The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Ensoniq Paris
Old 23rd February 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADKChris ➡️
Hi,
The software is where 90% of the magic happened IMHO.
But that is all Edmund. He never did finish the native version that he hinted at back then. Wish he did. It might still be around in some more viable form still.

Chris
Chris, I believe it's a combination of the software and those DSP chips.

PARIS has its own sound because of the custom ESP2 chips that do all the processing, and why we love it.
Old 23rd February 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Hi @ Will The Weirdo ,

How are you doing mate? Tell me, is Mr Kerry Galloways around because I'm trying to reset my password to log in the forum but not able, I even tried to reset my password, I got an automated new password, tried to log in with the new password and nothing. I then sent an email to Mr Kerry and still no answer from him. Unless he's away. Let me know cuz I want to get in touch with MikeA.

Thank you very much & glad to see all Paris users here. Man feels good ;-)
Old 23rd February 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Email is the best way, as I'm not sure how much Kerry posts here.
Old 24th February 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will The Weirdo ➡️
Yeah, PARIS has never, and still does not have a sound issue, lol. To this day I can't make it sound bad.

I sometimes dream Ensoniq did not sell and PARIS was on v8 now!
Yeah, it was pretty heartbreaking when Creative Labs took over and then completely screwed up and then ultimately killed such a great, ahead of it's time product.

Although they did invest quite a bit in that blue paint
Old 24th February 2016
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Heya guys! Sorry I've been an absentee landlord at the Paris forums for a few days - been burning the candle at all three ends and the middle finishing delivering an album to mix, parenting, teaching and finishing a degree in composition. Things just calmed down in the last few, I'll get the login thing sorted. Thanks for the heads up and nice to see everyone here - heya Chuck!

PS: Mike's still finishing up the frills for the ASIO driver (control panel at the moment) but the rumour is if you ask him nicely...

PPS: the album was done almost entirely in PARIS, and the client is freaking out at the sound quality (a big pile of Sonic Farm preamps helped too!).

PPPS: I love Reaper and am using it for final assembly and edits since it can now read PAF files directly - I just set a new record path to a clean new "EXPORT" folder, select all, "render selection", open the folder, drag the 24-bit PAFs into reaper and *bam*, there they are, ready for detail editing...

Last edited by kerryg; 24th February 2016 at 09:46 AM..

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solar ➡️
I got an automated new password, tried to log in with the new password and nothing.
I now have exactly the same problem. I reset my password. And I can no longer log in.

Help!

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Yes, but as Mike's new ASIO drivers are in Beta, contact him directly about testing them, he's on the PARIS forum, a very nice guy.
Thanks! I got response from Mike, he will send me drivers for beta testing with Reaper.

Will let you folks know on the latency and overall performance.
Old 24th February 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickard Bengtsso ➡️
Ok, so I imported some drumfiles that I recorded with Paris for 12 years ago into my PT10 system with mytek 8x192 converters.
I am really satisfied with my mytek converters and clock etc but I actually were amazed how good the recording sounded from the Paris sessions that were done that way back of the digital age:-)
The Paris software were all ****ty and that were the main reason whay I shifted to prootools.
It makes me wonder how that system would sounded and worked today If they had continued with the development of that system.

It is a shame;.)

Best Rickard
agree brown GUI right? Have 1st and only Mac Giga (was on that team), like Giga, sounded the warmest, always knew AVID WOULD BE FORCED TO OPEN as buying M-Audio was not going to cut it, pros still use Avid, but FCP is everywhere too and with the net, only going to get bigger and better, depending on next mac pro, if its a dud, they are all consumer based, although in addition to me saying years ago, saw a FCP that looked like iMovie on Steroids, Apple is working on a 32 CORE ARM chip.

Anyway, that system sounded the warmest and you can’t beat tape for hot over 0 guitars, Although some UAD are amazing!
Old 25th February 2016 | Show parent

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerryg ➡️
Heya guys! Sorry I've been an absentee landlord at the Paris forums for a few days
Please help! I can no longer login to your forum. I contacted Mike Audet at the forum, we started the communication, but now he might think i'm no longer interested in beta, because i can no longer login and communicate with anyone.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Solaris ➡️
Please help! I can no longer login to your forum. I contacted Mike Audet at the forum, we started the communication, but now he might think i'm no longer interested in beta, because i can no longer login and communicate with anyone.
Same here Mr Kerry. I tried to connect with the new Log & temporary password but never was successful. Let's hope you'll be able to fix this for us.

Impatient :-)

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Login fixed now! At least for me.

I also PM-ed you contact for Mike Audet.

Still awaiting for the drivers to start the beta testing.
Old 6th March 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Solaris ➡️
Login fixed now! At least for me.

I also PM-ed you contact for Mike Audet.

Still awaiting for the drivers to start the beta testing.
How's the ASIO working out for you?
Old 6th March 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckduffy ➡️
I always thought about the possibility of opening up the entire effects subsystem to asio, but it seemed like a lost cause technology wise.
Chuck, how can we port over EPS2 EFX from the ASR10 or DP series FX, into PARIS?
Old 8th March 2016 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Chuck, how can we port over EPS2 EFX from the ASR10 or DP series FX, into PARIS?
I gave everything I had to Mike Audet years ago. He ported about 15 ESP 2 effects from the DP/PRO - most of the verbs, compressors, limiters, the guitar cab, some eq.

ensoniq.ca

Chuck
Old 28th June 2016
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Hi,

I have a good working Paris system running on a Win98 rig (don't laugh please )
Now I decided to move the system to a more silent rig running some modded fans, but on the same OS

Fortunately I still have the Paris 2.2 software backupped but didn't do this with the driver that's needed to install the EDS
It used to be available @ this link http://www.parisfaqs.com/software/paris_105_drivers.exe but since I don't know when, not anymore :(

Anybody out there still having this ancient piece of bytes backupped? I think '105' refers to version 1.05, but not quite sure about this.

Thanx in advance

Last edited by MacGyverGear; 28th June 2016 at 09:37 PM..
Old 28th June 2016 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacGyverGear ➡️
Hi,

I have a good working Paris system running on a Win98 rig (don't laugh please )
Now I decided to move the system to a more silent rig running some modded fans, but on the same OS

Fortunately I still have the Paris 2.2 software backupped but didn't do this with the driver that's needed to install the EDS
It used to be available @ this link http://www.parisfaqs.com/software/paris_105_drivers.exe but since I don't know when, not anymore :(

Anybody out there still having this ancient piece of bytes backupped? I think '105' refers to version 1.05, but not quite sure about this.

Thanx in advance
Hi there - Kerry, the Paris Forum admin here. I accidentally messed up the server's DNS settings just before I left on tour. I'll get back on fixing it, but in the meantime I'll send you the drivers via email (I assume that's you that emailed me earlier?). Sorry for the inconvenience, it'll be business as usual shortly!
Old 29th June 2016
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Hi Kerry, Thank you so much for your message.
I started getting a bit afraid on getting my system up and running again.. but after I posted and ran through this thread things got a bit more clear.

Sorry for being inpatient.
Old 9th October 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear
I am patiently waiting for my registration on the Paris forums to be approved by an admin. It has been a couple of days, and nothing seems to have happened.

On a more important note, what is the current state of Paris software? I recently came to own an EDS1000 card, MEC with 8 O/P card and a C16 controller, but it doesn't have any software with it. I was kinda hoping to set it up running Paris 3.0 on an old G4 mac along with some other old goodies (like a Digidesign Samplecell card and software, etc)...

But! I just read that Intelligent Devices no longer wants anything to do with Paris software. It that true? No more license sales, transfers or response codes issued for the PACE copy protection?
Old 9th October 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDStudios ➡️
I am patiently waiting for my registration on the Paris forums to be approved by an admin. It has been a couple of days, and nothing seems to have happened.

On a more important note, what is the current state of Paris software? I recently came to own an EDS1000 card, MEC with 8 O/P card and a C16 controller, but it doesn't have any software with it. I was kinda hoping to set it up running Paris 3.0 on an old G4 mac along with some other old goodies (like a Digidesign Samplecell card and software, etc)...

But! I just read that Intelligent Devices no longer wants anything to do with Paris software. It that true? No more license sales, transfers or response codes issued for the PACE copy protection?
ID has not supported the software since 2001, but there is a PACE free version that works with Win 7/8.1/10 x64. Mike Audit has been working on ASIO that allows PARIS hardware to be used with any x86 DAW and he is also working on allowing the C16 to act as a control for other DAW's.
Old 10th October 2016 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDStudios ➡️
Sorry for the delay - you should be up and running now! Edmund authorized the release of a PACE-free version of PARIS so authorization issues should be a thing of the past, but if that solution doesn't work for you (PARIS 3.01 has a couple of fixes but a couple of new issues too) then let us know on the forum, we might have workarounds.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
ID has not supported the software since 2001, but there is a PACE free version that works with Win 7/8.1/10 x64. Mike Audit has been working on ASIO that allows PARIS hardware to be used with any x86 DAW and he is also working on allowing the C16 to act as a control for other DAW's.
Man this is great news again @ Will. Wooow Mike is an outstanding guy and his effort he has put into re-working the codes and keeping PARIS alive is out of this world. I had a few conversation with Mike and he got me installed PARIS back again.. and I did and man, when I fired up PARIS, i was like in heaven back again.
Unfortunately I had to re-install my system from Fresh going to SSD but now I'm gonna install the BEAST again. Especially if @ Will you're saying we can use PARIS as ASIO soundcard to playback whatever DAW we want like Reaper or Studio One etc...? For reaaal?

Now you got me curious and going to install the drivers back up and tomorrow I'll be testing things out.

Hopefully Mike will be able to get the C16 work with x64 bit DAWs as well. Would be simply awesome.

Ahh men PARIS Sound engine. Just pure beauty. Wish the masterminds of PARIS get back together, I swear I'd invest in them and rebuild the DAW & System from the ground up again hahahaha

Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Sorry for the delay - you should be up and running now! Edmund authorized the release of a PACE-free version of PARIS so authorization issues should be a thing of the past, but if that solution doesn't work for you (PARIS 3.01 has a couple of fixes but a couple of new issues too) then let us know on the forum, we might have workarounds.
Hi Mr Kerry!

It's MY again, I was wondering if you could also check my account, since last time I contacted you (i think it's been now over all summer) up till today, I just went and tried to log it again and all i'm getting is same ERROR: Insufficient Privileges

my login name is: officialmy

I'm sure you'll be able to find that log name. Let me know if you could get me a temp password so I can be able to log in.

Thanks a lot in advance ;-)

Best,
Lives for gear
Quote:
Quote:

Thank you! I appreciate it. I will start a thread over at the Paris forums.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
you're saying we can use PARIS as ASIO soundcard to playback whatever DAW we want like Reaper or Studio One etc...? For reaaal?
I've been beta testing Mike's ASIO for about 1.5 years now. I can get down to 128 buffer in Studio One 3.2, Live 9.6 and Reaper 5.2 but so far only in x86 versions. He's going to attempt an x64 ASIO soon. FWIW is great to use PARIS hardware in other DAW's.

Quote:
Now you got me curious and going to install the drivers back up and tomorrow I'll be testing things out.
If you need anything, let me know.

Quote:
Hopefully Mike will be able to get the C16 work with x64 bit DAWs as well. Would be simply awesome.
He's in process with the C16 drivers, I'm sure they will be great too.

Quote:
Ahh men PARIS Sound engine. Just pure beauty.
Yep, pre mixing with Nebula/Acqua and final mixing is PARIS provides a sonic bliss most will never know.

Quote:
Wish the masterminds of PARIS get back together, I swear I'd invest in them and rebuild the DAW & System from the ground up again hahahaha

Sadly, Steven passed away so that is impossible now, PARIS was his baby.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I've been beta testing Mike's ASIO for about 1.5 years now. I can get down to 128 buffer in Studio One 3.2, Live 9.6 and Reaper 5.2 but so far only in x86 versions. He's going to attempt an x64 ASIO soon. FWIW is great to use PARIS hardware in other DAW's.

If you need anything, let me know.

He's in process with the C16 drivers, I'm sure they will be great too.

Yep, pre mixing with Nebula/Acqua and final mixing is PARIS provides a sonic bliss most will never know.

Sadly, Steven passed away so that is impossible now, PARIS was his baby.
Hi @ Will

Thanks for replying mate ;-) This is great news about the C16. going to send an email to Mike in the coming days.

Check your DM ok!

Peace
Old 2nd December 2016
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Is there anybody still using Paris 2.2 on windows '98? I have the installer for the Program itself but lost the driver.exe file that's needed to install the EDS cart in the registry.

Thanx in advance (Y)

Edit.. I entered the broken link (I posted before) in the waybackmachine and this gave me some results.
https://web.archive.org/web/*/http:/...05_drivers.exe

Last edited by MacGyverGear; 2nd December 2016 at 12:57 PM..
Old 23rd December 2016 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
PARIS has its own sound because of the custom ESP2 chips that do all the processing, and why we love it.
Chips compute numbers, they don't have a sound. The algorithms (computed by chips) have a sound.
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
I'm no expert but staying within that logic, it seems clear that chips would therefore have an impact on sound insofar as their architecture influenced or dictated what sort of possible algorithms can be run on them.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I'm no expert but staying within that logic, it seems clear that chips would therefore have an impact on sound insofar as their architecture influenced or dictated what sort of possible algorithms can be run on them.
Nearly every microprocessor these days are what is colloquially called: "turing complete".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turing_completeness

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linear_bounded_automaton

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automata_theory

So your assumption is theoretically incorrect.

Now, practically, there can be limitations based on the efficiency of the chip. If a specific set of calculations can't be run 'in time' then there is now a practical limit.
Old 28th December 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddachile ➡️
Chips compute numbers, they don't have a sound. The algorithms (computed by chips) have a sound.
Everything Ensoniq made has a particular sound, it's a combination of the converters, custom DSP chips, and the unique algorithms those custom chips run.
📝 Reply