Quantcast
How to fix old files with Digital Clipping - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
How to fix old files with Digital Clipping
Old 15th September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
How to fix old files with Digital Clipping

I have some old guitar tracks that, unfortunately, i recorded to hot and got some clipping, ... are these salvageable ? Can I fix with some edit mode and still use for final output.

I primarily use Logic Pro 9 now and would like to bring them into this app.

I used to use ----- and recorded those tracks in Pro Tools.

Any tips or thoughts are appreciated.
Old 15th September 2012
BM0
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
You just need an audio editor that can zoom into a clipping point so that you can select it and delete. If Logic Pro includes a wave editor, it may even be able to do it. I use Sound Forge to remove clipping. It has a clip detector, but I have removed clipping manually with it before. I imagine there are free editors out there that automate removal of clipping.
Old 15th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
back in the "old" days , I was producing a record that had a bad gate on a distorted bass, that would make digital sounding clicks on every attack, and with threshold noisefloor bumps. I was using a 4 channel protools setup, and basically loaded all those tracks into "Sound Designer", and by hand, at every offending transient, would use the pencil tool to draw/smooth out the offending click. Worked great, but took forever. The only real way to do it back then. You could take that approach if there are only a few moments or tracks, having that manual control if nice,

but that said, in more recent years I dug up some old tracks with mellotrons that had a huge noise floor (ground hum etc), and Bias's soft soap (?), did a very good job, if used carefully as it lost some high end luster...

but that that said: I was at a friends studio recently, and there was a track with similar problems, and the new Izotope RX suite worked on it unbelievably. I was blown away by how easy it made it. An expensive solution, but maybe you have a friend that owns it, and can apply it on the track pretty quickly....

good luck!
Old 15th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by BM0 ➑️
You just need an audio editor that can zoom into a clipping point so that you can select it and delete.
If you do it this way, make sure you are working from a COPY of the OG file, as it will erase time. It's best to do this and the above means i described with a copy as it IS destructive editing, and you can't go back.

I believe Audacity will do this, and it is free.
Old 16th September 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
try this:

1. copy the track.
2. apply a low pass filter to the copy till the distorted parts sound less harsh.
3. cut both tracks where the clipping occurs.
4. delete the clipped parts on the original track and move the filtered parts in their place.
5. apply crossfades

i was able to cure some severe clipping on vocal and guitar recordings this way, but it takes some time.
Old 16th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
one thing you can do is run the guitar through a virtual amp plugin; obviously you have to be willing to alter the sound a great deal, but even a clean virtual amp setting should be enough to filter the audible clipping from the signal.
Old 16th September 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Terry West Productions V.O.F.

1st one on the page it's called ReLife.
Old 16th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
SoundForge has a built-in "Detect Clipping" and "Clipped Peak Restoration" functions. I haven't used them myself, and therefore I am unsure how good they are.
Old 16th September 2012

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
moved to "music computers" for more responses
Old 5th October 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Thanks to all replies I will do some research on this
Old 5th October 2012

🎧 10 years
Demo RX from Izotope. The declipper is pretty good. Not perfect but still works better than not having it.
πŸ“ Reply