The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Please help me Choose!
Old 15th September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Please help me Choose!

Hi everyone,

I know this has been asked many times here, but I need to expose my case
and try to get an answer for my particular situation.

I'm pianist, singer and use mostly Cubase, with my external M-audio Profire 610
(firewire) sound. I move a lot and need to buy a laptop to use it for my Music,
but I watch lot of HD movies and like to have a fun good laptop for entertainment purposes at the same time. Most of the time when away from home I use the profire just to record one track (microphone) with already recorded tracks (music) to do live singing or record singing and for this no need for lot of power! But back at home I use heavy piano VST.

I am hesitating between:

1- the new Macbook Pro with retina display :

a-can I use the profire with it with the thunderbolt to usb adopter?
b-can it handle without the profire any asio recording my one vocal track in cuabse alone?
c-what do you think of it in general?

2-HP 8560w:

I read its good, but it's around 2000$ when Macbookpro is 2300$
which one you would pick? (and bad thing it has no HDMI out :( )

3-is there anything better you can recommend?

I can pay up to 2300$

Thanks for your help, I really need it to make a decision!
Old 15th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I use an HP Elitebook and it's the best laptop I've ever had. It's built to certified military standards, which means actually better than the MBP. The 1920x1080 resolution (full HD) is gorgeous, retina won't do much when it comes to music, and on a 15" screen you really can't see the difference.

It also depends on the DAW you're using. Of course with Logic you have no choice, but Cubase, for example, runs much better in Windows 7 x64. Also, the FW ports on the Elitebooks actually work with FW interfaces, without the need for an express card.

BTW, isn't the 8560w an old Sandy Bridge model? I think what you want is the 8570w, this guy:

HP EliteBook 8570w Mobile Workstation (ENERGY STAR) - | Official HP

Of course if you find a used/refurbished Sandy Bridge model, it will be almost as good and you'll save a considerable amount of money (I've seen refurbs go for $1,700 or less.)

BTW, don't worry about HDMI, all you need is an adapter for the Display Port. Or a DP to HDMI cable.
Old 15th September 2012 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
the two MBP and 8570w are almost at same price. MBP comes with
2.6GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 and 8570 with 2.3GHz quad.
MBP 256gig SDD and HP with 180gig SDD
same amount of memory but MBP little faster.

one Important question is can i get same HD out
quality with the adapter as if I had hdmi out?
because I watch a movie every night when away
with my laptop and need this real bad!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul in SoCal ➡️
I use an HP Elitebook and it's the best laptop I've ever had. It's built to certified military standards, which means actually better than the MBP. The 1920x1080 resolution (full HD) is gorgeous, retina won't do much when it comes to music, and on a 15" screen you really can't see the difference.

It also depends on the DAW you're using. Of course with Logic you have no choice, but Cubase, for example, runs much better in Windows 7 x64. Also, the FW ports on the Elitebooks actually work with FW interfaces, without the need for an express card.

BTW, isn't the 8560w an old Sandy Bridge model? I think what you want is the 8570w, this guy:

HP EliteBook 8570w Mobile Workstation (ENERGY STAR) - | Official HP

Of course if you find a used/refurbished Sandy Bridge model, it will be almost as good and you'll save a considerable amount of money (I've seen refurbs go for $1,700 or less.)

BTW, don't worry about HDMI, all you need is an adapter for the Display Port. Or a DP to HDMI cable.
Old 15th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Keep in mind that the MBPr does not have a DVD drive, FW port, or Ethernet port. You will need a TB>FW adapter for your profire, and a TB>Ethernet adapter if you use any kind of ethernet connected control surface.
Old 16th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdy ➡️

one Important question is can i get same HD out
quality with the adapter as if I had hdmi out?
because I watch a movie every night when away
with my laptop and need this real bad!
It's absolutely identical. The adapter/cable doesn't do anything to the signal.

A couple of tips about Elitebooks:

1. You can find better prices than buying direct from HP (Google is your friend...)
2. Get a bare-bone system and expand it with third-party products. Huge money savings and huge advantage over the MBP (which has the RAM soldered on its mobo.)

BTW, the 2.6 Ghz MBP costs $2,799. For $2,199 you get a 2.3 Ghz CPU, which I'm pretty sure it's the same as that in the 8570w (i7-3610QM.)

http://www.apple.com/macbook-pro/specs/
Old 16th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Here's another option for you:

8760w (Sandy Bridge) with twice the RAM (16 gb) for $1,500:

HP Elitebook 8760w Laptop, i7-2670QM, 16GB RAM, 256 SSD | eBay

This is actually what I use. I bought it last year for well over $2,000. Consider that the 8570w will only be 10-15% faster than this machine. Also a 17" Elitebook has the great advantage of having up to three internal HD's (two in the 15" models.)

(I am not in any way connected to that auction, feel free to look for other bargains on EBay.)
Old 16th September 2012
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Get a regular MBP, the lower end 15 inch one, and upgrade that with third party ram and/or a SSD.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunjji ➡️
Get a regular MBP, the lower end 15 inch one, and upgrade that with third party ram and/or a SSD.
Well, he wants to output full-HD video (1920x1080) to a flat screen via HDMI and the regular MBP doesn't do more than 1440x900. Besides, he uses Cubase, which runs much better in Win 7 x64.
Old 16th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I'll give you another option.
Lenovo W530 is on sale, and the base model (Intel i7 3720QM) is around $1200. W530 doesn't have expresscard slot (anymore), so it's hard to use profire 610. But, with the money, you can upgrade your interface to RME Babyface. W530 has lots of upgrade options, but you can install Crucial M4 SSD and aftermarket RAM modules really easy. Since you don't need many input channels, Babyface is a perfect fit, with low latency (and expandable via ADAT if you want to).
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Simply choose 2.6GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7 here and get it for $2,299
Configure - Apple Store (U.S.)

btw lots of my questions remain unanswered. are any of these laptops able to handle one track (only microphone + Reverb) recording correctly without
delay or dropout with its internal sound card (without My profire)

It's seem that no one proposes anything other then the MBP Retina and 8570w . This is good as choice is between 2 laptops!

I have to decide fast now :(

If i go hp I have to take one of these and don't see the differents!!
http://shopping1.hp.com/is-bin/INTER...mpare-Dispatch

I let you guys choose for me between one of these two hp's and the MBP retina!

Quote:
It's absolutely identical. The adapter/cable doesn't do anything to the signal.

A couple of tips about Elitebooks:

1. You can find better prices than buying direct from HP (Google is your friend...)
2. Get a bare-bone system and expand it with third-party products. Huge money savings and huge advantage over the MBP (which has the RAM soldered on its mobo.)

BTW, the 2.6 Ghz MBP costs $2,799. For $2,199 you get a 2.3 Ghz CPU, which I'm pretty sure it's the same as that in the 8570w (i7-3610QM.)

Apple - MacBook Pro with Retina display - Technical Specifications
Old 16th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Actually you can configure an Elitebook just as well, if you crave for the 2.6 or 2.7 Ghz CPUs.

HP's Small & Medium Business Online Store

BTW, the 8570w comes with a 20% discount e-coupon (considering the price tag, we're talking a hefty $500 less) :

Have it your way... and save!

Yes, you can record using the internal sound, and if's live 2-track stereo, there will be no latency/delay. But the quality will be nowhere near that of a dedicated interface, regardless of which laptop you buy.
Old 17th September 2012 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
heh ok No one here goes for the MBP! you all want me to get the HP!
I would have bought the MBP but if you say HP let's do it!

Paul in SoCal I hope the discount works for Canada too! **** this laptops
looks bad and display is 1600x900, but must be good if you all like it this much!

Quote:
Actually you can configure an Elitebook just as well, if you crave for the 2.6 or 2.7 Ghz CPUs.

BTW, the 8570w comes with a 20% discount e-coupon (considering the price tag, we're talking a hefty $500 less) :

Have it your way... and save!

Yes, you can record using the internal sound, and if's live 2-track stereo, there will be no latency/delay. But the quality will be nowhere near that of a dedicated interface, regardless of which laptop you buy.
Old 17th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
heh ok No one here goes for the MBP! you all want me to get the HP!
I would have bought the MBP but if you say HP let's do it!

Paul in SoCal I hope the discount works for Canada too! **** this laptops
looks bad and display is 1600x900, but must be good if you all like it this much!
Resolution is also configurable, under "display." You definitely want the 1920x1080. I noticed that if you want the 2.6 Ghz CPU it's only going to cost you an extra $75.

Quote:
I hope the discount works for Canada too!
Well, the e-coupon page does mention Canada:

"To take advantage of limited-time promotions, contact your local HP Financial Services Representative or in the United States, call 1-888-277-5942. In Canada, dial 1-800-HP-LEASE."
Old 17th October 2012 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Today I called HP to order my laptop. The one I choose was B8V72UT#ABA model and its 1000$ off! sounded like a nice promo! but Hp is selling it for 2599$ when other sites sell it 200$ cheaper even without any promo!

here is the link to hp page for this laptop:

are they serious! looks very weird anyway,
Could anyone please point me to a site or shop in U.S to order my elitebook
as HP site looks more like a fraud! You can pm me if you prefer. it will be very nice for me to get your help as I am putting all my hard earned economy in this!

Quote:
Resolution is also configurable, under "display." You definitely want the 1920x1080. I noticed that if you want the 2.6 Ghz CPU it's only going to cost you an extra $75.

Well, the e-coupon page does mention Canada:

"To take advantage of limited-time promotions, contact your local HP Financial Services Representative or in the United States, call 1-888-277-5942. In Canada, dial 1-800-HP-LEASE."
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Well, he wants to output full-HD video (1920x1080) to a flat screen via HDMI and the regular MBP doesn't do more than 1440x900.

Yes it does.

@op get a regular 2.6 GHz MBP and upgrade it from 3rd party. If you decide you're not happy with Mac OS X just install Windows 7 on it.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Could anyone please point me to a site or shop in U.S to order my elitebook
as HP site looks more like a fraud!
You can't be serious. Elitebooks are usually sold to businesses, not to the hipsters who bring their MBP's to Starbucks to show off their overpriced possession and update their FB status. Businesses don't like shenanigans.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by phas3d ➡️

Yes it does.

@op get a regular 2.6 GHz MBP and upgrade it from 3rd party. If you decide you're not happy with Mac OS X just install Windows 7 on it.
No, it does not.

Non-retina MBP resolution: 1440 x 900

Apple - Why You’ll Love a Mac - Compare Mac notebook computers.

And BTW, an Elitebook is built a thousand times better. You can stand on it or sandblast it (see the demo on the HP site), because it's true military-grade. Can you do that with your MBP? Of course not.
Old 17th October 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
That's the resolution of it's own screen it has nothing to do with connecting an external screen. Even with older MBPs you can connect screens with resolution higher than HD. Also, when buying the non retina MBP you can opt for an HD screen.
As for build quality MBP are made from unibody aluminum. That means that all the metal parts are made from the same aluminum chunck and not put in afterwards.
Enough said heh
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
That's the resolution of it's own screen it has nothing to do with connecting an external screen.
Of course it does. Do you have any proof that the external resolution is higher or is it just wishful thinking? Seems pretty strange that MBP's come with two GPU's...

Quote:
Even with older MBPs you can connect screens with resolution higher than HD.
Yes, you can, and the image is then UPSIZED. That happens with EVERY laptop in the world. That doesn't mean the resolution is true Full HD.

Quote:
Also, when buying the non retina MBP you can opt for an HD screen.
Didn't see any of that on the Apple page. Wishful thinking again?

Quote:
As for build quality MBP are made from unibody aluminum. That means that all the metal parts are made from the same aluminum chunck and not put in afterwards.
Enough said heh
Like I said, an Elitebook is built a thousand times better and it's true military-grade. You can drop it, stand on it, spill liquid on it and sandblast it and nothing will happen to it. Now try that with your MBP. You simply can't admit that a non-Apple product could actually be better. You see, for most reasonable people computers are tools, not objects of worship.
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
No, it does not.

Non-retina MBP resolution: 1440 x 900

Apple - Why You’ll Love a Mac - Compare Mac notebook computers.

And BTW, an Elitebook is built a thousand times better. You can stand on it or sandblast it (see the demo on the HP site), because it's true military-grade. Can you do that with your MBP? Of course not.
The mini display port (and the mini displayport to hdmi adapter) supports full hd

Moshi Mini DP to HDMI Adapter with Audio Support - Apple Store (U.S.)
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Of course it does. Do you have any proof that the external resolution is higher or is it just wishful thinking? Seems pretty strange that MBP's come with two GPU's...

Yes, you can, and the image is then UPSIZED. That happens with EVERY laptop in the world. That doesn't mean the resolution is true Full HD.

Didn't see any of that on the Apple page. Wishful thinking again?

Like I said, an Elitebook is built a thousand times better and it's true military-grade. You can drop it, stand on it, spill liquid on it and sandblast it and nothing will happen to it. Now try that with your MBP. You simply can't admit that a non-Apple product could actually be better. You see, for most reasonable people computers are tools, not objects of worship.
That's not true. Before you write about something be sure about it. I've been connecting MBPs to displays with higher resolution than HD for years. And no, the image is is not upsized. That's the only proof I need. I've done it heh

As for the HD screen on the non retina MBP it's there. Just select the 2.6GHz non retina at the apple store and it's one of the options. But unless you were working with video I don't see the point in having a 15 inch HD screen.

I never wrote anything about the build quality of HP products because I don't own one. I do own and have configured many MBP's and if the pre unibody were very sturdy the later are much more. And yes I've seen beaten up MBPs that keep on working.

Why would you sandblast a laptop??? Are you nuts!!!
Old 18th October 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
That's not true. Before you write about something be sure about it. I've been connecting MBPs to displays with higher resolution than HD for years. And no, the image is is not upsized. That's the only proof I need. I've done it heh
Oh yeah, the old "because I said so" that in your fantasy world trumps actual EVIDENCE...
Of course if you knew ANYTHING about computers, you'd realize how ludicrous your claim that the MBP magically increases ACTUAL resolution when connected to an HD screen is... But hey, looking at how people like you distort reality is really fun... No wonder they call it the "reality distortion field"...

Quote:
As for the HD screen on the non retina MBP it's there. Just select the 2.6GHz non retina at the apple store and it's one of the options. But unless you were working with video I don't see the point in having a 15 inch HD screen.
Once again, it's "because I said so." Thanks for the laughs.
Back in the REAL world, here's the ACTUAL Apple page:

No option whatsoever for a Full-HD screen. But hey, we have already established that to you reality doesn't matter.

Quote:
Why would you sandblast a laptop??? Are you nuts!!!
You can drop your laptop, it can happen. If it's a MBP, it will likely break. If it's an Elitebook, it will likely not. That simple and yet so hard to see from your bubble. The MBP has the same type of construction as the HP Envy line. A premium line, but still a CONSUMER line. Needless to say, an Envy costs a lot less than a MBP. So, why would anyone want to buy a MBP to run Win 7 when for the same price you get a much better computer with an Elitebook?
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
The mini display port (and the mini displayport to hdmi adapter) supports full hd

Moshi Mini DP to HDMI Adapter with Audio Support - Apple Store (U.S.)
You do realize that's not actual Full-HD resolution but upsizing of the GPU's 1440x900 image we're talking about here, don't you?
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
You do realize that's not actual Full-HD resolution but upsizing of the GPU's 1440x900 image we're talking about here, don't you?
I think the native resolution you are referring to (1440x900) is of the computer's screen. The GPU has a native resolution of 2560 by 1600 pixels and supports full HD. I have attached a picture of the GPU specs of all the cMBPs (classic macbook pros) for evidence. Now I hope this argument is over.
Attached Thumbnails
Please help me Choose!-stats.jpg  
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Today I called HP to order my laptop. The one I choose was B8V72UT#ABA model and its 1000$ off! sounded like a nice promo! but Hp is selling it for 2599$ when other sites sell it 200$ cheaper even without any promo!
Is that $2600 after the $1000 discount, or before the discount?

Similarly spec'ed Thinkpad W530 (3610QM, K2000M, 15.6FHD, 8GB1600DDR3, 500GB/7200rpmHD) is about $1900, so if it's before the discount, it's pretty good deal.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I think the native resolution you are referring to (1440x900) is of the computer's screen. The GPU has a native resolution of 2560 by 1600 pixels and supports full HD. I have attached a picture of the GPU specs of all the cMBPs (classic macbook pros) for evidence. Now I hope this argument is over.
Exactly. The guy's so worked up in bashing computers that he's making a fool of himself heh

Anyway here is the Apple Store link for the 15" MBP. Under display you can find the HD screen option. Why do I bother

http://store.apple.com/us/configure/MD104LL/A?
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Exactly. The guy's so worked up in bashing computers that he's making a fool of himself heh

Anyway here is the Apple Store link for the 15" MBP. Under display you can find the HD screen option. Why do I bother

"You can also choose a high-resolution, 1,680-by-1,050 glossy or anti-glare display that gives you 36 percent more pixels."

So, in your reality distortion field 1680 x 1050 is the same as 1920 x 1080 (Full-HD resolution.)

Thanks for the laughs, once again. Why do I bother...
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:

Read what it actually says. It doesn't say it has a native resolution of 2560x1600, it says it supports "full native resolution" on the display (1440x900) as well as UPSCALING up to 2560x1600 to an external monitor.
Old 18th October 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
There's nothing there mentioning upscaling. If you select dual display it will support better resolution than 1920x1080 on the external display.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
There's nothing there mentioning upscaling. If you select dual display it will support better resolution than 1920x1080 on the external display.
Here's a hint for you: "full native resolution" on the display. Guess what the native resolution is.

But hey, you believe that 1680 x 1050 is Full-HD and you would never admit you were WRONG, so it's really an exercise in futility trying to argue with you.
Also I'm pretty sure you believe the MBP's Intel's integrated graphics are better than the Elitebook's nVidia Quadro GPU. Because you simply can't admit that there are better products than what Apple produces.
📝 Reply