Quantcast
Mackie Control Universal Expanding? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Mackie Control Universal Expanding?
Old 14th September 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Mackie Control Universal Expanding?

I'm considering the MCU and I'm a bit confused as to hooking up a DAW controller.

The manual indicates you must use the midi in/outs to your audio interface. Mine (the echo audiofire12) only has one pair. Now, the manual shows hooking up the "Extenders" to the audio interface as well?? But there are 3 pairs of midi in/outs on the back of the MCU. (also has a USB connection)

I always "assumed" that you would hook your DAW controller straight to your computer, as it's not passing sound...only controlling your software?

Can someone please get me straight on this?
Old 14th September 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Okay...for some reason, the thread I followed that showed the hook up (via the manual) only showed the 2nd version...the midi hub version.

So, if I'm correct...I'd just hook the MCU up to my "computer" via the USB out and then hook any of the "Extenders" up the the midi in/outs on the back of the MCU...correct? Thus giving me the possibility of 32 channels? (since the MCU has 3 external midi pairs)

I'd also be using Reaper.

So, do I have this correct now?
Old 14th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Church
So, if I'm correct...I'd just hook the MCU up to my "computer" via the USB out and then hook any of the "Extenders" up the the midi in/outs on the back of the MCU...correct? Thus giving me the possibility of 32 channels? (since the MCU has 3 external midi pairs)

I'd also be using Reaper.

So, do I have this correct now?
Yes, 100% correct.

Couple of other things:

1)The modern MCU's are a little flakey on startup, if you have one of these just give the jog wheel a few shakes back and forth after you power up the MCU, clears things up nicely.

2) With Reaper you have 3 choices of software:
a) the stock one supplied with Reaper -- basic functionality.
b) Klinke's -- a lot more sophisticated, complete with plugin mapping
c) one I wrote -- with C4 support for plugins -- more of an analog console replacement

Enjoy, and don't hesitate to ask questions on the forum (forum.cockos.com -> Compatibility ) -- generally a really helpful bunch of folks as long as you're nice
Old 15th September 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
@ Geoff ...thank you SO much for the info!

Please tell me...what benefits will I gain with the second two options you mentioned? Analog console? Does that mean that I can stack plugins vertically like vintage console/boards? And keep them on the screen/boards as opposed to having to constantly open them per/track. (which can get a bit confusing at times)
Old 15th September 2012
Old 15th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
One thing to be aware of with Klinke's .dll und Reaper. v8 doesn't support extenders. However, v6.4 does support extenders. The difference between v8 & v 6.4 is:-

New in v0.8
The most important changes in v0.8:
β€’ REAPER folders can now be reflected on the MCU using the Folder-Mode
β€’ Anchors allows locking a Channel Strip to a fixed track
β€’ FX presets (store and recall FX settings) including a Blind Test feature
β€’ FX Local maps (different maps for each FX instances of the same FX)
β€’ improved syncing of the MCU state with the REAPER GUI
β€’ Global Actions assignments can be named and shown in MCU display
β€’ Quick Jumps added for faster navigation
β€’ improved Track Name handling
β€’ FX favorites can be stored in REAPER project file

ns
Old 15th September 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Thank you Geofff and Nightscope for the info.

Let me ask, for now (while still using a mouse) can I get reaper (or possibly a downloadable them) to allow me to anchor channel strips in a track and save FX preset? Would SWS extension allow this? Or would I still need one of the two aforementioned extensions? (klinke or Geoff Waddington)
Old 15th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Church
Let me ask, for now (while still using a mouse) can I get reaper (or possibly a downloadable them) to allow me to anchor channel strips in a track and save FX preset? Would SWS extension allow this? Or would I still need one of the two aforementioned extensions? (klinke or Geoff Waddington)
I think you are talking about Track Templates, yes?

If so, grab this

REAPER | User Guide

and look up Track Templates
πŸ“ Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…