Quantcast
USB3.0 Interfaces - Page 3 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
USB3.0 Interfaces
Old 17th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
I doubt we'll see any USB3.0 audio interfaces anytime soon - if ever. USB3 has been around for around four years and no-one has even hinted at one.

Thunderbolt, on the other hand, had interfaces announced almost immediately and we already have Windows compatible motherboards. We should see T-bolt smartphones and Tablets in the next few years.
Old 18th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by blim ➡️
I'm not sure I understand. There are plenty of PCs out there that have "built-in" (i.e., on the motherboard) USB 3.0.
Yes,I find Bob's statement confusing as well,as Iv'e had a USB 3.0 dell laptop[XPS L502x]since April 2011,and my Desktop GA-Z68XP-UD3[rev.1]has USB 3.0,as well,and I'm pretty sure that motherboard was available,since around the same time........I think he's referring to "USB 3.0 on mac's".
RK
Old 18th September 2012
Motown legend

🎧 15 years
I'm talking about USB3 on most new computers including Macs.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAW PLUS ➡️
USB3 nor Thunderbolt will bring any significant latency improvement to interfaces. They offer improved bandwidth, which means you might be able to run more channels over a cable, but not lower latency.
Avid having now built a TB interface and development of the software under same house is going to give them a clear advantage to get a very low latency portable system.
USB 3 does not have a very good steady data throughput that TB and Firewire has - which is clearly important for audio.
USB will always have a lower I/O capability the TB or Firewire.
Motown legend

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by T_R_S ➡️
...USB 3 does not have a very good steady data throughput that TB and Firewire has - which is clearly important for audio...
This was true of USB1 and USB2 but I've seen nothing suggesting it's true for USB3. USB3 has massive bandwidth compared to firewire and is not one-way transmission like USB 1 and 2 are.

It really comes down to a question of how much is required for low latency audio production activities. There is undoubtedly a point of diminishing returns and a very high probability that USB3 will perform as well as TB and undoubtedly better than firewire. We won't know for sure until USB3 interfaces are released and that won't happen before manufacturers have a chance to extensively test the new generation of computers and tablets having only USB3 built in.
Old 18th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Avid having now built a TB interface and development of the software under same house is going to give them a clear advantage to get a very low latency portable system.
USB 3 does not have a very good steady data throughput that TB and Firewire has - which is clearly important for audio.
USB will always have a lower I/O capability the TB or Firewire.
I agree with Bob on his reply regarding USB3 bandwidth, although I don't expect many USB3 interfaces.

Regarding HD Native TB, their latency info is not updated yet, they still use that biased and very incorrect HDN PCIe chart.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAW PLUS ➡️
I agree with Bob on his reply regarding USB3 bandwidth, although I don't expect many USB3 interfaces.
But still, if we return to the OP and his needs, what he wants to do can be done today, using today's technology, without having to wait for Buck Rogers and his Lost Planet Airmen to bring us some future solution.
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] ➡️
But still, if we return to the OP and his needs, what he wants to do can be done today, using today's technology, without having to wait for Buck Rogers and his Lost Planet Airmen to bring us some future solution.
what i would like is the lowest latency possible best quality sound and 8 mic pres with 192 khz capability each with there own phantom power and a few with hiZ inputs. whats the best way and price?
Old 19th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson ➡️
This was true of USB1 and USB2 but I've seen nothing suggesting it's true for USB3. USB3 has massive bandwidth compared to firewire and is not one-way transmission like USB 1 and 2 are.
Bandwidth has nothing to do with it, CONTINUOUS DATA THROUGHPUT has everything to do with it.
USB 1, USB2 and YES USB 3 has terrible data smooth throughput compared to FW & TB.
Data must flow evenly through the interface something USB is not capable of doing effectively.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Bandwidth has nothing to do with it, CONTINUOUS DATA THROUGHPUT has everything to do with it.
USB 1, USB2 and YES USB 3 has terrible data smooth throughput compared to FW & TB.
Data must flow evenly through the interface something USB is not capable of doing effectively.
If you've ever used RME UFX, you might change your idea. I guess it's dependent on who writes the driver.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzu ➡️
what i would like is the lowest latency possible best quality sound and 8 mic pres with 192 khz capability each with there own phantom power and a few with hiZ inputs. whats the best way and price?
RME Raydat, and ADI-8 + choice of 8ch preamp.
or
RME Raydat, +Micstasy.

You can get less than just $6000
wait..this is USB3.0 thread???
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] ➡️
Yes, it can be done, I just don't think manufacturers are in a hurry until both the OSX and Windows worlds both use the same "new" connection type in their systems. Maybe if TB finds its way in PC laptops and becomes a standard on mainboards. I am not a fan of guessing and providing rumours based on rumours, so I don't even accept my own "maybe" as an answer...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masaaki ➡️
If you've ever used RME UFX, you might change your idea. I guess it's dependent on who writes the driver.
I concur. Also I am curious about the UB MADI, which does 48ch I/O over USB2. Hope to test one soon.
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
RME Raydat, and ADI-8 + choice of 8ch preamp.
or
RME Raydat, +Micstasy.

You can get less than just $6000
wait..this is USB3.0 thread???
thats way to expensive. plus id have to build a new pc to do it as im on a laptop for now.
and yes this is a usb 3.0 thread because i was wondering if there is a faster alternative to usb 2.0
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzu ➡️
thats way to expensive. plus id have to build a new pc to do it as im on a laptop for now.
and yes this is a usb 3.0 thread because i was wondering if there is a faster alternative to usb 2.0
Best sounding 8ch pre @192kHz comes with price tag. but why do you need 192kHz? Have you compared the sound of 96kHz sampling vs 192kHz sampling, and liked 192kHz better?

If not, RME Babyface would be the choice for you.
It's got 2ch preamps, and low latency performance @ 96kHz, and it's expandable via ADAT later on.

No USB3.0 interface yet. And yes, the only faster alternative to USB2.0 in terms of low latency performance is, PCI/PCIe solutions.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Thanks Masaaki! I sort of ignored the Babyface and am glad to hear it has ADAT! It might work for me while traveling, especially if I can expand it. I 've been setting a new laptop (my first laptop) and will build a new desktop this Dec. or sooner, if I can. The laptop is intended for me being able to work on tracks and tunes, while "wintering away" from home (and most of my studio and instruments). I've been watching for a usb3 I/O and this thread has been very illuminating, to say the least! I expected TB to take a while to get to PC territory and wondered how long the RME PCIe route would hang in there. Thanks to all for this thread. Michael
Old 20th September 2012 | Show parent
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcintalker ➡️
Thanks Masaaki! I sort of ignored the Babyface and am glad to hear it has ADAT! It might work for me while traveling, especially if I can expand it. I 've been setting a new laptop (my first laptop) and will build a new desktop this Dec. or sooner, if I can. The laptop is intended for me being able to work on tracks and tunes, while "wintering away" from home (and most of my studio and instruments). I've been watching for a usb3 I/O and this thread has been very illuminating, to say the least! I expected TB to take a while to get to PC territory and wondered how long the RME PCIe route would hang in there. Thanks to all for this thread. Michael
The Babyface can only do 4 channels of ADAT at 96 khz.
Old 20th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunjji ➡️
The Babyface can only do 4 channels of ADAT at 96 khz.
and only 2 of 192... a function of the ADAT format. But all other I/O handles 192. Again, not sure who needs 192. As I said below, my room has been full 96 for many years and I'm almost the only one who uses it. Everyone else is 44.1 or 48k. But you need what you need.
Old 7th October 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
I agree that RME have really good drivers ( I own a Fireface 800) - but I had to go with a Thunderbolt Native for a Portable rig due to the fact I want to use by Black Lion Avid interface with it.
📝 Reply