 1/2" emulation on the mixbuss - in which case console to tape is the "correct" way.
Old 22nd March 2013 | Show parent
GMR
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
ooops my bad!!!
was tired when I read that !!!
Old 22nd March 2013 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by djanthonyw ➑️
I'll take Nebula. Sounds just as good, if not better, and no dongle.
Darth Vader Approves !

Nebula sounds so sexy! DAYUMMMNN
Old 11th April 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Sotsirc
The "standard" way if using these plugins is VTM+VCC on individual channels, and VCC mixbus + VTM 2 track on master bus.

Quote:
Steven Slate
Placed on all your tracks and mixbuss, it can add some amazing vibe, depth, harmonic warmth, and can really smooth out the harsh frequencies on the top end without making the music dull. And like tape, it achieves this without trying to sound gimmicky or artificial.
Hi all,

I don't know how you guys do to have VTM on all or almost all tracks and busses. I have Mac Pro with 12 cores and 16Gb of RAM with RME FF800 but i can't have more than 3 instances of VTM. I don't know if i am missing something . Would you help me with?
By the way i like it

Thanks
Old 11th April 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoyenChari ➑️
Hi all,

I don't know how you guys do to have VTM on all or almost all tracks and busses. I have Mac Pro with 12 cores and 16Gb of RAM with RME FF800 but i can't have more than 3 instances of VTM. I don't know if i am missing something . Would you help me with?
By the way i like it

Thanks
weird! I'm on an older i5 Quad I built a while back.. I'm setting up a tune now.
I have about 9 VTM on drums plus VCC.. VTM+VCC on bass and about 4 VTM+VCC on few gtr's and VCC buss+VTM sitting on my 2buss.

It's getting a little heavy.. but I'm in Reaper. once I get the balance/color on kit and bass I want I freeze them.. then I can add comps/EQ I want.

only getting 3 sounds like a pain.. I don't understand why on a 12core that's all you're getting.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Hi all,

By the way i like it

Thanks
With that computer, you are doing something seriously wrong!

Are you using those as a first insert in the all tracks and the last in the stereo buss? Do you use the half inch version in the stereo buss?
Old 11th April 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Hi,
i actually want to use it on every tracks but i can't. So i only put on the stereo bus. Is there any particular setting i should check in my computer?

@Faderjockey, yes it is wierd because some time even with an empty project i have that issue; my CPU meter goes to red.

@Leevi, i try every thing to understand why but i don't see where the mistake may come from :(

i really want to sort it out...
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Hi,
i actually want to use it on every tracks but i can't. So i only put on the stereo bus. Is there any particular setting i should check in my computer?

@Faderjockey, yes it is wierd because some time even with an empty project i have that issue; my CPU meter goes to red.

@Leevi, i try every thing to understand why but i don't see where the mistake may come from :(

what interface.. and what is your buffer set at? what DAW?
Old 11th April 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
@ Faderjockey, i use RME FF800 with Logic pro 9. i try the buffer set to 1024 to see but it does not help much.
Old 11th April 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Have you tried to repair permission with disk utility? Is your OS working fine? Having problems with other programs? Have you tried to re-install Logic?
Old 11th April 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Leevi
Isyour OS working fine?
yes the OS working fine so far.
Quote:
Leevi
Having problems with other programs?
I don't have problems with other programs.

Quote:
Leevi
Have you tried to repair permission with disk utility?
No, i did not. Ok i will try it this evening

Quote:
Leevi
Have you tried to re-install Logic?
Old 11th April 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Leevi
Have you tried to re-install Logic?
No, i did not.
Old 11th April 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Do you have problems with other plugins? Do you have the latest drivers for RME?
Old 11th April 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Leevi
Do you have problems with other plugins? Do you have the latest drivers for RME?
I don't have issue with other plugins. Yes, i installed the latedt drivers for RME and iLok.
Old 11th April 2013

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I don't have issue with other plugins. Yes, i installed the latedt drivers for RME and iLok.
I suggest you file a support ticket with slate then - your system is really underperforming, but if you get CPU spikes with empty sessions, may well not be vtm at fault.
Old 11th April 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
psycho_monkey
but if you get CPU spikes with empty sessions, may well not be vtm at fault.
I mean i created a project with empty tracks and when i loaded more than 3 TVM instances the CPU goes to red. i.e: i created new project with 5 tracks. if i load TVM on each track the CPU goes to red.

I have projects with more that 80 tracks including audio as well as VSTi and convolution plugs, and i did not encounter that issue :(
Old 11th April 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
I'm on a MacBook Pro i7 and it can't handle too many instances of VTM. I usually get as far as I can in my mix with the RTAS version of VTM on as many tracks as I need it, and when I starting peaking out my CPU I copy all the settings into audio suite versions of VTM (in a different playlist). Works pretty well.
Old 11th April 2013
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
VTM seems to freeze logic on my 2011 imac (only 4GB ram though) - it's a temporary freeze (a minute or so usually) and I've never lost data but it's frustrating. Caveat is I'm no expert at computers to say the least, havnt interfered with any settings etc...
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Hi,

Does you CPU meter go red in one core or all of them. (Double click the meter so you can see all cores). Do you have software instrument track active in the arrange window? If so, activate audio track when playbacking.
GMR
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
hmm ... i'm on a quad core 9550 and I run at least 10 instances of VTM plus VCC, relab and I don't have problems. I will say my system is tweaked to perform
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMR ➑️
hmm ... i'm on a quad core 9550 and I run at least 10 instances of VTM plus VCC, relab and I don't have problems. I will say my system is tweaked to perform
Does VTM use more CPU than VCC?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by iMacCartney ➑️
Does VTM use more CPU than VCC?
Yes. Way more in my experience. But it sounds amazing. I mostly use it on the 2buss.
πŸ“ Reply