Quantcast
Is rMBP faster then cMBP for audio? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Is rMBP faster then cMBP for audio?
Old 12th September 2012
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Is rMBP faster then cMBP for audio?

I need to make a decision about my next purchase, quickly, and after going through the few threads here which compare the performance of each device, the consensus seems to be that equally spec'd rMBP and cMBP perform equally well in the audio domain.

However, these recent graphs tell a slightly different story:

MacBook Pro 15-inch and 13-inch non-Retina models occupy the consumer space Review | Macworld

The significant points, for me, are

- Speedmark measures 50% improvement in rMBP
- MathematicaMark8 shows equal performance between the two

The first stat makes me believe I would hugely benefit from a rMBP, and the second doesn't.

What is the truth here?

Also, I've read the rMBP screen mode can be configured to be 'true resolution' (1:1) - are folks taking advantage of that, and is even usable? Or are most audio apps completely unreadable?

Much appreciated for any advice!
Old 12th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
rMBP has SSD
Old 12th September 2012 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Beatsmith ➡️
rMBP has SSD
Good point, though SSD doesn't tip it for me - I'm more concerned about CPU restrictions.

thanks though..
Old 12th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
They're basically the same. The only difference being in rMBP is you don't have a choice for a 7200rpm drive, have no SuperDrive and the screen being superior. Downside what you buy is what you get. Forget about upgrading memory and SSD. I'm sure it can be done, but it's a nightmare to even try it.
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by phas3d ➡️
They're basically the same. The only difference being in rMBP is you don't have a choice for a 7200rpm drive, have no SuperDrive and the screen being superior. Downside what you buy is what you get. Forget about upgrading memory and SSD. I'm sure it can be done, but it's a nightmare to even try it.
Cheers - That's good enough for me. I just went cMBP, 3.7 quad, hi-res, anti-glare, faster drive - RAM can be expanded can't it? There wasn't a 16GB option..
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by CinningBao ➡️
Cheers - That's good enough for me. I just went cMBP, 3.7 quad, hi-res, anti-glare, faster drive - RAM can be expanded can't it? There wasn't a 16GB option..
I'd suggest doing your own mods. There is no "official" 16GB option but 16GB works just fine in my 2 week old cMBP.

Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Good point, though SSD doesn't tip it for me - I'm more concerned about CPU restrictions.

thanks though..
Yeah, but that probably explains the difference in the benchmarks - some take into account HD speed, some don't
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breaks Dude ➡️
I'd suggest doing your own mods. There is no "official" 16GB option but 16GB works just fine in my 2 week old cMBP.

Thanks for confirming
Any good deals (UK) you are aware of?
Old 12th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Not really, can't get any 'deals' with apple stuff... unless... you know someone who's at uni (student or employee...).........

dot dot dot.
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Beatsmith ➡️
Yeah, but that probably explains the difference in the benchmarks - some take into account HD speed, some don't
Good point - though I couldn't find anything on that page which explicitly states that the tested rMBPs have SSD.
I tried to ignore the graphs which present graphical and disk efficiencies,
I just need fast CPU to deal with live PhysMods and real-time effects.
Old 12th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
What´s a cMBP?

As far as I know there´s only MBP and rMBP.
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearNerd ➡️
What´s a cMBP?.
(c)lassic
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
(c)lassic
Sorry, did not know that Apple changed the name to Classic Macbook Pro.
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearNerd ➡️
Sorry, did not know that Apple changed the name to Classic Macbook Pro.
I'm not sure they have! Have they? The store is down (mysteriously..) so I can't check. I'm just being my usual difficult self..
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Good point - though I couldn't find anything on that page which explicitly states that the tested rMBPs have SSD.
I tried to ignore the graphs which present graphical and disk efficiencies,
I just need fast CPU to deal with live PhysMods and real-time effects.
Hey,

All Retina MBPs have SSDs, there's no mechanical HD option
Old 12th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Exactly. Like I pointed out before
Old 12th September 2012
GCL
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Other diff is rMBP is significantly quieter. Just upgraded from a 2011 (same structure and fans as 2012 cMBP), and for audio the retina is almost always silent compared to the loud fan noise from the cMBP, especially when pushing it CPU-intensive tasks. And although the rMBP fans kick in a lot less, when they do, the noise is a lot less than with the cMBP.
Old 13th September 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
I don't know what anyone here is talking about...noise? My cMBP is quiet as can be. My i7 tower with the big Coolermaster heat sink on the other hand...
Old 13th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
For the love of god, stop calling MBP cMBP! There´s no such thing as the cMBP.
Old 13th September 2012
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
As long as it has an SSD, the MBP should have nearly identical performance as the rMBP, right?
Old 14th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by globularballoon ➡️
As long as it has an SSD, the MBP should have nearly identical performance as the rMBP, right?
Correct.
Old 6th February 2013 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breaks Dude ➡️
Correct.

Perhaps even a bit faster? If I understand correctly, with the increased pixels on the rMBP, it might take a few more ms to refresh the extra pixels, but it's a moot point in terms of the amazing performance difference with SSD. I own a new rMBP 2.6/512ssd/16gb. It boots in 15 seconds, and is very fast on refreshes. I'm not recommending it for everyone as there is little optimized software for the retina display, but since it was my first personal laptop, I wanted to be ready for the software to come, instead of buying a MBP and later a rMBP. Warning though, once you see a optimized pictures or pages for the retina display, it spoils you, kinda like having a cataract removed, imho.
Old 9th February 2013 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blues Rocker ➡️
Perhaps even a bit faster? If I understand correctly, with the increased pixels on the rMBP, it might take a few more ms to refresh the extra pixels, but it's a moot point in terms of the amazing performance difference with SSD. I own a new rMBP 2.6/512ssd/16gb. It boots in 15 seconds, and is very fast on refreshes. I'm not recommending it for everyone as there is little optimized software for the retina display, but since it was my first personal laptop, I wanted to be ready for the software to come, instead of buying a MBP and later a rMBP. Warning though, once you see a optimized pictures or pages for the retina display, it spoils you, kinda like having a cataract removed, imho.
Apple was just the first to introduce ultra high resolution screens in notebooks, others are following already. The obvious next step is that software will be adapted. It was wise to invest in newer technology. I'm still amazed by people who decide to go for a regular MBP instead of a way more advanced (very slim, silent, retina display) and cheaper rMBP. A quick comparison at the Apple store will result in the following:

regular MBP, 1440 x 900:
2.6GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.6GHz
8GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x4GB
512GB Solid State Drive
SuperDrive 8x (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
Backlit Keyboard (English) & User's Guide (English)

$3099

retina MBP, 2880 x 1800:
8GB 1600MHz DDR3L SDRAM
512GB Flash Storage
super drive is optional and sold for $79

$2799

Oh, another reason... the incredible quality of the retina display. One can easily increase the screen resolution to 1920 x 1080 in Logic and everything remains crisp and detailed. And NO, things are not getting too small. Check it out yourself at a local Apple store! I have a rMBP and know what I'm talking about. Also, Apple will optimize Logic X for retina displays, that's a no brainer.

Last edited by Teemeister; 9th February 2013 at 10:53 AM.. Reason: added something
Old 9th February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Why would you upgrade to SSD on non retina MBP through Apple? It's insane the price you pay for that. A Mushkin Direct Chronos Deluxe 480GB costs about $400 + 16GB through crucial is $95.99 and add the stock reugular MBP at 2.6GHZ at $2,199.00. That puts it at under $2700 with double RAM and a faster SSD drive.
Also you can through an optibay put the HDD that comes with it (I would pay the $50 to get the 750GB 7200rpm HDD upgrade though) you just replace the superdrive and there. An OS drive and a HDD for audio work inside the MBP.
It's a no brainer!!!
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teemeister ➡️
Apple was just the first to introduce ultra high resolution screens in notebooks, others are following already. The obvious next step is that software will be adapted. It was wise to invest in newer technology. I'm still amazed by people who decide to go for a regular MBP instead of a way more advanced (very slim, silent, retina display) and cheaper rMBP. A quick comparison at the Apple store will result in the following:

regular MBP, 1440 x 900:
8GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x4GB
512GB Solid State Drive
SuperDrive 8x (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)

$3099

retina MBP, 2880 x 1800:
8GB 1600MHz DDR3L SDRAM
512GB Flash Storage
super drive is optional and sold for $79

$2799

Oh, another reason... the incredible quality of the retina display. One can easily increase the screen resolution to 1920 x 1080 in Logic and everything remains crisp and detailed. And NO, things are not getting too small. Check it out yourself at a local Apple store! I have a rMBP and know what I'm talking about. Also, Apple will optimize Logic X for retina displays, that's a no brainer.
That argument holds up just long enough until the page goes to macsales.com, where it doesn't cost that at all for the "old" MBP.

2.6Ghz MBP sourced with 8GB and SSD from OWC:

$2700. And according to some people like Alex Lindsay, who uses it for video production, say the regular MBP is slightly faster than the rMBP.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by polaris20 ➡️
And according to some people like Alex Lindsay, who uses it for video production, say the regular MBP is slightly faster than the rMBP.
Maybe for video since the the retina displays demands way more processing than the regular display. Doubt that it is the case for audio work.
Old 10th February 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by phas3d ➡️
Maybe for video since the the retina displays demands way more processing than the regular display. Doubt that it is the case for audio work.
Probably true, however it'll be awhile before I want to take that plunge anyway.
Old 14th March 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
I would be the last guy to want to "sell" people on the rMBP just because I own one, especially if it's not the right product for their needs. However, after using my rMBP for 3 months now (it was my first personal laptop) I could not imagine my life without mine. I got the 15" version and Logic Pro 9 just looks great on it, even without the optimization that will, no doubt, come with Logic X. I wear trifocals and even I can read clearly every icon in Logic on the retina display 15".
📝 Reply