Quantcast
Ensoniq Paris - Page 4 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Ensoniq Paris
Old 28th December 2017
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I pulled my Paris system out of storage after over 10 years....turnkey rack mount computer w/ 2 EDS cards and 2 loaded MECs.

Hooked it all up fired her up....crackles and pops everywhere....electrolytic caps popping and smoking....oh well....dumped it all in the recycling at work.

She had a good run, but she's in DAW heaven now.
Old 28th December 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Porto ➡️
I pulled my Paris system out of storage after over 10 years....turnkey rack mount computer w/ 2 EDS cards and 2 loaded MECs.

Hooked it all up fired her up....crackles and pops everywhere....electrolytic caps popping and smoking....oh well....dumped it all in the recycling at work.

Noooooooooooooooo!

I would have at least paid you for the parts. Everything can be fixed at the Soniq, Mike's new ASIO drivers allows PARIS hardware to work with most new DAW's.
Old 29th December 2017 | Show parent
Tui
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:

Sacrilege!!!
Old 29th December 2017 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
At the time of Paris I had two engines in that system wich ment I could play 2x16 channels at a time and had to process the other groups of 16 channels to play as a mixdown. I did a 127 track mix session in that system, it was a trip to hell and back. I could not walk straight after that one:-)
Went for pro tools for a worse sound.
Old 18th January 2018 | Show parent
Here for the gear
Hi guys Noel here I have been using Paris for what seems like foreve. On Windows 95, 98 and now XP. Question please i want to upgrade my computer to Windows 8 or 10 does Paris work on these windows and if so where do I get it. Thanks in advanced. Noel
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Girrgee ➡️
Hi guys Noel here I have been using Paris for what seems like foreve. On Windows 95, 98 and now XP. Question please i want to upgrade my computer to Windows 8 or 10 does Paris work on these windows and if so where do I get it. Thanks in advanced. Noel
Paris can run on Win 7, 8 and 10 with Mike's latest drivers.
Old 18th January 2018
Here for the gear
Mike's latest drive where can I get it,?

🎧 10 years
Quote:
ensoniq.ca
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Drivers, ensoniq.ca
Old 21st January 2018 | Show parent
Here for the gear
Hi where can i get Pari3.o1 thanks]
Old 22nd January 2018 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Hi where can i get Pari3.o1 thanks]
The last I saw they were on the PARIS newsgroup, check there. Contact Kerry or Mike if you have issues finding it.
Old 22nd January 2018
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
In testing PARIS vs. modern DAW's, IMHO I find PARIS is thick, smooth, with a forgiving sonic character while other DAW's are surgical, precise and unforgivably sterile, kinda like the difference between a vintage U47 or U67 in sound and a Sony C800G or Brauner VM-1.
Old 22nd January 2018 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will The Weirdo ➡️
In testing PARIS vs. modern DAW's, IMHO I find PARIS is thick, smooth, with a forgiving sonic character while other DAW's are surgical, precise and unforgivably sterile, kinda like the difference between a vintage U47 or U67 in sound and a Sony C800G or Brauner VM-1.
In my experience, Paris had some additional processing mojo going on at the channel and/or mix bus level. Soft clipping that responded like analog gear. When you pushed the levels, it would compress and you'd get harmonic build up. Definitely had a sound.

There are certainly ways of achieving that in modern DAWS with console mix bus emulations, etc. Paris just had it built in, and was certainly a pioneer in that respect. Didn't Avid come out with "Heat" some time after? And now we have stuff like Waves, Harrison, SSD, etc. console bus emulation.
Old 23rd January 2018 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
In my experience, Paris had some additional processing mojo going on at the channel and/or mix bus level. Soft clipping that responded like analog gear. When you pushed the levels, it would compress and you'd get harmonic build up. Definitely had a sound.

There are certainly ways of achieving that in modern DAWS with console mix bus emulations, etc. Paris just had it built in, and was certainly a pioneer in that respect. Didn't Avid come out with "Heat" some time after? And now we have stuff like Waves, Harrison, SSD, etc. console bus emulation.
Yep I agree, PARIS has a sound of it's own, one I can't duplicate no matter what DAW or plugin I use. That has me returning to PARIS for mixing duties time and time again...... but to each their own.
Old 23rd January 2018 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will The Weirdo ➡️
Yep I agree, PARIS has a sound of it's own, one I can't duplicate no matter what DAW or plugin I use. That has me returning to PARIS for mixing duties time and time again...... but to each their own.
Definitely not going to get anything similar with a channel plugin. It seemed that every gain stage, as well as the mix bus all kind of worked together. Something like the Harrison Mix Bus or Waves NLS may get you close, as those actually replace the DAW's own mix bus with an analog modeled console bus.

Paris acted like a good console. You could just turn up the faders and hit the meters into the red, and it would sound great.
📝 Reply