Noise Suppressors (NS1) - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Noise Suppressors (NS1)
Old 16th September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Noise Suppressors (NS1)

Hey all:

I'm a newly hired sound designer that is poor and in a pickle, can the NS1 help me out? I have a boat load of sfx that all have a lot of noise. I was looking at X-Noise and Z-noise and whatnot, but I don't have $500 to spend right now. I know the difference between them all, but $99 for something I i think will work for my application would be great. Any thoughts. Is there a cheap (under $200) way to get rid of noise, or is NS1 worth it, and will it work in my situations? I also have the Waves Platinum Bundle, and I heard that with C4, you can take a lot out. I'm going to demo NS1 now, but any thoughts on this would be great!!
Old 16th September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
NS1 is really useful - it works very, very well - and will get you faster results than fiddling around with X-Noise or Z-Noise.

You should also check out W43: it gives a little more control than NS1 and is especially good at reducing mechanical background noises.

Meanwhile I've always found WNS quite difficult to calibrate but your mileage may vary.

Whilst it's true that multiband compressors like C4 can be used for noise reduction, that only really works if you very carefully calibrate the frequencies and thresholds for each type of sound you're processing -- it won't suit your workflow if you're trying to save time.
Old 16th September 2012 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Thanks for the reply. I'm not so worried about workflow and time, as price. WNS is cool, W43 looks more up my alley right now, but NS1 is half the price, and at the risk of sounding cheap, $100 goes long way with food at the moment. But is W43 $100 better than NS1. I need to spend sparingly, but I don't want to go out and buy a redundant W43 if I have the NS1 down the road. For me its a judgement call finically at the moment, but I need your judgement too.
Old 16th September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
The W43 does something more specific than NS1, but in a more flexible way. NS1 is more of a Swiss Army Knife, but there will be some situations where it's not flexible enough to get the best results.

Both are professional tools, and the simplicity of NS1 doesn't mean it's lower quality.

Could you demo both and try them on your material? It's hard to say whether W43 would give you $100 more value because it depends what it can do for your material.

Feel free to PM me if you'd like me to run some of your material through both plugins for a quick comparison.
Old 16th September 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
. Having used both of the other Waves nr plugins I think NS1 is useful in the vast majority of the cases I have used Xnoise & Znoise. Given the cost I'd say it's a no brainier personally...

You CAN demo NS1 and if you have any questions feel free to ask
Old 17th September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Thanks do the input you two, I knew I could count on you slutz. I did demo NS1 and used it on a few sounds for a little show that opened tonight. I'll be working all this week on a mug more involved show, so I'll try to record and mix as much as possible this week before my demo runs out. I am in love with the NS1. It gets the job done, but I could definitely see where a W43 would be more helpful. Good news is that my theatre company way be able to fully or partially reimburse me for it, so I maybe able to get the W43, or maybe the whole post bundle!!! Thanks again guys.
Old 17th September 2012
GCL
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I have the W43 and Z Noise, but just bought the NS1 after a quick demo. So far it's proving to be the most useful and effective of all of them. Quick to use too.
Old 17th September 2012 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicleB76 ➑️
Thanks do the input you two, I knew I could count on you slutz. I did demo NS1 and used it on a few sounds for a little show that opened tonight. I'll be working all this week on a mug more involved show, so I'll try to record and mix as much as possible this week before my demo runs out. I am in love with the NS1. It gets the job done, but I could definitely see where a W43 would be more helpful. Good news is that my theatre company way be able to fully or partially reimburse me for it, so I maybe able to get the W43, or maybe the whole post bundle!!! Thanks again guys.
You're welcome. Good luck with the job.
Old 26th September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Just a little update. Talked the theatre into buying me W43 and I love it. NS1 was nice, but since they would spring for this, I took them up on their offer for the W43. And I'm in love!
πŸ“ Reply