Quantcast
Has Apple Killed Logic's Pro Development? - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Has Apple Killed Logic's Pro Development?
Old 13th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjdpro ➡️
Wow .. Not good news. That's telling me that some major talent at Emagic has left Apple.
No, actually we don't know. It could be of course that you are right, but it could mean also the opposite that nobody left, but that they're simply expanding the team. The first is not good, tho', why putting a vacancy if you have no plans...

RGH
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLueROom ➡️
The new version, when it comes out in 2013, will be a Pro Tools killer for sure. I mean... it only makes sense, right?
No, not if they have totally different intentions and roadmap then you want them too.

RGH
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubmunkey ➡️
Game changer? DAWs pretty much cover it all, what will be so revolutionary about it?
it will record and play back sound!

Quote:
The phrase game changer is really not properly understood by many on this forum

the phrase "game changer" should no longer be used unless accompanied by one of these:

as in "wow, that's a real game-changer"
Old 13th September 2012
Deleted User
Isnt there already a 2 year old Logic speculation thread? You guys are pitiful at best
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by popmann ➡️
At some point, honestly...you guys are going to have to admit that DAW software is just mature and quit with the wanting of features and upgrades.
I think someone said the same thing about the floppy drive. Seriously, technical progress never ends, it just stalls for a while.
Old 13th September 2012
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by xgman ➡️
I think someone said the same thing about the floppy drive. .
yes, but now that you have a drive the size of a pack of cigarettes that can hold all the sessions of all the bands you have recorded for the past year, are you sitting around anxiously awaiting the "new drive technology" that will allow you to store five years worth of bands? Do you really need to carry that session from 2007 around with you everywhere?

Probably not. You probably feel like 'storage' is not the big issue you felt it was back in those days when you had only 1.5m floppy drives. Even for MIDI, they were 'small'. It sucked.

there comes a point where a technology matures, where improvements become evolutionary rather than revolutionary. Where all the features you NEED are there and maybe there are just a few that you would like.

Where speed or capacity exceeds the need for that speed or capacity. Audio is getting to that point if it hasn't already.

The earliest DAWs were 4 or 8 tracks. Clearly not enough. When 24 track DAWs came out, it was enough for some, but not for others. As higher track counts became available, more people found ways to need those track counts, and thus reason to complain they wanted more.

But today, you don't hear so many people complaining about this. It's not that they have learned to dial it back, it's that modern DAWs and computers can handle the necessary track counts for almost everyone, even if those track counts are 'ridiculous'. This is the technology 'maturing'. It's not the issue it once was.

Quote:
Seriously, technical progress never ends, it just stalls for a while

Yes but first there had to be an unmet need. What is the need that today's DAWs do not meet?
Old 14th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Mmmmmm.. no logic X yet.. I don't know why, but It doesn't look good guys. For all we know the original emagic team might be already gone! Maybe that's the reason why apple want to hire new audio app coders? And I wouldn't hold my breath on the Redmatica thing.. Maybe it's a new "smart" instrument for the iPad. Or maybe something for the next GB version. Regardless, 3 years without a serious update it's a "bit" excessive! If protools 64bit comes out before logic I think i'm gonna switch. Let's see what happen..
Old 14th September 2012
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Yes
Old 14th September 2012
Lives for gear

Of course,what haven't they killed lately,that used to benefit the Pro Audio people's?
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by solidstate ➡️
Regardless, 3 years without a serious update it's a "bit" excessive!
+ 1

Its indeed been way too long since the last release. They better come up with the best version so far
Old 14th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
If they are basically starting over from scratch which im pretty sure they are and thats what Logic really needs. That just takes a ton of work and a long time, not to mention the standards that are already set by its predecessors and competitors alike.
It's not like just introducing a new daw, which is gonna have plus and minuses. It's like digidesign completely redesigning protools from the ground up and expecting it to work better than ever, and still be somewhat familiar.
Also I would imagine there are technology patent infringements and licensing agreements to worry about, and searching for work arounds if the agreement doesn't happen, etc..
Then the debugging just so it's launchable!!
That's just plain gonna take a while.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnevz ➡️
If they are basically starting over from scratch which im pretty sure they are and thats what Logic really needs. That just takes a ton of work and a long time, not to mention the standards that are already set by its predecessors and competitors alike.
It's not like just introducing a new daw, which is gonna have plus and minuses. It's like digidesign completely redesigning protools from the ground up and expecting it to work just as well. Also I would imagine there are technology patent infringements and licensing agreements to worry about, and searching for work arounds if the agreement doesn't happen, etc..
Then the debugging just so it's launchable!!
That's just plain gonna take a while.
Yes, if they indeed are doing that, which, we don't know. Besides that, Steinberg did this already when they started Nuendo and Cubase SX. That took a few years too, tho' seems less if we count the years from Apple Emagic aquisition.

RGH
Old 14th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Starr ➡️
No, actually we don't know. It could be of course that you are right, but it could mean also the opposite that nobody left, but that they're simply expanding the team. The first is not good, tho', why putting a vacancy if you have no plans...

RGH
I've heard from what i consider to be a reliable source that the European Emagic Logic Team no longer exists and that they were all laid off. Can anyone else corroborate this? somebody must know something, either way. This would tie with those posts being advertised but points to them hiring a team for either a logic rewrite or something completely new. Either way, something big is going down re Apples pro music apps.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldphinga ➡️
I've heard from what i consider to be a reliable source that the European Emagic Logic Team no longer exists and that they were all laid off.
No, they're not. All the answers are already on this 52 pages long thread about this exact same subject : https://gearspace.com/board/music-co...x-rumours.html
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
I've heard from what i consider to be a reliable source that the European Emagic Logic Team no longer exists and that they were all laid off. Can anyone else corroborate this? somebody must know something, either way. This would tie with those posts being advertised but points to them hiring a team for either a logic rewrite or something completely new. Either way, something big is going down re Apples pro music apps.

Yeah, right! I heard the same thing at last NAMM and 2 months later the 9.1.7 update was coming out....

KA
Deleted fe72b38
Well whatever Logic Pro is, isn't or will be ....

It certainly isn't enjoying any feel good factor at the moment.

The Apple corporate attitude of secrecy and mystery may suite creating a "vibe" surrounding iMacs, iPads and iPhones but IMHO is doesn't suite a community oriented application like a DAW workstation.

Steinberg/ Yamaha have a dedicated forum, I get lot's of almost daily buzzy emails about the latest this and that and updates, deals! etc etc.

I'm sure other DAW's also have a good community spirit.

Then there's Logic - the "Malfoy" of the DAW world .... I think Logic's a great app, well it was an early pioneer of DAW's but Apple haven't exactly gone out of their way to put a smile on the face of their loyal user base.

Maybe that's not important to you, fair enough, but I do see the reason for so many dark clouds around Logic these days.

tht
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Let's face it people, the original Emagic team left a while ago!! That's why they hiring people.. That's the last thing that we wanted to hear.. But I wouldn't be surprised if they just started to pick up the pieces of whatever code it's left..
Old 14th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Let's face it people, the original Emagic team left a while ago!! That's why they hiring people.. That's the last thing that we wanted to hear.. But I wouldn't be surprised if they just started to pick up the pieces of whatever code it's left..
Ok then, who left? Gerhard L is still head of Logic development as he was in the Emagic days. So who left i ask you?
Deleted fe72b38
Quote:
Originally Posted by kim olesen ➡️
Ok then, who left? Gerhard L is still head of Logic development as he was in the Emagic days. So who left i ask you?
Yeah and the Queen of England is still the head of the UK! (symbolically that is)

People get old and retire, especially when they get rich, Charlie Steinberg left years ago and now his son is coding!

Maybe he is still active, but maybe he just is there on the board so to speak, as a non exec.

I find it hard to believe after 30 years that he is still firing on all cylinders 12 hours a day to code Logic X .... I find it very hard to believe, but maybe that's a reflection of what I'd do if my company was bought out for $30m :-)

tht
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I've heard from what i consider to be a reliable source that the European Emagic Logic Team no longer exists and that they were all laid off.
Your "reliable source" is full of what makes the grass green. I can tell you that that absolutely is NOT true.
Old 14th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastWest Lurker ➡️
Your "reliable source" is full of what makes the grass green. I can tell you that that absolutely is NOT true.
Ladies and gents we have snared a beta tester out in the open!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted fe72b38 ➡️
Yeah and the Queen of England is still the head of the UK! (symbolically that is)

Classic! LMAO
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Then explain all the delay! If they have a dedicated team that is FOCUSED to do only one thing and one thing only, why on earth they are taking so long? And why they went through all the trouble to recode logic 64 bit in 9.1 if they knew they were going to make major changes in the software's code with the next major release?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Ladies and gents we have snared a beta tester out in the open!
No I am not but I am a member of another Apple group that I cannot discuss without violating my NDA.
Old 14th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastWest Lurker ➡️
No I am not but I am a member of another Apple group that I cannot discuss without violating my NDA.
Thanks. And @solidstate: can you please stop your asumptions. The logic team has not left/been laid off. It still includes a roster of the original emagic team.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
@solidstate: can you please stop your asumptions. The logic team has not left/been laid off. It still includes a roster of the original emagic team.
Your assumptions(that the original team is developing a new version of logic) are as good as mine. Unless you have hard evidence and can prove otherwise, you shouldn't act like you know more than i do
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
My windows Logic 5 update is due...
Old 14th September 2012
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
The technology Apple got when they acquired Redmatica looks perfectly suited to Logic and Apples basic philosophy. Simplify. Automatic keymapping, automatic looping, automatic sampling of hardware synths and drum machines. I'll bet they build it into the next version of Logic... or Garage Band? I still have hope that there's more to come.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Your assumptions(that the original team is developing a new version of logic) are as good as mine. Unless you have hard evidence and can prove otherwise, you shouldn't act like you know more than i do
Well I DO know more than you, and you can look at my signature and take my word for it because I cannot "prove it" without violating my NDA.

Or not. Your choice
📝 Reply