Quantcast
Please help me Choose! - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Please help me Choose!
Old 18th October 2012
  #31
Lives for gear
 
phas3d's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Native means the native resolution of the laptop screen. It has nothing to do with connecting an external screen.
Also i never mentioned "Full-HD" on the laptop screen. Mentioned it for the external screen support. 720p although not being full-HD is considered HD and has a lower resolution than the higher resolution option display.
Anyway this is kinda pointless since Im sure you can find a full paragraph in a coma. If you don't believe what it's written go test it out and let it go...
Old 18th October 2012 | Show parent
  #32
Lives for gear
 
Paul in SoCal's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by phas3d ➑️
Native means the native resolution of the laptop screen.
Screens have a max resolution. GPU's do not exceed it.

Quote:
Also i never mentioned "Full-HD" on the laptop screen.
Of course you did. Your words, verbatim: "Anyway here is the Apple Store link for the 15" MBP. Under display you can find the HD screen option."
Now it's pretty obvious that you meant full-HD, because 1440x900 is ALREADY HD (720p.)

Still convinced 1680 x 1050 is Full-HD? Answer yes or no or implicitly admit you made a complete fool of yourself (you started with that silly ad hominem, now I'm giving it back to you.)
Old 18th October 2012
  #33
Lives for gear
 
Paul in SoCal's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
This is really insane. Let's just stop all the distractions. The OP is trying to decide between a MBP and an Elitebook for CUBASE, which runs much better in WINDOWS. Considering that they're roughly THE SAME PRICE, why on earth would anyone buy the computer with the lesser graphic resolution, the lesser graphic card and the lesser build? Now it's obvious that phas3d is a diehard Apple fanboy (it's OK, nothing wrong with that, except that you won't make many friends outside of your circle by dissing every non-Apple product and person who doesn't use one...) who can't even admit that some DAW's are actually more modern and up-to-date than Logic (heck, he can't even admit that a modern PC workstation with the latest CPU is faster than a MacPro...), but we're here to provide valuable information and not to try and proselytize for a religion.

If you like Logic, by all means get a MBP. But if you use anything other than that, why would you buy a lower-specced computer with an OS that doesn't run Cubase, Kontakt and many other cross-platform applications as well as Windows 7?

Look, I'm not married to HP and I also own computers of different brands (not to mention my own builds.) I made my case for the Elitebook because I sincerely believe it's the ultimate laptop for music ON WINDOWS. It's built better than any other laptop (military certification), it has a gazillion ports (including FW that actually works with audio interfaces), it has a much better/faster GPU than comparable laptops (way better than the MBP) and finally it's certified by Avid for use with ProTools (not many laptops are...)
Of course there are other options if you want to save money. The premium line of Lenovo works quite well for music (though no FW) as well as the premium consumer lines of HP (Envy, ProBook, Dv etc.), which are built roughly to the same standards of the MBP but they cost substantially less.

Also consider that prices of refurbished/used machines for these models are way way better than those of refurbished/used macs, because there is no cult of HP or Lenovo. People buy them as TOOLS and not as objects of worship. So, when they're obsolete, they're just obsolete and worth way less.
Old 18th October 2012
  #34
Gear Addict
 
1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Thunderbolt? Less fiddling? Options? Firewire stability? Maybe he isn't stuck to Cubase . . .
Old 18th October 2012
  #35
Gear Addict
 
1 Review written
🎧 5 years
A cMBP with 2.3 Ghz processor is 1800, and you can buy a http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Barrac...gate+barracuda for 80 and http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Vengea...r+16+gb+SODIMM for 90. 1800 + 170 = 1970. HP elitebook costs 2050. If he wanted to spend 400 dollars more, he could get an even better processor on the mac side (elitebook tops out at 2.3 Ghz).

Last edited by Bunjji; 18th October 2012 at 05:33 AM.. Reason: Thoroughness
Old 18th October 2012 | Show parent
  #36
Lives for gear
 
Paul in SoCal's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunjji ➑️
Thunderbolt? Less fiddling? Options? Firewire stability? Maybe he isn't stuck to Cubase . . .
From the first post of the OP:

"I'm pianist, singer and use mostly Cubase"


Thunderbolt is useless for music (and pretty much anything else, so far...)
An Elitebook needs no fiddling, it's good to go. Three years ON SITE warranty included.
FW stability, no problem. Tested it with many interfaces (ask other GS users, many have confirmed that. Also, like I mentioned before, certified by Avid for ProTools.)
Options? As in a gazillion ports? The Elitebooks has them. Other laptops, not quite as many.

So, why on earth would any reasonable person advise him to buy a MBP?
Old 18th October 2012
  #37
Lives for gear
 
phas3d's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Similar spec computers. One offering the option of 2 OS' therefore more options. Seems an easy picking. Best advice to the op is try them both before buying.
Old 18th October 2012 | Show parent
  #38
Lives for gear
 
Paul in SoCal's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by phas3d ➑️
Similar spec computers.
Again your reality distortion field is interfering with this thread...

Elitebook is built to military standards.
MBP is not.

Elitebook has a higher screen resolution and a much faster GPU (nVidia Quadro.)

Elitebook is way more accessible and easier to customize (it's practically like a desktop.)

Elitebook is dockable.

Elitebook comes with a 3-year on-site warranty INCLUDED in the price.

Similar specs? Seriously?
Old 18th October 2012
  #39
Lives for gear
 
phas3d's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
I don't think the guy's going into enemy territory so who cares about military grade. The computer is for music making from what the op wrote so the difference in graphics card doesn't mater.

Instead of you deciding for him why don't you let him make up his mind.

It seems like you always write about HP laptops.
Are you an HP employee or share holder by any chance???
Old 19th October 2012
  #40
Here for the gear
 
🎧 5 years
guys, Thanks for your advice and caring. To be very honest this is an important decision for me and I will be spending hard earned money for what will have to be my laptop for few years. As I mentioned before I will be mostly using this laptop to record my voice (singing) or live performance on already recorded music. Well it's important that I be able to use my m-audio profire (firewire) sound. But I also move a lot and want to use my laptop as entertainment unit. Watch HD movies, and play some games. It will be a laptop that I will be using to do my downloading (sometimes up to 24 hours)
I turn it on and keep using it hours and shut it down at night!

Voila what I want to use it for! I want to enjoy most you can get from a computer
alongside with my audio recording. So it's not only a music making unit.
Old 20th October 2012 | Show parent
  #41
Lives for gear
 
Paul in SoCal's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by phas3d ➑️
I don't think the guy's going into enemy territory so who cares about military grade.
You care when you drop your computer and you'll see the difference a better build makes. But I'm pretty sure that you always make the case about the MBP being better built than cheaper computers. Oddly enough, anything built better than Apple doesn't count. You're hilarious.

Quote:
The computer is for music making from what the op wrote so the difference in graphics card doesn't mater.
You talked about "more options." Now suddenly they don't count anymore? Not to mention that the OP has already said he wants to use the computer to watch HD programming. Right, I forgot, you want him to settle for a lower resolution because it's "close enough"...

Quote:
Instead of you deciding for him why don't you let him make up his mind.
Actually he's already made his mind. You're projecting and you're obviously livid because he didn't pick a MBP. Why would anyone who uses Cubase work on OSX despite the FACT that it works a million times better on Windows 7? Right, because you say so... As you can see, your advice here is pretty bad. And the really hilarious thing is that Apple doesn't even pay you to mislead people...

Quote:
It seems like you always write about HP laptops.
Again, projection. I'm ready to recommend several brands that work well for music, and in fact it's what I did. But the Elitebook is the only one with a FW port that actually works with audio interfaces.

Let's not forget that you're the one who could never ever recommend a non-Apple product, even when buying Apple is completely against the poster's interest, as it is in this case.

Quote:
Are you an HP employee or share holder by any chance???
I could ask you the same question about you and Apple, but I know that you're just a fanboy. To you Apple is a religion, you don't even get paid to shill for them. BTW, have you seen how Apple was FORCED TO APOLOGIZE IN PUBLIC to Samsung in Britain? I bet your head exploded reading that...
Old 20th October 2012
  #42
Gear Addict
 
1 Review written
🎧 5 years
I think you can't go wrong either way, but the MacBook will give you a bit more while sacrificing GPU quality.
Old 20th October 2012 | Show parent
  #43
Lives for gear
 
Paul in SoCal's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunjji ➑️
the MacBook will give you a bit more
Such as?

Construction - Apple loses.
GPU - Apple loses.
Screen - Apple loses.
OS for Cubase - Apple loses.
Warranty - Apple loses.

Oh yeah, right, Thunderbolt. You can use it with all those non-existing audio interfaces and ridiculously-priced hard drives.
Old 20th October 2012
  #44
Gear Addict
 
1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Two USB 3.0 ports, 8 gb more ram, a BETTER price, equivalent CPU, opton for a better CPU, and the option to use either Windows or Mac OS. What do you get with Elitebook? Protection from all those sandblasters ruining people's studios.
Old 20th October 2012 | Show parent
  #45
Lives for gear
 
Paul in SoCal's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunjji ➑️
Two USB 3.0 ports, 8 gb more ram, a BETTER price, equivalent CPU, opton for a better CPU, and the option to use either Windows or Mac OS. What do you get with Elitebook? Protection from all those sandblasters ruining people's studios.
LOL, you clearly have never seen an Elitebook if you want to compare the number of ports: 2 USB 3.0 ports, 2 USB 2.0 ports (1 charging), 1 eSATA/USB 2.0 combo port, 1 VGA, 1 DisplayPort, 1 stereo microphone in, 1 stereo headphone/line out, 1 1394a, 1 RJ-11, 1 RJ-45(Ethernet), 1 docking connector, 1 secondary battery connector. Where is all of that on your MBP? Oh, and no adapter required for FW...

Better price? Where? Did you miss the HP discount we were talking about? Oh, and if you want to talk about customization, an Elitebook is just as easy as a desktop. The new MBP's have the RAM soldered on the mobo. The next releases will probably have the SSD's soldered too...

Quote:
What do you get with Elitebook?
-- Better build.
-- Better GPU.
-- Better screen.
-- Better OS (if you use Cubase.) - No need to pay an EXTRA $274.99 to get Win 7 Pro...
-- Better connectivity (more ports) - No need to pay EXTRA for a FW adapter...
-- Upgrade bay - lets you add a second internal SSD/drive (you can fit up to three in the 17" model.)
-- Better warranty (3-year on-site included in price. No need to pay an EXTRA $300 for AppleCare... and it's not even on-site...)
-- Better accessibility (opens easily, all components readily accessible, even someone who doesn't know anything about computers could upgrade it...)
-- Removable battery (plenty of third-party options available for reasonable prices.)
-- Docking.
-- Easier customization.
-- Availability of a 17" model.
-- Slightly lower price with discount.

BTW, the Elitebook is also available with the faster/more expensive CPU, so none of your points are valid. Remember that a MBP is a PC and nothing more than that. Comparable in build and components with HP's premium CONSUMER lines... (but costing much more...)
Old 20th October 2012
  #46
Gear Addict
 
1 Review written
🎧 5 years
The MBP has a firewire port, removable battery, docking with thunderbolt, easy customization, option to use Mac OS, decent screen, decent GPU, and only about 500 dollars more. OP can see what benefits of the Mac apply to him and then make a decision. Goodbye
Old 20th October 2012 | Show parent
  #47
Lives for gear
 
Paul in SoCal's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunjji ➑️
only about 500 dollars more.
Considering that it's comparable in build and components to HP's premium consumer lines, I'd say it's actually a lot more than that, certainly more than $1,000. Also let's not forget that you'd need to add $274.99 for Win 7 Pro to the cost...

BTW, even premium consumer lines have full-HD resolution screens, so the MBP in question actually has even cheaper components than those...

Quote:
easy customization
Do you have a picture of the MBP's upgrade bay? Don't tell me there isn't one... So, what exactly can you customize?
Old 20th October 2012
  #48
Lives for gear
 
phas3d's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Better build says who? You? Looks like projection to me man.
Be honest. How much do you make on HP sales? A lot I guess from your posts.
MBP's are proven to be great computers for years now. Specially since the last update it's an amazing computer.
Good luck in the war zone. Be careful for friendly fire though...

Also, why do you need Windows 7 Pro to make music?
Old 20th October 2012 | Show parent
  #49
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Pha3d was talking about the resolution of external monitor, if MBP can display full HD resolution (1920x1080) via cable to external monitors. Of course, premium PC laptop lines, like Eliteblooks, Thinkpads, Toshiba Qosmio, Sony VAIO Z all can do the HD via external monitors in full HD.

Besides, statements about the Mormon chuch read inappropriate and offensive in a public forum. For the record, I don't belong to LDS church, or Romney campaign.
Old 20th October 2012
  #50
Lives for gear
 
phas3d's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Again, who cares if it's military grade. There are plenty of sturdy laptops. Unless he goes into war zone it won't make a difference. Build quality isn't the same as toughness. Something you lack in understanding.
The links you provided are surveys mostly about support speed without any clear information on how they were conducted and therefore not that credible. Also Apple always ranks above HP. So why would you sugest an inferior product then?
There is no need to get windows Pro for making music. The home edition will do just fine. Your argument is always about money and you present this costly version. Doesn't make sense.

That said keep projecting your insecurities or learn to respect others opinions. Your call...
It was nice chatting here but I have better things to do.
Cheers



Edit: @OP It's never a good idea having an OS for much more than your music work. I also like to play games now and then but sadly have little time mostly because of work and sometimes trying to reason with "people" that aren't reasonable at all.
I use Mac OS X music work and web surfing. Been doing that for over 15 years with no anti-virus or anti-malware and never caught a bug. There are plenty of happy people doing that with Cubase so don't worry.
For gaming I have Windows 7 installed in another partition through bootcamp.
Best of luck on your choice whatever it may be
Old 20th October 2012 | Show parent
  #51
Lives for gear
 
Paul in SoCal's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by phas3d ➑️
Build quality isn't the same as toughness.
LOL, isn't it?

And where is your proof that the build quality of a MBP is better? Right, once again it boils down to your only argument: because I said so!

Quote:
The links you provided are surveys mostly about support speed without any clear information on how they were conducted and therefore not that credible. Also Apple always ranks above HP. So why would you sugest an inferior product then?
I actually explained that, but I know it always takes a couple of tries before you get anything... So, here it goes, again. Unlike Apple, HP sells economic consumer lines, and those are real crap. That's what destroys their average. Reliability on HP's business lines is excellent. Guess which company sells more computers to businesses than any other one? That's right, HP. They wouldn't be doing that if their business-class machines were sub-standard as you charged (again, a completely baseless statement), now would they?

Quote:
There is no need to get windows Pro for making music. The home edition will do just fine.
Once again, you're proving everyone that you don't know what you're talking about. Home Premium supports only up to 16 gb of RAM. An Elitebook can fit up to 32 gb of RAM.

Always happy to school you.

Quote:
It was nice chatting here but I have better things to do.
Let me guess. Sitting at a Starbucks updating the status of your FB page with your precious MBP while sipping Mocha Latte?
Old 20th October 2012
  #52
Lives for gear
 
phas3d's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
You still haven't answered my question. Do you make money on HP sales? From your speech I'm sure you do.
When I mentioned the Home Premium it wasn't about the HP laptop. Go back and read again. And good luck getting 32GB RAM at a reasonable price.
Funny you should mention school. You sure do write like a 15 year old. So enjoy your weekend and don't be late for school on Monday heh

Bye
Old 21st October 2012 | Show parent
  #53
Lives for gear
 
Paul in SoCal's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by phas3d ➑️
You still haven't answered my question. Do you make money on HP sales?
I don't, and it's pretty obvious from what I wrote. But keep making that ridiculous charge, it's all you can do. BTW, do YOU make money from Apple? Everything about you is projection and I'm starting to believe that you actually have an economic interest. You don't strike me as a creative mind like a composer, you probably sell Apple computers/iware/accessories or their services. Am I wrong?

Quote:
From your speech I'm sure you do.
My "speech"? LOL. OK, sorry, obviously English isn't your mother tongue (as it was already obvious before...)

What you're sure of is very irrelevant. You're sure that every non-Apple product is crap. You're sure that a 2009 MacPro is faster than a PC workstation with the latest and greatest CPU. You're sure that it's impossible to make music on Windows and that no professional would ever use it (despite ample evidence to the contrary...) You're sure that Logic is a state-of-the-art DAW with no flaws whatsoever, even if it's buggy and hasn't been updated in years. You're sure that 1600x900 equals "full-hd", you're sure that Home Premium has no RAM limitations and therefore it's the best Windows for music, even if when a computer is capable of handling 32 gb of RAM. Like I said, you don't know much about computers and you live in a bubble. You have done nothing more than proving that over and over.

Quote:
When I mentioned the Home Premium it wasn't about the HP laptop.
Once again you have proved that you don't know anything about computers by claiming that Home Premium has no limitations. And once again you're now humoring me with a silly spin.


Quote:
And good luck getting 32GB RAM at a reasonable price.
LOL that you believe the price Apple charges is the actual market price. Like I said, you live in a bubble and you never fail to prove it.

Quote:
You sure do write like a 15 year old.
Says the poster who obviously isn't a native English speaker. Now, are you? (Pretty sure you won't answer that...) Because if you're not, it's pretty clear YOUR writing is sub-standard and gave you away, not mine.
Old 21st October 2012
  #54
Gear Addict
 
1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Hey guys, you've made pretty much all your points. You should now leave it at that and let the OP decide. So no more posts, ok?
Old 21st October 2012 | Show parent
  #55
Lives for gear
 
Paul in SoCal's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunjji ➑️
Hey guys, you've made pretty much all your points. You should now leave it at that and let the OP decide. So no more posts, ok?
Fine with me.
Old 21st October 2012 | Show parent
  #56
Lives for gear
 
phas3d's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunjji ➑️
Hey guys, you've made pretty much all your points. You should now leave it at that and let the OP decide. So no more posts, ok?
Sure. No point talking with people who think they're always right and twist other people's words anyway...
Old 13th November 2012
  #57
Here for the gear
 
🎧 5 years
well I wanted to thank you guys and let you know that I finally ordered and received my laptop. this is what I ordered Hewlett Packard HP Smart Buy HP 8770W, I7-3610QM/17.3/8GB/750GB Manufacturer Part# C1E41UT#ABA

I got it for 2380 US$ It was a great deal! here is the link to it on hp site, but I got it elsewhere

http://h71016.www7.hp.com/dstore/Mid...LID=&IsAgent=Y
Old 13th November 2012 | Show parent
  #58
Lives for gear
 
Paul in SoCal's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdy ➑️
well I wanted to thank you guys and let you know that I finally ordered and received my laptop. this is what I ordered Hewlett Packard HP Smart Buy HP 8770W, I7-3610QM/17.3/8GB/750GB Manufacturer Part# C1E41UT#ABA

I got it for 2380 US$ It was a great deal! here is the link to it on hp site, but I got it elsewhere

HP's Small & Medium Business Online Store
Congratulations! You're going to love it.
And someone's head just exploded...
Old 14th November 2012
  #59
Gear Addict
 
1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Good luck! Hope all goes well and go make some music!!
πŸ“ Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 4616 views: 614812
Avatar for smoke
smoke 7th May 2021
replies: 55 views: 32078
Avatar for IM WHO YOU THINK
IM WHO YOU THINK 13th October 2020
replies: 98 views: 38933
Avatar for dfghdhr
dfghdhr 5th June 2021
replies: 1296 views: 181406
Avatar for heraldo_jones
heraldo_jones 1st February 2016
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump