Quantcast
Icon D-command users, where do you place your mouse/keyboard? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Icon D-command users, where do you place your mouse/keyboard?
Old 14th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Icon D-command users, where do you place your mouse/keyboard?

As the subject goes, where to place the mac mouse and keyboard for a comfortable, ergonomic and practical setup based around the Icon D-Command?

Hit me with some creative ideas!
Old 14th September 2012

🎧 10 years
i stopped putting it near the ICON. It's on it's own desk (a movable one) near me. Sometimes the keyboard or mouse is on the front of the Argosy the D-command sits in
Old 14th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Check the DUC forum. Someone makes a clear glass stand that slides back and forth between the faders and knobs. Custom made, see through and movable.
Old 15th September 2012
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Icon D-command users, where do you place your mouse/keyboard?-imageuploadedbygearslutz1347671773.681388.jpg
Old 25th February 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Sorry for the slightly OT intromission. I too am trying to figure out how to go around my D-Command. In that last post it seems like the console is sitting on its own stand, sort of like a D-Control. But I haven't being able to find a Avid stand for the D-Command. Does that even exist?
Old 25th February 2013
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
For the keyboard problem, buy a producers desk from AVID. The price is .....well..... expensive to say the least but its worth it.
Old 24th May 2018 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demor ➑️
For the keyboard problem, buy a producers desk from AVID. The price is .....well..... expensive to say the least but its worth it.
OK, so years later since a bunch of people have used these, where should I put the keyboard?
Old 24th May 2018
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
We had an Argosy keyboard tray mounted to the bolster of the (argosy) desk that the D-command+fader expansion was mounted in.
Today's Avid S6 desk options from Avid have a similar keyboard tray available that straps in front of the front bolster.

My real preference is to split the main unit and fader packs and put a producers section in with the monitor and keyboard much like post 4. So it is "in" the desk instead of in front of the desk.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by pentagon ➑️
We had an Argosy keyboard tray mounted to the bolster of the (argosy) desk that the D-command+fader expansion was mounted in.
Today's Avid S6 desk options from Avid have a similar keyboard tray available that straps in front of the front bolster.

My real preference is to split the main unit and fader packs and put a producers section in with the monitor and keyboard much like post 4. So it is "in" the desk instead of in front of the desk.
I haven't worked on mine yet and I'm going to be building a desk for it. I use an Emes Mini Owl monitor, so my monitor is going to sit in the center of the console where most people put their computer displays.

I've been toying with the idea of building a producer's section between the main unit and faders. I know I won't be buying Avid's producer desk lol I was wondering if it would if it was ideal to have a (display) monitor there, or off to the side of the faders.

I see people online who have 24 faders and add a 2nd fader pack. I like the look of it, I don't think I'll ever need more than 24 faders.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by IM WHO YOU THINK ➑️
I was wondering if it would if it was ideal to have a (display) monitor there, or off to the side of the faders.
Had one with 2 monitors with one directly center and one on an ergonomic adjustable arm to one side (that you could manoeuvre wherever you wanted.) The monitor on the arm could be switched to a second pro tools system so someone could work off to the side.

Another room we had both monitors on arms -- one to either side. They could both reach to the center of the console.
Old 25th May 2018
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Years later my setup has changed a bit... I got rid of then 16 fader expansion and chopped up the main unit so I could fit the producer desk in between the 8 faders and the control section.

I like having the faders on one side and the eq/compressor knobs on the other side of the keyboard mouse and monitor.
Attached Thumbnails
Icon D-command users, where do you place your mouse/keyboard?-e44520a7-3798-4fde-abfe-62eb3596cf45.jpg  

Last edited by kdramsey; 25th May 2018 at 12:21 AM.. Reason: Spelling
Old 25th May 2018 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdramsey ➑️
Years later my setup has changed a bit... I got rid of then 16 fader expansion and chopped up the main unit so I could fit the producer desk in between the 8 faders and the control section.

I like having the faders on one side and the eq/compressor knobs on the other side of the keyboard mouse and monitor.
How much of a hassle was it to chop it up? I don't need to chop mine, but I'd like to reverse the order of my main unit and place the fades to the right of the EQ/dynamic/monitor section.
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by IM WHO YOU THINK ➑️
How much of a hassle was it to chop it up? I don't need to chop mine, but I'd like to reverse the order of my main unit and place the fades to the right of the EQ/dynamic/monitor section.
It was not a hassle at all since I have the Producer Desk. You will not be able to easily reverse the order within the main unit because the control bay is 1.5x wider than the fader bay. And the meters would then be in wrong location.

The best solution for what you want to do is the setup I used back in 2012 (see post 4). It was cool to have 24 faders but after a few years I realized that I used the 8 faders to the right most the time. All of the other faders were not easily reached while staying in the sweet spot.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdramsey ➑️
It was not a hassle at all since I have the Producer Desk. You will not be able to easily reverse the order within the main unit because the control bay is 1.5x wider than the fader bay. And the meters would then be in wrong location.

The best solution for what you want to do is the setup I used back in 2012 (see post 4). It was cool to have 24 faders but after a few years I realized that I used the 8 faders to the right most the time. All of the other faders were not easily reached while staying in the sweet spot.
A few people I know use just the 8. The price I paid was comparable to most used 8 channels, for 24. I considered selling the faded pack, but decided it wouldn't hurt to have more faders.

Leaving the sweet spot is my concern I may just build my desk to hold a keyboard in front and put the display off to the right of the board, that would keep my main controls in the center
Old 9th August 2018
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
This has been a non issue for me for 2 reasons.

1. Icon D-Command is SO good that it doesn't even require a computer monitor near it. It doesn't need a keyboard (other than if you want to enter track names etc). I can and do mix totally on the D-Command with monitor off, lights dark (or off in room) and become one with the mix... zen like . Mixing this way is fun and very musical. Back in the analog days people didn't need to stare at the tape machine as it rolled by the heads! :P

2. Due to how excellent the D-Command is, ergonomic, muscle memory, good to use in the dark (what looks like a sea of green buttons to the untrained eye is a function I know well and use a lot even without seeing the text - the soft menus, automation, transport area, selection and of course the encoder/channel/eqs/comp buttons.. all second nature after a while), this means I have no need to actually sit my monitor with the ICON. So instead I have the computer/monitor/Pro Tools at a right angle in the room, like you sometimes see analog mixer guys do at the end of the desk, only with icon it's not so big as to make that annoying.

So I have PT/Computer/Monitor/Mouse on a good desk jutting out into the room. And D-command is on its own metal frame running along the wider aspect of the room with the speaker monitors either side of it. I find when 'mixing' I have very little need to go back to PT with the mouse, if you set up your session, do your prepro and edits etc first on PT then come mix time you don't need both things in the same space. This solves the keyboard/mouse issue entirely for me AND helps me mix better as less distracting visuals, and I get two 'zones' editing and rec/mix zone, both are very close by so still entwined (not a hassle) yet seperated visually enough that when I want to mix I just mix, I don't have a stupid PC monitor/keyboard sat RIGHT in the middle of my sweet spot. I have faders and eq/comp knobs!

Also this gives me full control over the height of D-Command, it's not reliant on being 'at one' with the height of a keyboard/mouse desk. The top of my D-Command surface (ie the metal plate around the faders) is about 1 CM LOWER than the top of the desk with the keyboard/mouse on. This gives me two ideal heights for 2 different things. No 'too low' keyboard like when you try to stick it under a d-command desk, and no 'too high' faders/D-command like you get when sticking it 'on top' of a computer desk. Both of my frames/desks are fully height adjustable (IKEA sell some great metal desk frames perfect for D-command - black Β£55 each or so with nice legs not that different from the look of the D-Control's stand) - BEKANT Underframe for table top Black 140 x 60 cm - IKEA

After I got this for mine I saw others using it for D-command too. what I like is the D-Command is firmly sat on it but floats without any bulky furniture around it like argosy desks, you can pull your legs right under it, put the height down so your hands fall nicely on the faders and can reach to the back easily (and read all the screens well). This works better for 24 fader systems as it's 'wide' frame, but you can always finish the sides off with some wood if you only use the main unit.

To me it's the best way to get the best from D-Command, treat it as the recording/mixing system itself, and PT is the 'add on', not the other way around as with usual, lesser controllers that can't properly replace half of the functions. A swivel chair and a quick turn isn't hard to do should I need to name, edit, or doing something mouse/keys based.

Perfect!

Also... less hard surfaces in the mixing spot (screens etc)
Old 9th August 2018 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
This is what I was kinda hoping to conclude when I bought the Dcommand. I bought a cheap desk base for $20 from a local habitat store. It's just about the size of the 24ch Dcommand. My plan is to use it a bit and then decide on the best layout. I have two Emes mini Owls., I plan to mount my display/keyboard at a right angle to the board with a mini owl above it and swap to that speaker when I'm tracking/looking at the screen.

I've been watching vids on the Dcommand and taking notes. I'm going to try to force myself off the keyboard/trackball/display and do everything on the Dcommand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro5 ➑️

1. Icon D-Command is SO good that it doesn't even require a computer monitor near it. It doesn't need a keyboard (other than if you want to enter track names etc). I can and do mix totally on the D-Command with monitor off, lights dark (or off in room) and become one with the mix... zen like . Mixing this way is fun and very musical. Back in the analog days people didn't need to stare at the tape machine as it rolled by the heads! :P

2. Due to how excellent the D-Command is, ergonomic, muscle memory, good to use in the dark (what looks like a sea of green buttons to the untrained eye is a function I know well and use a lot even without seeing the text - the soft menus, automation, transport area, selection and of course the encoder/channel/eqs/comp buttons.. all second nature after a while), this means I have no need to actually sit my monitor with the ICON. So instead I have the computer/monitor/Pro Tools at a right angle in the room, like you sometimes see analog mixer guys do at the end of the desk, only with icon it's not so big as to make that annoying.

So I have PT/Computer/Monitor/Mouse on a good desk jutting out into the room. And D-command is on its own metal frame running along the wider aspect of the room with the speaker monitors either side of it. I find when 'mixing' I have very little need to go back to PT with the mouse, if you set up your session, do your prepro and edits etc first on PT then come mix time you don't need both things in the same space. This solves the keyboard/mouse issue entirely for me AND helps me mix better as less distracting visuals, and I get two 'zones' editing and rec/mix zone, both are very close by so still entwined (not a hassle) yet seperated visually enough that when I want to mix I just mix, I don't have a stupid PC monitor/keyboard sat RIGHT in the middle of my sweet spot. I have faders and eq/comp knobs!

Also this gives me full control over the height of D-Command, it's not reliant on being 'at one' with the height of a keyboard/mouse desk. The top of my D-Command surface (ie the metal plate around the faders) is about 1 CM LOWER than the top of the desk with the keyboard/mouse on. This gives me two ideal heights for 2 different things. No 'too low' keyboard like when you try to stick it under a d-command desk, and no 'too high' faders/D-command like you get when sticking it 'on top' of a computer desk. Both of my frames/desks are fully height adjustable (IKEA sell some great metal desk frames perfect for D-command - black Β£55 each or so with nice legs not that different from the look of the D-Control's stand) - BEKANT Underframe for table top Black 140 x 60 cm - IKEA

After I got this for mine I saw others using it for D-command too. what I like is the D-Command is firmly sat on it but floats without any bulky furniture around it like argosy desks, you can pull your legs right under it, put the height down so your hands fall nicely on the faders and can reach to the back easily (and read all the screens well). This works better for 24 fader systems as it's 'wide' frame, but you can always finish the sides off with some wood if you only use the main unit.

To me it's the best way to get the best from D-Command, treat it as the recording/mixing system itself, and PT is the 'add on', not the other way around as with usual, lesser controllers that can't properly replace half of the functions. A swivel chair and a quick turn isn't hard to do should I need to name, edit, or doing something mouse/keys based.

Perfect!

Attached Thumbnails
Icon D-command users, where do you place your mouse/keyboard?-cheap-desk.jpg  
Old 11th August 2018
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I honestly think the D-Command really comes into its own once you get over using the mouse, and screen. Yes it's nice to look at some plugs to double check what's going on, but for me only an occasional need, the more you use D-command monitor off not only do you feel like you're actually really 'mixing' and can feel the music, but you start making more creative/instinctive and musical mix choices instead of the visual over-anaylsis/over-thinking that can sometimes happen (to some - not all; but certainly to me at times).

Furthermore I really can get more done on just the D-command in less time, wizzing around the surface, muting, solo-ing, rec-arm, automation, a/bing/bypassing plugs, comparing tracks with ONE 'two finger' press on adjence solo/mutes to flip them, and of course if you stick to the same eq/comp plugs (just a few of each ) it becomes second nature to know which page/knobs you need etc. I also love the fast VCA/Trim coalescing from the user menu, the user menu is great for storing common commands from the other menus, and also the quick set up of loops using the soft key locator menu + shift to set the end loop loc (or mark in/out by the transport)... panning and panning of delays/verbs, bringing in/out references (magic a/b bypass), mono/stereo etc.. all this and more is 1 or 2 button presses away and very intuative, no RSI, mix in low light, screen off.. it's like mixing heaven to me these days!
Old 23rd October 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro5 ➑️

Perfect!

I thought about this old discussion while I was in a Salvation Army store. I found the perfect desk. It's only 48" wide, but it expands to 60" once I change the top. Its height adjustable, on wheels, and it should hold the weight well. I only need to order a replacement crank. Minus the crank, I paid a grand total of $47 bucks for this:

https://www.standupdeskstore.com/cra...gn=remarketing

Edit: it's the perfect height with no crank to adjust.

Last edited by IM WHO YOU THINK; 23rd October 2019 at 08:51 PM..
πŸ“ Reply