Quantcast
USB3.0 Interfaces - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
USB3.0 Interfaces
Old 11th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
USB3.0 Interfaces

when are they going to bring out usb 3.0 interfaces? this would be so fast that any latency wouldnt be possible.
any guys from any interface companies please reply aswell as other useful comments
Old 11th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzu ➑️
when are they going to bring out usb 3.0 interfaces?
So far audio interface companies have skipped usb 3.0 for the faster Thunderbolt. USB 3 has been around since 2009 and audio interface companies have ignored it continuing to use usb 2 when making newest usb interfaces. Maybe we will see a company like RME go USB 3 instead of Thunderbolt but I doubt it.
Old 11th September 2012 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by work2do ➑️
So far audio interface companies have skipped usb 3.0 for the faster Thunderbolt. USB 3 has been around since 2009 and audio interface companies have ignored it continuing to use usb 2 when making newest usb interfaces. Maybe we will see a company like RME go USB 3 instead of Thunderbolt but I doubt it.
oooh link me up to this thunderbolt stuff this is new territory for me. do you need to buy an adaptor or pci card for it to work? can you link a thunderbolt system to a laptop? please go into detail as to how it works.
Old 11th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
It does seem like usb 3 interfaces would end up being more compatible with pc's and macs now, but Avid just announced the HD series with thunderbolt or pcie interfaces.
Old 11th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
USB3 nor Thunderbolt will bring any significant latency improvement to interfaces. They offer improved bandwidth, which means you might be able to run more channels over a cable, but not lower latency.
Thunderbolt could improve latency as close to a PCIe card but not better, but regarding the fact that there is close to no Windows solution, added costs and not much benefit other then portability (it only makes sense for laptops and iMac type systems), it is not very tempting for a manufacturer to invest in this technology which is still not much off the ground at a reasonable price point.

And then Intel is supposed to bring Lightpeak to the market, which is supposed to be superior anyway. But I hate speculation like that, so let us just wait and see. It will take long anyway before audio companies release new technology products anyway.
Old 11th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
bottom line no point point to either. but Leon is right if anything it will be lightpeak.
lightpeak will give you options much like an erector set.. just plug in various peripherals.
Old 11th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
is it worth waiting to build a computer with light peak? rather than building one in a few months
Old 11th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
check this out
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
is it worth waiting to build a computer with light peak? rather than building one in a few months
there is no such thing as lighteapk yet. LP is the faster version of TB.

there are a FEW Z77 motherboards with TB on it

again from my POV pointless other than on a laptop.

there are supposed to be releasing lightpeak cards and supposedly someone i released TB cards. still have not seen them..

Scott
ADK
Old 11th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Light Peak demo at 2010 IDF, part 2 - YouTube check this out. also isnt light peak the same as thunderbolt. isnt thunderbolt the official name of light peak.
Old 11th September 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Light Peak demo at 2010 IDF, part 2 - YouTube check this out. also isnt light peak the same as thunderbolt. isnt thunderbolt the official name of light peak.
No its not,and its not needed at the moment,unless you have an uad Apollo or other tb interface.

Maybe in 3 years it will be the standard...

Sent from my PC36100
Old 11th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Well, the future promises always look better, don't they? But if you need to get work done today, you need to buy a solution that works today; and you should never buy manufacturers promises for tomorrow.
Old 11th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
yeh i just read this CES 2011: What was missing? Intel Light Peak | PC Perspective explaining that fibre optic was too expensive. to recreate. so there going with copper which is what usb 3.0 uses. so wtf?
Old 11th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Thunderbolt is the copper variety of Lightpeak, minus intended speed etc.

My suggestion: don't wait for either. TB interfaces might make sense if you use mac iTops.
Old 11th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
hmm i could always add a light peak port via pci card later right?
Old 12th September 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
hmm i could always add a light peak port via pci card later right?
It would reduce speed,if an adapter is made.

But I'm sure one will be made,after people will buy it.

Sent from my PC36100
Old 12th September 2012 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYINGJAY ➑️
It would reduce speed,if an adapter is made.

But I'm sure one will be made,after people will buy it.

Sent from my PC36100
why would it reduce speed? are you saying it would be faster to get one attached directly to the motherboard?
Old 12th September 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
why would it reduce speed? are you saying it would be faster to get one attached directly to the motherboard?
Yes,getting a pci-e adapter will only run as fast as the max pci bandwidth.

Tb is many times faster than pci-e.tb also has lower latency i/o speed.

Sent from my PC36100
Old 12th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
in the videos on youtube when they were doing there testing it was a pci card with the fibre optics onto the pci card.....
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] ➑️
Well, the future promises always look better, don't they? But if you need to get work done today, you need to buy a solution that works today; and you should never buy manufacturers promises for tomorrow.
Yeah,the whole promise of UAD's Apollo,with "Win7 by Summer 2012"support eventuated to nothing.

TAFKAT[GS forum guru] has pretty much proven that RME's PCI/PCIe is still the standard,as far as Low Latency is concerned,though I wish I could understand why more manufacturer's don't use "ethernet" like the Focusrite "RedNet"?
RK
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rksguit ➑️
Yeah,the whole promise of UAD's Apollo,with "Win7 by Summer 2012"support eventuated to nothing.

TAFKAT[GS forum guru] has pretty much proven that RME's PCI/PCIe is still the standard,as far as Low Latency is concerned,though I wish I could understand why more manufacturer's don't use "ethernet" like the Focusrite "RedNet"?
RK
that makes sense at least every computer has that capacity and ethernet is pretty fast
Old 12th September 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
that makes sense at least every computer has that capacity and ethernet is pretty fast
Hdmi as well,almost all video cards have hdmi ports,hdmi can be as fast as tb,like 10gps

Sent from my PC36100
Old 12th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Why not getting a PCIe audio interface instead of getting a Lightpeak/TB PCIe interface and then hooking up an audio interface?
And yes, every adapter solution will increase the chances on extra latency, quality degradation, interference, instability and incompatibility. But one thing is sure: it will be a lot more expensive.
Old 12th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I wish I could understand why more manufacturer's don't use "ethernet" like the Focusrite "RedNet"?
RK
Because it uses the Dante protocol by Audinate, requires licensing and afaik a certification process. Rednet was planned to be on the market summer 2011.
Yamaha and Digico already use Dante in FOH setups for years though. Great specs, full redundancy options etc. Check our Dante page for more info.
Old 12th September 2012
Lives for gear

Hey Leon,what about DANTE?,Iv'e been looking on the "audinate" website,attempting to understand it,is it the future or what?

Or is it a "touchy" subject,as it's no better than your suggestion,of just get a PCIe card?
RK

EDIT:I must have posted ^ just as you were answering,sorry about that.
Old 12th September 2012
Lives for gear

My deal personally is,Iv'e nearly bought an RME HDSPe PCIe card,and so then I need to buy a "Multiface" to plug into it,but the Multi,has NO XLR ins,or Pre's!

Then there's the fact that I'm actually using my Laptop most of the time,and thanks to the "extinction" of the Express Card slot[where I could have bought a "hammerfall" device-for both desktop AND laptop] I'm left with only USB,on that machine,even though it also has HDMI,Mini Display Port,Ethernet[all UNUSED!].
The "what" interface part of Daw on computers is STILL the biggest bug,in the whole deal for sure!
RK
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
My deal personally is,Iv'e nearly bought an RME HDSPe PCIe card,and so then I need to buy a "Multiface" to plug into it,but the Multi,has NO XLR ins,or Pre's!

Then there's the fact that I'm actually using my Laptop most of the time,and thanks to the "extinction" of the Express Card slot[where I could have bought a "hammerfall" device-for both desktop AND laptop] I'm left with only USB,on that machine,even though it also has HDMI,Mini Display Port,Ethernet[all UNUSED!].
The "what" interface part of Daw on computers is STILL the biggest bug,in the whole deal for sure!
RK
tons of pro laptops still offer the express card slot.
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAW PLUS ➑️
Why not getting a PCIe audio interface instead of getting a Lightpeak/TB PCIe interface and then hooking up an audio interface?
And yes, every adapter solution will increase the chances on extra latency, quality degradation, interference, instability and incompatibility. But one thing is sure: it will be a lot more expensive.
explain how this works? you need two audio interfaces to work one? or you get the pcie audio interface and run something like an octepre through it? via adat?

also i think the advantage of lightpeak/thunderbolt is that it does streaming/data transfer/ image display in both directions at 10gbps aswell as the option to daisy chain different devices with one or two cables.

hence why i think they don use hdmi. as far as i know hdmi is only used to display images. can it also be used for data transfer?

ethernet seems to be a viable option because of the implementation of being able to go up for 100mbits a sec or more.

whats the clear issue with ethernet and why isnt there alot of interfaces with this connectivity?
Old 12th September 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
hence why i think they don use hdmi. as far as i know hdmi is only used to display images. can it also be used for data transfer?
Yea you right,but with drivers,just like Ethernet the bandwidth is there.

I think most digital signals can be used for audio.

Sent from my PC36100
πŸ“ Reply