Lexicon PCM Native Plates VS UAD Plate 140 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Lexicon PCM Native Plates VS UAD Plate 140
Old 13th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Lexicon PCM Native Plates VS UAD Plate 140

Hi All,

Anyone had the chance to compare the plates in the Lexicon PCM Native Bundle to the UAD Plate 140? I've used real EMT 140s and 240s but have never really spent a long time with either of the above plugins. Interested in people's thoughts.

M

Last edited by minipoodle; 13th September 2012 at 06:56 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 13th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Uh I don't think the lexicon has the depth that the uad has. I've demoed the uad and I own the lexicon plate native
Old 14th September 2012
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
The lexicon plate algorithm is more a sound of it´s own that was basically developed in the 70s/80s.
If you want to come real close to the sound of the EMT140 hardware, the UAD EMT 140 (modeled from three different hardware units to choose from) might be your cup of tea.
Old 14th September 2012 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvin III ➡️
Uh I don't think the lexicon has the depth that the uad has. I've demoed the uad and I own the lexicon plate native
Are you referring to the "regular" plate, the "Vintage Plate" or both?
Old 14th September 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Totally different. The uad plate 140 is trying to recreate a real plate as well as it can. Lexicon has never tried to do that. I own plate 140 and the lex bundle, I think the lex vintage plate is really remarkable. My most used of those 3.
Old 14th September 2012 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by thermos ➡️
Totally different. The uad plate 140 is trying to recreate a real plate as well as it can. Lexicon has never tried to do that. I own plate 140 and the lex bundle, I think the lex vintage plate is really remarkable. My most used of those 3.
Interesting. If the Lexicon Vintage Plate doesn't sound like an EMT, how would you describe the sound in comparison? What kind of music do you find yourself using it on?
Old 15th September 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Never had real plate, but I use both UAD 140 and Lex bundle.

UAD sounds like some physical model. There is this sense of material/metal in the sound and it is very organic for a plugin. The only thing I have that compares to uad plate is akg BX25 spring reverb. BX25 has more character and it is more fluid/continuous sounding, but both can be used almost interchangeably.

Lex is very different, it also has high density, but it is way "nicer" and less metalic. It is lex for pop (or when elegance is needed) and uad 140 when vintage/earthy is the direction. But sometimes uad 140 works as a very elegant reverb too. Its big plus is it's never grainy and unlike BX25 it can do short times.

I also like the spring emulation in UAD RE201, to me it's the same class. If only they made stand alone stereo version with more control, that would be perfect.
📝 Reply