The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Upgrade from Bias Peak 4 to Peak Pro 7
Old 13th September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Upgrade from Bias Peak 4 to Peak Pro 7

Hello,
I'm currently using Bias Peak 4.12.
I'm not sure if I should upgrade to Bias Peak Pro 7.
I use OSX 10.4.11 Tiger, OS X 10.5.8 Leopard, both running on a Mac G4 Cube upgraded with 1.5.GHz Powerlogix accelerator card; and OSX 10.6 Snow Leopard on a Mac Mini INTEL.
I am aware that BIAS, Inc. has ceased operations; although the BIAS Authorization Manager Server is still functioning.
I'm not interested to switch to another Audio Editor.

I have two questions:

1) Should file formats for digital distribution (as MP3, AAC, or Apple Lossless) be generated using Peak Pro 7, or an audio converter like Apple Pro Audio Converter is sufficient for professional use?
Is the variable bit-rate MP3 encoding, offered now by Peak Pro 7, relevant for digital distribution in MP3 format?
Does it offer something Apple Pro Audio Converter, or other converters are missing?

2) About DDP Export Extension, which allows creation of DDP (Disc Description Protocol) filesets directly from the Peak Playlist.
Can anybody explain in a few words what this extension is useful for.
I'm producing CD audio and DVD-ROM (featuring MP3, PDF, ePub, QuickTime files), not DVD-VIDEO.
They will be duplicated in a number of copies between 500 and 2000.
Do I really need DDP?

I apologize in advance if my questions are obvious or of scarce interest.
Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
Old 13th September 2012
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by giambattista ➡️
Hello,
I'm currently using Bias Peak 4.12.
I'm not sure if I should upgrade to Bias Peak Pro 7.
I use OSX 10.4.11 Tiger, OS X 10.5.8 Leopard, both running on a Mac G4 Cube upgraded with 1.5.GHz Powerlogix accelerator card; and OSX 10.6 Snow Leopard on a Mac Mini INTEL.
I am aware that BIAS, Inc. has ceased operations; although the BIAS Authorization Manager Server is sill functioning.
I'm not interested to switch to another Audio Editor.

I have two questions:

1) Should file formats for digital distribution (as MP3, AAC, or Apple Lossless) be generated using Peak Pro 7, or an audio converter like Apple Pro Audio Converter is sufficient for professional use?
Is the variable bit-rate MP3 encoding, offered now by Peak Pro 7, relevant for digital distribution in MP3 format?
Does it offer something Apple Pro Audio Converter, or other converters are missing?

2) About DDP Export Extension, which allows creation of DDP (Disc Description Protocol) filesets directly from the Peak Playlist.
Can anybody explain in a few words what this extension is useful for.
I'm producing CD audio and DVD-ROM (featuring MP3, PDF, ePub, QuickTime files), not DVD-VIDEO.
They will be duplicated in a number of copies between 500 and 2000.
Do I really need DDP?

I apologize in advance if my questions are obvious or of scarce interest.
Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
I think it's worth it if you can find a copy. I would also not rely on the authorization server. I have heard that it has intermittently gone down.

DDP is a good thing to have to deliver your final masters to the duplication plant because it's subject to fewer errors than providing a master CD. Or so they say. How many are duplicated isn't really relevant to that.

Peak does good format conversion and its sample rate conversion is considered one of the better ones. I've had good luck with other types of conversion (mp3, etc.). Why not use it?

Overall, there are few downsides to upgrading except for the fact that BIAS is out of business and the issues relating to that. I found Peak 6+ to be better than the previous iterations. I used to suffer crashed with earlier versions that went away after 6.
Old 13th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I know you don't want to switch editors, but you should get DSP Quattro. Made in Italy, low cost, and half price for Peak users. I have switched and am enjoying DSP Q so far.

1. Peak used an open source MP3 converter called LAME. You can get the same encoder in other software. However, unless you're really picky iTunes or Quicktime or the Apple Pro Audio Converter should be fine. VBR sounds a bit better but is (was?) less compatible.

2. The DDP standard allows you to upload a mastered CD to a replication plant without having to send a physical CD. If you are sending physical CD's, or duplicating using a bunch of burners in a low volume setup, then you don't need DDP.
Old 13th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Yeah, skip Peak. I'm starting to like version 7, but I bought it a year ago and am sort of bummed that it's going to fade away. Might as well buy something else and start learning it now.
Sound Forge is coming out soon for Mac. That seems like something worth looking into.
Old 14th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Try Audition 2. I always felt I couldn't replace Sound Forge on the Mac until that came out.

Or, wait for Sound Forge on the Mac. It's great.
Old 14th September 2012 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwinhurwitz ➡️
I think it's worth it if you can find a copy. I would also not rely on the authorization server. I have heard that it has intermittently gone down.
As of last Saturday it's still running, I installed my PeakPro on my MacMini Server and was able to register with no issues.
I did buy DSP Quattro but I'm so use to PeakPro I just haven't had time to learn DSP Quattro. heh
Old 14th September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Uhhh if I'm not mistaken BIAS as a company has folded...do they still have a site up? BIAS, Inc. has ceased operations
oops....why even work with something that is a deadend? I used to like it but I moved onto other healthier software.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wilson ➡️
oops....why even work with something that is a deadend? I used to like it but I moved onto other healthier software.
I just know it and can get loops done faster in it. heh
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruno garza ➡️
I just know it and can get loops done faster in it. heh
Here here. There is something to be said about sticking with something that you already know. I've been using Peak for 15 years and I don't plan on moving to anything else until computer upgrades force me too move away from it.

As far as moving to 7 from 4. Since you already know Peak pretty well its not a bad idea if you can find a copy of 7 and if it has not already used all of its blessed installs. That might be the most difficult part I would think.
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…