Quantcast
Alternative to Roxio Toast in burning Audio CDs w/ TEXT. (Toast doesn't label files) - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Alternative to Roxio Toast in burning Audio CDs w/ TEXT. (Toast doesn't label files)
Old 11th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Alternative to Roxio Toast in burning Audio CDs w/ TEXT. (Toast doesn't label files)

I work in a studio where people often bring in CDs to import tracks and I burn a lot of CDs for clients to bring home and listen to roughs and such. It's a ridiculously common problem where I pull up a CD and all of the files are labeled "Audio Track 01, Audio Track 02," etc. I got so frustrated I started researching the problem. All of our studios have Toast and I'm assuming most people use this program to burn CDs. I found out that Toast just never bothered to include that feature on the Mac OS version. It is not possible to burn a CD with Toast and have your files labeled correctly.

From Toast website:
"Note: The Mac OS and iTunes are unable to display CD-TEXT."
Adding CD-TEXT information to audio CDs with Toast or Jam

Which leads me to my question, what alternative C D burning software do you use that actually labels files correctly?
Old 7th October 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Still haven't figured this one out
Old 8th October 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Interesting. I used to have this issue but now I don't. I have an older version of Toast Lite which seems to have track info correctly reproduced in CD Text. In fact, I have to relabel files to get rid of suffixes suck as mix123. Also artist and composer info seem to be there. Not quite sure how I got there - it was trial & error.
Old 8th October 2012
Tui
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
AASteveo, the Roxio site seems to say that OS X can't display CD-TEXT by itself, but only when using additional software:

"To view CD-TEXT information on the Mac:
Insert an audio CD with CD-TEXT information into the recorder
Launch Toast or Jam and select Recorder --> Disc Info. You will see the CD-TEXT information.

Note: The Mac OS and iTunes are unable to display CD-TEXT."
Old 9th October 2012 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I have an ancient version of Roxio Toast Lite (6.0.7). I have the option to check the CD-TEXT box. When I do so, the info in my track seems to imprint onto CDs from my studio such that when imported into another machine, these details seem to be there. Title and artist for sure. Other fields are hit and miss. Can't speak in any way to the later versions.
Old 11th October 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by pianoman ➑️
I have an ancient version of Roxio Toast Lite (6.0.7). I have the option to check the CD-TEXT box. When I do so, the info in my track seems to imprint onto CDs from my studio such that when imported into another machine, these details seem to be there. Title and artist for sure. Other fields are hit and miss. Can't speak in any way to the later versions.
Interesting. I've tried hitting that CD-TEXT box and it seems to do nothing on the studio rig. I'll have to check which version they have. The additional software option isn't practical in my case, though. I'm giving people reference bounces and they go home with a cd, import the files, and they all show up as 'Track 01'. Which is extremely dangerous because then you have the artist making mix notes on the wrong version and they have no way of knowing which files are current. I always make detailed notes with a Sharpie on the cd label itself, but you know most clients aren't going to re-label files. It's such a hassle.
πŸ“ Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…