The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
850$ PC or Mac Mini
Old 21st September 2012 | Show parent
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvsky ➡️
I found an old keyboard and mouse lying around , a old 14' 4"3 screen (due to lack of space in the studio , a widescreen wouldnt fit on the monitor platform with the mac mini monitor already there)
You can use the same monitor for two computers using something called a KVM (keyboard, visual, mouse) switch. This can also send keyboard and mouse info to two different computers over USB A connectors. Save money and desk space

Newegg.com - Rosewill RKV-4UC 4 Port USB Cable KVM, 0.9m Cable Built with Speaker MIC Remote Flip Button
Old 21st September 2012 | Show parent
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grahamdwc ➡️
As i say if your system is set up correctly (including making regular backups) then it really shouldn't have to worry about crash's regardless on which platform you choose.

But simply dismissing one platform because of human error (not making backups etc) seems just a bit myopic.

I have used both (solely just as Daw) + i really didn't notice much difference, both great, both just tools.

@OP Imho....the Mac mini is a lot of power considering the small form factor and the keen price for a refurb machine.

Atb,
Graham
How can I back up while I am recording? Or mixing? If I have saved it, it is fine, but I can't save while I am recording. Do you have any suggestions on how to make my system not crash as often?
Old 26th September 2012 | Show parent
Manufacturer contact @ GS

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunjji ➡️
How can I back up while I am recording? Or mixing? If I have saved it, it is fine, but I can't save while I am recording. Do you have any suggestions on how to make my system not crash as often?
Set up auto save (Its not going to stop whats causing the crashes but should help to ease your mind a little.)
Im sure most Daw should have it built in now.

But if your system continually crashes, as you say, you'd be better off finding out for yourself , starting with what ever you have connected to the Pc (drivers etc and going from there) to find what part of the system is causing the conflict.

For the last time now, as its getting a bit monotonous, no matter what system you use if it is set up correctly there is little room for crashes to occur.

I sincerely hope you find a solution.

Best,
Graham
Old 2nd October 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Longtime PC user here.
Just about to pick up a used Mac mini server.
First mac I've ever owned. But I use them everyday at work.
I want something small, yet powerful. And I have yet to see a hackintosh
the size of a Mac mini, that will have the hardware specs a mini has, for a price that makes sense messing around.

And when I mean hardware, I am including the FireWire, thunderbolt, dual monitor option and Bluetooth stuff.

You can pick up used Mac mini servers between 800-900.
📝 Reply